Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Looking for an R20 series DVR(to buy)....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   missparker10

missparker10

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:08 PM

I am getting my SD DVR replaced but I am sure DTV is going to send me the R15, since I read here that the R20 is no longer being made.

I need the R20 series because that DVR enables you to send out captions from the DVR unit itself and with the R15 series, the CC's can only be viewed from the TV. And my TV doesn't do CC"s too well right now.

So I am posting here, wondering if anyone might know of a good place to buy one that's not on Ebay. Have people had good experiences with
Solidsignal?

Edited by missparker10, 01 April 2010 - 10:59 PM.
Wrong forum

"Hope your apple pie was freakin' worth it!"

Equipment - 5 LNB(AT9),
Sharp Aquos LC52D62U 52-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV(connected via HDMI) HR20-700(hardwired to router),
Vizio LCD L32(connected via HDMI) HR20-700(hardwired to router)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   missparker10

missparker10

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:15 PM

I was just wondering if maybe I am wrong about the subject. I think I read in this forum somewhere that the R15 series doesn't have the option on the DVR itself to turn on and off captions. Does anyone know if the R16 can or can't?

Equipment - 5 LNB(AT9),
Sharp Aquos LC52D62U 52-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV(connected via HDMI) HR20-700(hardwired to router),

#3 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:30 PM

I believe you are referring to the R22 as there is no model called the R20. Yes, DirecTV does have it's own version of CC (DirecTV Captions) built into the R22 software, so if your TV does not handle CC very well, you might be able to use DirecTV's version.

As for purchasing an R22, you can post a WTB ad in the Buy, Sell, Trade forum here on DBSTalk, but you have to be a DBSTalk Club Member to post in that forum. As for finding one at a retailer, that is most likely not going to happen. Your best bet, if you really want one, is to get one off of ebay or Craigslist. Just make sure to get the receiver ID prior to purchasing and confirm with the Access Card Team at DirecTV that the receiver is owned and will be able to be activated. You will also need to purchase a new Access Card for the receiver for $20 from DirecTV.

As for outputting the DirecTV Captions from the unit itself and CC can only be viewed from the TV, I'm not sure what you mean. What are you trying to do with captions?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#4 OFFLINE   missparker10

missparker10

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:45 AM

As for outputting the DirecTV Captions from the unit itself and CC can only be viewed from the TV, I'm not sure what you mean. What are you trying to do with captions?

- Merg

Merg, thanks for the info. I was sort of afraid to look on Ebay for something like that, because I read of people having quite a few problems. I saw one at SolidSignal.com for about $100. I might look into that. I definitely have no problem becoming a Club Talk member, as this site has been more than helpful.

As far as your question, I just think I didn't phrase it quite right. What I meant was if I get an R15, I would still have to count on the TV outputting the CC signal, which it's not doing properly at this time. And that is why I need, and again you are correct, an R22, I had the model wrong.

Equipment - 5 LNB(AT9),

#5 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:19 AM

$99 was the retail cost of the R22 as a lease. If you get it from Solid Signal, be aware that it will be a lease and you will not own the box. If you deactivate the receiver, you will need to send it back to DirecTV.

- Merg

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 07:10 AM

Also, the R22 has been discontinued for, oh, 8-9 months already, so actually finding one isn't going to be easy.

#7 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:43 PM

Also, the R22 has been discontinued for, oh, 8-9 months already, so actually finding one isn't going to be easy.

Surprisingly, as the OP stated, it is listed at Solid Signal. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if after you order it you get an e-mail stating it is out of stock.

- Merg

#8 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 02 April 2010 - 05:19 PM

Instead of looking to buy a DirecTV receiver, I would call DirecTV and tell them that you have a hearing-impared viewer and the caption decoder on your TV isn't working. Ask them about obtaining a receiver (HD or DVR) that has a caption decoder built in. They might surprise you!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

Protected By... spam firewall...And...