Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Meter for aligning a DISH 1000.2

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   taboss

taboss

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:50 AM

I've been using the $15 satellite finder to align a dish 1000.2 for my RV and at home. It is hard to get all 3 satellites lined up (110, 119, 129), but I can finally get it after awhile. I saw the Acutrac III + advertized and it stated it can lineup the DISH 1000.2 using the "Multi mode". So I purchased one from an online dealer. However, after receiving it I had no success at all. I couldn't get a consistent signal to show where any of the 3 satellites were. Also, while using the meter it would blank out frequently and then restart. I'm not a professional installer, but I do have a basic knowledge of how to use meters. Has anyone successfully used the Acutrac III + to align the DISH 1000.2? If so, can you help me with the correct process?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   davejacobson

davejacobson

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:56 AM

I use the Acutrac II with no problems. I have to power the meter with the receiver because the DPP lnbs take a lot of current. So are you using the receiver to power the meter? Do you have the 22khz mode turned off on the meter? With only 2 inputs on the meter I have I usually hook up 119 and 129 and have little trouble withe finding the sats.
A good serviceman is not expensive or free. He is priceless

#3 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:27 AM

I've been using the $15 satellite finder to align a dish 1000.2 for my RV and at home. It is hard to get all 3 satellites lined up (110, 119, 129), but I can finally get it after awhile. I saw the Acutrac III + advertized and it stated it can lineup the DISH 1000.2 using the "Multi mode". So I purchased one from an online dealer. However, after receiving it I had no success at all. I couldn't get a consistent signal to show where any of the 3 satellites were. Also, while using the meter it would blank out frequently and then restart. I'm not a professional installer, but I do have a basic knowledge of how to use meters. Has anyone successfully used the Acutrac III + to align the DISH 1000.2? If so, can you help me with the correct process?

I picked up an Acutrac III+ when it came out a couple of years ago spcifically for use on the 1000.2. I've used it since with out problems. I'll tell you how I use it to tune the 1000.2. As you know this meter does not ID the sats like some other meters do, (wish it did) so locking onto the 119, 110 and 129 can be kind of challenging at first. Knowing the general location of the sats is neccesary. I my area, in the western arc, most streets run due north and south and I can often align the dish without using a meter. In other areas, a compass helps. From the Acutrac menu, select "Multi Mode". Press ok twice. 3 signal strength meters should appear. "DiSEqC-SCAN" should be displayed at top right portion of display. I believe the sats displayed from top to bottom are 119,110 and 129. I just peak the signals as high and equal as possible. The "zoom" feature helps to max the signal strength. As far as your meter shutting down and restarting, I have not experienced this. Mine will occasionally shut down if I drop it or bump it sharply but it never turns itself back on. Hope this helps.

p.s. If the battery voltage drops into the 10's They may shut down as well

#4 OFFLINE   jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:48 PM

If you use the battery power to ID signal from one lnb, you can view the results on the meter. But as soon as you plug in a jumper from the second lnb, too much power is being drawn that the battery is not able to supply. And you'll see the signal levels drop out or an "over current" message displayed on the meter. You'll need to connect the wire coming from the sat input of the rcvr to the end of the Accutrac signal meter with the one connector. The rcvr will send enough voltage to the meter for you to view the signal levels from both lnb's simultaneously. :icon_cool:icon_cool:icon_cool

#5 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:15 PM

If you use the battery power to ID signal from one lnb, you can view the results on the meter. But as soon as you plug in a jumper from the second lnb, too much power is being drawn that the battery is not able to supply. And you'll see the signal levels drop out or an "over current" message displayed on the meter. You'll need to connect the wire coming from the sat input of the rcvr to the end of the Accutrac signal meter with the one connector. The rcvr will send enough voltage to the meter for you to view the signal levels from both lnb's simultaneously. :icon_cool:icon_cool:icon_cool

Are you referring to a situation where a wing dish is being used in conjunction with the 1000.2 DPP lnbf? Prior to the introduction of the 500+, I used a wing dish occasionally for HD plus international installs. In the western arc there's not much need for that setup any more. In my experience, this meter works very well on the 1000.2 (no wing dish) which I believe is what the OP has.

#6 OFFLINE   jarvantgroup

jarvantgroup

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 04:54 AM

I'm referring to using the Accutrac on an lnb with dpp technology. There are no issues when usung the Accutrac with DP technology, 500+'s, wing dishes, etc. The OP says he's looking for a meter for his 1000.2. Generally, when using an Accutrac to point a dpp lnb, the lnb requires more voltage than the battery is able to supply when attempting to ID two signals at once. The meter generally shuts off or reads overcurrent when trying to aim a 1000.2, 1000.4 or dpp twin.

#7 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:06 PM

I'm referring to using the Accutrac on an lnb with dpp technology. There are no issues when usung the Accutrac with DP technology, 500+'s, wing dishes, etc. The OP says he's looking for a meter for his 1000.2. Generally, when using an Accutrac to point a dpp lnb, the lnb requires more voltage than the battery is able to supply when attempting to ID two signals at once. The meter generally shuts off or reads overcurrent when trying to aim a 1000.2, 1000.4 or dpp twin.

Interesting, I've been using my acutrac III+ on the 1000.2 for a couple of years now and have never experienced what you are describing. I always tune all three and sometimes 4 orbital locations simultaneously with no issues at all. About a month ago I did have to finally replace it's batteries. They lasted over 2 years. Wish my Ryobi 18v's lasted that long. Your unit or it's batteries may be defective or worn out if yours is not performing up to par.

#8 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 12:12 PM

......But as soon as you plug in a jumper from the second lnb, too much power is being drawn that the battery is not able to supply......

Re-reading your post, I am not sure what you mean when by "as soon as you plug in a jumper from the second lnb......"

#9 OFFLINE   ebmsjml

ebmsjml

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:53 PM

try hooking up a recvr to one of the outputs on the lnb & let it help power the lnb

#10 OFFLINE   VDP07

VDP07

Godfather

• Registered
  • 481 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:16 PM

try hooking up a recvr to one of the outputs on the lnb & let it help power the lnb

The acutrac III+ has an input that allows it to be used like an inline meter and be powered by the reciever voltage for those times that you forget to charge it up.

spam firewall