Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Power Inserter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gomezma1

gomezma1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 460 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:05 PM

Do the power inserters used on SWM dishes get pretty warm being on all the time. Can I unplug it? If so, will that damage anything by doing this all the time?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 11:11 PM

I am using a PS21 and it isn't warm.

I wouldn't plug/unplug it all the time. Think of a light bulb. On/Off/On/Off/On/Off is going to wear it out faster than on all the time (or off all the time!)

Plus you have to power down the receivers first, then when you want to plug it in, you have to turn the receivers on after it is powered up. This would be a PITA not only for having to unplug the receivers all the time but also for waiting for them to boot. You also wouldn't get any recordings if you have a DVR.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#3 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:51 AM

They can run a bit warm depending on their location.

Do not unplug and plug it back in all the time, it should be left powered on.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#4 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,701 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:56 PM

Don't have the spec for the inserter in front of me but as a rule of thumb the heat is normally in the power supply (transformer) unit. A lot of manufacturers use those annoying plug space hog external transformers to keep the heat away from their device electronics without having to architect bulkier and more engineered devices.

Things with internal power supplies need to have an installation instruction. My first SPAUN multiswitch was mounted by my electrician with the power supply at the bottom. After a year the heat rise had ruined the adjacent ports.

During the warranty replacement phase I found the mounting instruction (supposed to be to the LEFT side which put the hottest point on the side at the top) and forwarded it on to the electrician for future reference and did the cut over to my replacement unit myself following the instruction.

I would doubt this "power inserter" generates heat in the coax realm.

Don "transformers, more than heats the device" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

spam firewall