Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

R16-300 bad picture on HDTV

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   willis3

willis3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 304 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:44 AM

Ok I just bought a HDTV, wow the picture is really bad. It look good on the old CRT..

I have it connected by S-Video as the r16 doesn't
have component or hdmi... Is this just something I have to deal with until I upgrade to HD?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:47 AM

Ok I just bought a HDTV, wow the picture is really bad. It look good on the old CRT..

I have it connected by S-Video as the r16 doesn't
have component or hdmi... Is this just something I have to deal with until I upgrade to HD?

Yep, SD on HD sets look like garbage, the HD can just show how bad a SD picture looks. If you're close to your local stations you might want to hook up an over the air antenna so you at lease get the local stations in HD.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:51 AM

CRTs inherently help a low-res signal look better, so you don't notice how little information there really is in an SD signal. Plus, I'll bet your HDTV is much larger than your old CRT, so that small amount of information has to be stretched across a much larger area.

If you think SD looks bad now, wait until you get used to watching in HD and then have to go back...

#4 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:27 AM

For me SD on a HD set looks ok on the small range (up to 22"), poor but tolerable on mid range (22"-32"), and absolute crap on larger (32"+) sets. Thats just my personal viewpoint. Yours may shift higher or lower.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#5 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,484 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:09 AM

Proper adjustment of the HDTV's video settings using a video calibration DVD (Avia, Digital Video Essentials) can help somewhat.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#6 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:59 AM

Unfortunatly the problem is your video source. No matter how you connect an sd feed to an hdtv (of a certain size +) its going to look just awful. The good news is with the launch of D12 theres newver been a better time to upgrade :)
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#7 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:24 PM

I've noticed that the SD picture on an HDTV set varies due to several things.

When I bought my HDTV last summer, I knew I would be watching a lot of SD programming so the ability of the TV to display SD with reasonable quality was a must. When I went to the TV dealer I was shocked to find that all the TV sets were being fed by a DirecTV HR21!! It was early on a Monday morning so the salesman told me I could play with the HR21 all I wanted and observe the result on all the TV's on the wall-so I did.

ALL HDTV's look great when receiving a true HD signal (which is why most stores feed them with a Blu-Ray DVD). But when you switch to 480p that really separates "the men from the boys". I couldn't BELIEVE the difference in picture quality among all the different sets. I just thought the only thing you needed to have is the screen size you wanted and the brand you liked. WRONG!!

I was going to buy a Toshiba 42" set priced at around $700. The picture looked AWFUL in 480p. I noticed a Toshiba REGZA 42" TV nearby had a much, much better SD picture-and it was also much, much more expensive. ($1100). Guess which set I bought? Yup, the more expensive one and since I have to sit and watch it every night I'm glad I did.

After I got the TV home I hooked it up to the S-VIDEO output of an R15-300 because that was the DVR already at that location. The picture was OK but I wondered how much better it would look if connected to my R22 using an HDMI cable. WOW!!!! What a difference! And I still don't have HD from DirecTV for that very reason.

I'll bet you bought one of the lower-cost HDTV's after seeing the HD picture in the store. If so, you are kind of stuck with fuzzyvision until you pop the $199 and commit to 2 more years of DirecTV.

Live and learn as they say!!! ;)

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#8 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:25 PM

Unfortunatly the problem is your video source. No matter how you connect an sd feed to an hdtv (of a certain size +) its going to look just awful. The good news is with the launch of D12 theres newver been a better time to upgrade :)

Spoken like a valuable DirecTV employee... :D

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#9 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,793 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:28 PM

I've noticed that the SD picture on an HDTV set varies due to several things.

When I bought my HDTV last summer, I knew I would be watching a lot of SD programming so the ability of the TV to display SD with reasonable quality was a must. When I went to the TV dealer I was shocked to find that all the TV sets were being fed by a DirecTV HR21!! It was early on a Monday morning so the salesman told me I could play with the HR21 all I wanted and observe the result on all the TV's on the wall-so I did.

ALL HDTV's look great when receiving a true HD signal (which is why most stores feed them with a Blu-Ray DVD). But when you switch to 480p that really separates "the men from the boys". I couldn't BELIEVE the difference in picture quality among all the different sets. I just thought the only thing you needed to have is the screen size you wanted and the brand you liked. WRONG!!

I was going to buy a Toshiba 42" set priced at around $700. The picture looked AWFUL in 480p. I noticed a Toshiba REGZA 42" TV nearby had a much, much better SD picture-and it was also much, much more expensive. ($1100). Guess which set I bought? Yup, the more expensive one and since I have to sit and watch it every night I'm glad I did.

After I got the TV home I hooked it up to the S-VIDEO output of an R15-300 because that was the DVR already at that location. The picture was OK but I wondered how much better it would look if connected to my R22 using an HDMI cable. WOW!!!! What a difference! And I still don't have HD from DirecTV for that very reason.

I'll bet you bought one of the lower-cost HDTV's after seeing the HD picture in the store. If so, you are kind of stuck with fuzzyvision until you pop the $199 and commit to 2 more years of DirecTV.

Live and learn as they say!!! ;)

Buying a HDTV and not watching HD on it is a waste of money.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#10 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:36 PM

Buying a HDTV and not watching HD on it is a waste of money.

You are correct. If I could have bought another tube-type SDTV I would have as I was perfectly happy with my 18 year old 31" Magnavox until it blew out. Spending money to fix it would have also been a waste of money.

Tell me where I can buy an SDTV nowadays, please.

#11 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,793 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:57 PM

You are correct. If I could have bought another tube-type SDTV I would have as I was perfectly happy with my 18 year old 31" Magnavox until it blew out. Spending money to fix it would have also been a waste of money.

Ebay? Craigslist?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#12 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:06 AM

Wal-Mart

They have some SD DTVs...but they are smaller screen sizes.

http://www.walmart.c...3823456&depts=T
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

spam firewall