Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Any tips on how to get discounts on programming?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JMCS88

JMCS88

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:29 AM

I am already paying around $130-$150 per month and I have a hard time trying to justify paying much more. I've been with DTV since 2002 and have never been late paying my bill. I would hope that accounts for something with DTV, besides getting anniversary free game lounge subscriptions, which I never use and don't want.

So, do you guys know any tips to work DTV into giving me some good discounts? In particular, I'm looking to get the sports pack rather cheap, at least for a few months.

I know people threaten to cancel but I'm kind of scared that may backfire. What would be my reason for canceling, ya know? Also, what if they offer me nothing and then I have to go back on my word, I just look stupid then. Ha ha.

I was really hoping some of you may have some kind of advice on getting a good discount. I don't expect to be able to get anything free, although that would be great.

So, if you can help, please post here.

Thank you,
JMCS88

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,903 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:34 AM

Ask, be nice, & explain your situation.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,523 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:47 AM

Sounds like you may be close to benefiting from Premiere.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:51 AM

My recommendation. Ask to speak to customer retention, and have in front of you how much you would pay for your current package on another payTV service, assuming you'd pay significantly less. Then, tell them that you would like to remain with DirecTV, but that your income has stagnated over the last two years. Whatever they offer, try to get it in writing. Right now, it costs DirecTV about 700 dollars to add another subscriber. Obviously, its much cheaper to keep a customer than add one. Good luck.

#5 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:56 AM

If you are paying that much you must have many receivers or a pretty decent programming package already, you can always remove a receiver or two and drop to a lower tiered package. Are you also subbing to a sports package that may be part of your monthly billing?

#6 OFFLINE   JMCS88

JMCS88

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:13 AM

First, thanks for the replies guys.

Well, I have 4 receivers. 3 of which are DVRs and 1 is an HD DVR. Both of my kids have a DVR. The HD DVR is in the living room. The last DVR is in the bedroom.

Right now I have:
PLUS HD DVR Monthly 79.99
HBO, STARZ!, and SHOWTIME Monthly 36.00
DIRECTV Protection Plan Monthly 5.99
GAME LOUNGE Loyalty Gift: 5 Months Free 0.00 - CRAP DEAL HUH?
DIRECTV DVR Service $7.00/mo Included in Base Pkg 0.00
DIRECTV on DEMAND Tune to Ch. 1000 for more info 0.00
Additional Receiver 5.00
Additional Receiver 5.00
Leased Receiver 5.00
BellSouth Answers(SM) Savings -2.00 Credit
Sales Tax 0.95
------------------------
AMOUNT DUE $135.93

That's if we don't order PPV, which we do very often and I try to pay upfront instead of adding to the bill. I buy a lot of UFC PPVs, at around $55.00 extra every other month.

#7 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 662 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:36 AM

First, thanks for the replies guys.

Well, I have 4 receivers. 3 of which are DVRs and 1 is an HD DVR. Both of my kids have a DVR. The HD DVR is in the living room. The last DVR is in the bedroom.

Right now I have:
PLUS HD DVR Monthly 79.99

DIRECTV Protection Plan Monthly 5.99
GAME LOUNGE Loyalty Gift: 5 Months Free 0.00 - CRAP DEAL HUH?
DIRECTV DVR Service $7.00/mo Included in Base Pkg 0.00
DIRECTV on DEMAND Tune to Ch. 1000 for more info 0.00
Additional Receiver 5.00
Additional Receiver 5.00
Leased Receiver 5.00
BellSouth Answers(SM) Savings -2.00 Credit
Sales Tax 0.95
------------------------
AMOUNT DUE $135.93

That's if we don't order PPV, which we do very often and I try to pay upfront instead of adding to the bill. I buy a lot of UFC PPVs, at around $55.00 extra every other month.

I pay $1 less for the premier tier including all these channels and the sports pack. I would switch to premier now.

#8 OFFLINE   JMCS88

JMCS88

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:05 AM

I called and they told me by switching to Premier, my bill would be about $145.00 plus tax, which he said would be about $150.00 total, without PPV.

#9 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,564 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 12:10 PM

I'd seriously consider cutting back on the UFC PPVs. And maybe cut back on the premiums. Is the Protection Plan really cost effective?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,523 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:25 PM

There's the one that's kicking your but. Premier will cost you a little bit more and the DVR fee will no longer be included, but you'll get the SPORTS PACK and Cinemax.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#11 OFFLINE   DirectMan

DirectMan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:23 PM

Invite some friends over for the UFC PPV and have them all chip in $10 per person for the event. Or watch it free at a local bar many show it free.

#12 OFFLINE   JMCS88

JMCS88

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:26 PM

Well, actually after a lot of back and forth with DirecTV, I got $20.00 off my bill for 12 months.

#13 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 03:45 PM

Just call up and tell the automate system Clatto Verata Nicto

spam firewall