Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Found The Perfect Web Companion For The HD DVR

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2010 - 01:57 PM

I know I have been posting alot about wanting wanting DTV's HD DVR to come with a web browser but now I don't care about that anymore since I have found this awesome HD DVR Web companion. These are two different videos. I wont be posting a web browser for the HD DVR anymore posts. Introducing the HP Slate Tablet. This is supposed to be available for preorder in June for around $540.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:06 PM

This seems to have nothing to do with the DIRECTV product line and as such I'm moving it to Tech Talk.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:13 PM

For $540 this thing looks awesome if it delivers.

The key thing will be how it is in actual use, looks great in the promos!
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,839 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:13 PM

Soooo, how will you make it a DVR?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,212 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:15 PM

probably will undersell the iPad by millions...
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#6 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:20 PM

This seems to have nothing to do with the DIRECTV product line and as such I'm moving it to Tech Talk.

Sorry I wasn't sure were to put this since I was discussing a web browser on a HD DVR before.

#7 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:21 PM

Soooo, how will you make it a DVR?

I was posting alot about wanting DTV to put a web browser on their DVR but now that I saw this I don't care about that anymore. This looks like it will have a DVR dock to hook to an HDTV. Something like that was shown in those videos.

Edited by CraigerCSM, 05 April 2010 - 02:42 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,839 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:23 PM

I was posting alot about DTV putting a web browser on their DVR but now that I saw this I don't care about that anymore. This looks like it will have a DVR dock to hook to an HDTV. Something like that was shown in those videos.

Most PCs & laptops hook up to HDTVs, already.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#9 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:27 PM

Most PCs & laptops hook up to HDTVs, already.

I only have two HDMI ports and one is used for the DTV HD DVR and the other for a PS3. The PS3's web browser stinks. The games are still cool.

#10 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,839 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:30 PM

I only have two HDMI ports and one is used for the DTV HD DVR and the other for a PS3. The PS3's web browser stinks. The games are still cool.

Problem solved...
http://www.monoprice...109&cp_id=10110

#11 Guest_CraigerCSM_*

Guest_CraigerCSM_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2010 - 02:41 PM

Problem solved...
http://www.monoprice...109&cp_id=10110

I wont be hooking it up to an HDTV anyway, I was just explaining that to the poster who asked how can it be a DVR. I am still not sure if that was a DVR dock in the commercial it may just let you hook it up to an HDTV.

#12 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 03:55 PM

probably will undersell the iPad by millions...

We already know that, simply because of the Apple media machine.

Sales do not reflect how good a device is, sales reflect how well it is marketed in many cases.

Not saying the iPad is better or worse, just saying that sales numbers won't tell the whole story.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#13 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,318 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:20 PM

We (my wife and I) have at least 6 Hewlett Packard desktops and 8 notebooks sitting around here in various rooms (though we're only using 3 desktops and 4 notebooks in any meaningful way). I can say with credibility that we like HP computer products. And until our iPad, we've never owned an Apple product, though many in our extended family use them. So I gave some thought to waiting for a Slate.

The good news is HP does have its TouchSmart PCs and has done a decent job of figuring out how to integrate touch into the Windows OS. The bad news is that's what they've done - shoehorned a touch approach into Windows. I tried the TouchSmart and rejected it for that very reason the last time we bought desktops.

IMHO tablets need an interface for touch as a part of the OS design.

And HP's track record is not very good venturing into markets the deviate much from its core "business-ready" computer - a business they are very good at. True consumer products, not so much. For instance, do many of you own an HP TV? That was going to be a big new move in 2005. See HP ready to introduce 'smart' television sets / Devices to offer hard drives, Wi-Fi capability.

Though Windows 7 is much better than Vista, it's still Windows and programs still "crash" and I'm still constantly cleaning up and....

When I want to do business-stuff on a computer, I'll use a desktop or notebook.

When I want to "rest" in that plumbing filled room and read a newspaper or magazine, I'll use the iPad. If I want to sit on the deck at home and browse the net, I'll probably use the iPad. If, while in the living room where we don't have a TV, I want to watch "The Daily Show" off my DVR via the Slingbox, I'll use the iPad (assuming the Sling folks finish their iPhone App upgrade shortly - and no, I don't want to watch "Lawrence of Arabia" on anything smaller than my 42" plasma).

We have been using PC's since 1980's and have learned the hard way where they just don't work well despite all the changes. I see the iPad having a place where the PC just simply failed - as that device my wife sits on the kitchen counter to look at a recipe as opposed to digging out the kitchen notebook, booting it up, etc. That kitchen notebook never really worked because it and Windows are not convenient nor consumer-friendly.

Maybe I'll be wrong. But I'll be darned if I want to fix a modified Windows 7 OS on what I anticipate as being a convenient, handy, user-friendly tool. I have a 15" notebook if I need to cope with Windows and software and I'm pretty competent with Windows.

We may be buying a second iPad. Or maybe the first iPad will collect dust like dozens of things we tried. But I don't see a Slate in our future. But I've been wrong before.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

spam firewall