Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket Survey says Stand-Alone Redzone

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:30 PM

Dunno if this has been posted, but I recently went from NFLST Auto Renewal to "Manual Renewal" (aka cancel).

I just received an email from DirecTV inviting me to participate in a survey. It said if "Qualifying" questions were answered, I would be asked to continue to the rest of the survey.

I must have "Qualified" because I was asked to go forward, and the next page I got this (attached PDF). Read towards the bottom regarding non-NFLST DirecTV customers and Red Zone.

Attached Files

BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,929 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:33 PM

Interesting, wonder if they had to do this to be competitive with cable and Dish?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:33 PM

Nice find! I will definitely be adding that!
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   davemayo

davemayo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:34 PM

I dropped NFLST a couple of years ago because it got too expensive. Depending on the "monthly fee," I would subscribe to RZC by itself.
Go Hoos!

#5 OFFLINE   mpar1

mpar1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:37 PM

Same here. I will add this so long as the monthly fee isn't outrageous (no more than premiums)

#6 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,139 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:38 PM

I would add it

JACK,

#7 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:39 PM

Here's the exact quote from the doc for those that don't want to open the .pdf:

Finally, DIRECTV subscribers who don't subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket can purchase just the Red Zone Channel (all the plays inside the 20 yard line and the other most exciting moments taking place in each game) on their television for an additional monthly fee.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:51 PM

That about sums it up :D
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#9 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,603 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:52 PM

It says:

"NFL Sunday Ticket brings you every NFL game, live -- and beginning this year all games are available in HD."

I thought last season 2009 all games were HD already.

#10 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:54 PM

WHOO HOO!! Sign me up.

#11 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:00 PM

Anyone catch this from the PDF:

While NFL Sunday Ticket subscribers can get the online and mobile phone package at a
discount, you don’t have to subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket to purchase the online and mobile package.

Looks like the whole NFLST program is going a la carte.

#12 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:00 PM

It says:

"NFL Sunday Ticket brings you every NFL game, live -- and beginning this year all games are available in HD."

I saw that too, and it is confusing because all games have been available in HD for a few years now. I also noticed that SuperFan isn't mentioned anywhere in that pdf. It has me wondering if they are getting rid of SuperFan altogether and they will just offer the RedZone Channel by itself, or Sunday Ticket which includes all the old SuperFan features.

Anyone catch this from the PDF:

While NFL Sunday Ticket subscribers can get the online and mobile phone package at a
discount, you don’t have to subscribe to NFL Sunday Ticket to purchase the online and mobile package.

Looks like the whole NFLST program is going a la carte.

I saw that too. I guess that means they are going to charge for SuperCast this year, but NFLST subscribers get a discount. I don't know if I'd really say it is going a la carte though.

#13 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:02 PM

This is awesome news! I have a feeling the standalone RZC will be very popular. I wonder if it'll be DirecTV's version or the NFL's version?

#14 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:03 PM

It says:

I saw that too, and it is confusing because all games have been available in HD for a few years now. I also noticed that SuperFan isn't mentioned anywhere in that pdf. It has me wondering if they are getting rid of SuperFan altogether and they will just offer the RedZone Channel by itself, or Sunday Ticket which includes all the old SuperFan features.

I'd venture to guess they're doing away with Superfan, too, based on that comment. Technically NFLST never had all games in HD... unless you had NFLST with Superfan. So maybe they're saying this is the first year because it technically is the first year for all HD to be included in the base package.

#15 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:05 PM

So maybe they're saying this is the first year because it technically is the first year for all HD to be included in the base package.

That's what I'm thinking. They're gonna ditch SuperFan and include most of it's old sutt in NFLST, but they are going to split SuperCast off on it's own. Maybe $100 for Supercast for non subscribers, and $50 for NFLST subscribers?

I wonder if you'll have to be a D* subscriber to get SuperCast, or if they will open it up for anyone with a computer/phone that wants to get it?

#16 OFFLINE   bdowell

bdowell

Icon

• Registered
  • 665 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:10 PM

Big thumbs up for this. If the cost isn't crazy (I can get RedZone channel from Verizon for $49 for the whole season, or so I seem to recall their price structure as...) I'll add the RedZone channel in a heartbeat. Since the two teams that I care about following are already consistently broadcast in my market, I don't *need* Sunday ticket except for its value for monitoring fantasy league players. RedZone channel works incredibly well for that and should be so much cheaper than the prices for Sunday ticket are that it should be worth subscribing to.
Xbox Live gamertag/PSN id: terpfan1980

#17 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,282 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:14 PM

If Superfan is going away, that means they can get rid of the -1 channels and just use the overlay. Satracer explained to me a while back that they have the -1 channels because of HD subscribers that did not opt for Superfan.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#18 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:17 PM

I wonder if you'll have to be a D* subscriber to get SuperCast, or if they will open it up for anyone with a computer/phone that wants to get it?

A while ago they said it would only be available to people who either have or can't get DirecTV, if I remember correctly.

#19 OFFLINE   Ken984

Ken984

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:21 PM

I believe all games were in HD last year but this season is the season that the NFL has mandated to the networks(CBS & Fox) that they are required to show all games in HD.

Samsung 65-es6550-HR44-700-Denon AVR-2311CI, XBOX360, Win Media Center 7, Samsung BD-D6500

#20 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,603 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:22 PM

It says:

Technically NFLST never had all games in HD... unless you had NFLST with Superfan. So maybe they're saying this is the first year because it technically is the first year for all HD to be included in the base package.

Yes but then technically ST doesnt give you every game either like SNF, MNF, NFLN games etc.

spam firewall