Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Going blind searching. R22 to PC? Possible

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   koalamotorsport

koalamotorsport

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:35 PM

I've googled to death and see nothing that says outright, YES or NO.

I have a Directv R22 DVR.

Can I hook it up to a PC so that I can watch recorded video on my laptop?

If so, how?

I have plugged a LAN Cable into it, to a router that the laptop is also connected to. The laptop sees nothing. I've looked at setup on the DVR, and it has a section to add IP addresses, etc, but I have no idea what to enter in it. I'm a complete dumbass when it comes to computers outside of vehicles.

Can anyone definitively tell me that it can't be done, or if it can, how to do it. Hell, I'd pay someone to help me get it working if it's possible, rather than upgrading to a more expensive monthly payment for an HD DVR. I have no interest in HD for itself, but if that's the route I have to take to get shows onto my laptop, I'll do it.
My wife is a sports freak and I am SOOOOOO sick of Basketball, Baseball, Football and worst of all, NASCAR, that I'm ready to put a bullet in her head. I can avoid that, and the resulting prison sentence. if I can sit here with my laptop and my Bose headphones, watching the shows I want to watch.

Thanks for anyone that can help a newbie

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 09:59 PM

There is an application you can download called DirecTV2PC that will allow you to stream DVR recordings to your computer over your home network. You cannot *save* or transfer recordings, but you can watch them in full HD via streaming with DirecTV2PC.

https://www.directv....logy/directv2pc

#3 OFFLINE   koalamotorsport

koalamotorsport

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:31 PM

Seriously?

Hmmmm. I'll dig a bit more, after Directv's website comes back up. Seems the web site is about as reliable as the satellite service.

Meantime, are you sure? Because everything I read, including what they state on their web site, says that this program allows streaming video from any Directv HD DVR.

Brett

#4 OFFLINE   sungam

sungam

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:08 AM

Seriously?

... are you sure? Because everything I read, including what they state on their web site, says that this program allows streaming video from any Directv HD DVR.

Brett

Yes, DIRECTV2PC will work with an R22 since the R22 is really an HD DVR in disguise. In fact if you were to add a 'real' HD receiver and HD access to your account, your R22 would become an HD DVR. One thing to keep in mind however, is that the R22 has been discontinued and if it ever needs to be replaced you may well get an R15 or R16 instead; and they won't work with DIRECTV2PC.

#5 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:05 AM

Get a Hava or Slingbox. Those allow to record via analog to your pc
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#6 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:22 PM

One thing to keep in mind however, is that the R22 has been discontinued and if it ever needs to be replaced you may well get an R15 or R16 instead; and they won't work with DIRECTV2PC.

That's not true anymore. Defective R22's will be replaced with R22's now.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#7 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:25 PM

Doing it here with no problems.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#8 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:26 PM

That's not true anymore. Defective R22's will be replaced with R22's now.

- Merg

:( I sold my owned R22 and bought a HR20 because they used to be swapped for R15/R16. Oh well, I guess it will work out better in the long run...
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#9 OFFLINE   koalamotorsport

koalamotorsport

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:26 PM

Thanks. Downloaded and installed.

Now I get to take on the 3 week ordeal of getting the computer to see the DVR.

Both are hardwired to a hub. The hub is not connected to the internet. Anyone care to suggest if that is a problem in itself?

Running Windows 7 Pro, 64bit.

Thanks

Brett

#10 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,225 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:58 PM

Thanks. Downloaded and installed.

Now I get to take on the 3 week ordeal of getting the computer to see the DVR.

Both are hardwired to a hub. The hub is not connected to the internet. Anyone care to suggest if that is a problem in itself?

Running Windows 7 Pro, 64bit.

Thanks

Brett

Shouldn't be.

Make sure that any firewall software that you have on the PC is setup to allow the PC to be able to see other devices on your network. As soon as I hook up a computer to my network, it automatically finds a DirecTV Media device. When you run the test on the DVR, does everything pass except for Internet? Also, is the DVR getting assigned a valid IP address (not 169.254.x.x)?

BTW, :welcome_s to DBSTalk.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#11 OFFLINE   koalamotorsport

koalamotorsport

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:17 PM

Shouldn't be.

Make sure that any firewall software that you have on the PC is setup to allow the PC to be able to see other devices on your network. As soon as I hook up a computer to my network, it automatically finds a DirecTV Media device. When you run the test on the DVR, does everything pass except for Internet? Also, is the DVR getting assigned a valid IP address (not 169.254.x.x)?

BTW, :welcome_s to DBSTalk.

- Merg

Thanks for the welcome mate.

Turned out the router I was using was bad. It was an old one I dug out of a box to try this setup. No internet connection to it either, which would have been a problem, as I found out.

On a hunch, I moved our active wireless router to the machine and cabled it. Everything started working perfectly.

I can now watch TV on my laptop, so I can watch my shows while my wife watches her sports. Love it!

Thanks for the help from you guys. I was about to give up.

Brett

spam firewall