Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

CSN - Giants not in HD?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BK89

BK89

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:48 PM

Anybody know why the Giants game is not in HD? Opening night was and now today its not. I thought they said all of the games were HD this year?? The giants website said it is on CSN-HD. Ummm, what am i missing here?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:51 PM

csn bay area HD should be on, are the sharks on? or they using it for the A's does CSN BA and CSN CA share the HD truck?

#3 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,704 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:58 PM

Game shows up on the Astros feed in HD. Not the Giants.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#4 OFFLINE   BK89

BK89

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:01 PM

Giants are on in SD on 696. 696-1 guide data shows "Upcoming: Warriors v Clippers", a game that will be played on Saturday. So second game of the season not in HD - that is just great...

#5 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,704 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:06 PM

Giants say it should be in HD on their webpage.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#6 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:12 PM

i think it is in HD, ill be someone who has comcast cable on the bay area is watching it in HD, not sure why Directv or CSn bay area is skipping ahead of programming.

maybe you can email them.

#7 OFFLINE   BK89

BK89

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:24 PM

i think it is in HD, ill be someone who has comcast cable on the bay area is watching it in HD, not sure why Directv or CSn bay area is skipping ahead of programming.

maybe you can email them.

Yeah, I think it is definitely DirecTVs fault here. There is a Sharks game in HD starting in a few minutes (but that is on CSN-CA not CSN-BA). There is a Warriors game on CSN-BA plus channel right now but that is not in HD either. SO I dont see why DirecTV is not showing either the giants or warriors game in HD. I could see not showing one or the other but why are both of them not in HD? :mad:

#8 OFFLINE   lose2win

lose2win

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:33 PM

A's, Giants, Kings, Warriors and Sharks are all playing today and all games overlap. 5 games on 4 channels, 696 through 699. A's got bumped to 695 accord to CSN BA/CA website. Looks like Sharks and Kings in HD and A's, Giants, and Warriors in SD on Directv.

#9 OFFLINE   lose2win

lose2win

Mentor

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 07:34 PM

FYI...same issue on Saturday for last pre-season game, Giants At A's...HD on Comcast cable in Vacaville, CA, not Directv only got the SD feed. Call and complain, as they may be able to fix it.

#10 OFFLINE   BK89

BK89

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:07 PM

We really need those full time HD channels. Is D12 done testing yet?

#11 OFFLINE   cdbcorn

cdbcorn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:47 PM

I sent an email to Directv about not getting the game in HD. Here's their reply:

I'm sorry to hear that you're unable to receive San Francisco Giants at Houston Astros game in HD on CSN Bay Area. As much as we would like to provide the game on CSN Bay Area in HD, not all games are provided to DIRECTV in HD.

For your reference, the San Francisco Giants at Houston Astros game (04/06/10 8:00 PM ET) in HD is available on:

Channel 725-1 - FSN Houston HD
Channel 678-1 - FSN Houston HD

Not terribly helpful, but it looks like CSNBA may be the problem, not Directv.

#12 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,813 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:01 PM

Someone on here a while back said that the away games aren't available in HD because D* currently doesn't have an HD fiber feed for the away games, but they do have an HD fiber feed for the home games. This should change once we get the full time HD feeds.

#13 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:14 PM

It is exactly as Rat Patrol said until D* picks up the full time HD channel we will not get all the HD Games. Some games are sent via Satellite and some via Fiber. Tonight has been crazy for CSN...696 Giants 697 Warriors 698 Kings 699 Sharks and they had to use another overflow channel 695 for A's. The Kings and Sharks games are both being brodcast in HD. The Warriors and A's games are not in HD at all for CSN as both are using the overflow channels even on the Xfinity/Comcast system. Some people have reported rumors that maybe around the end of April we may see both channels go live full time HD. CSN and D* did come to an agreement for both channels so they are no longer out of contract.....hopefully that's a good sign we see the channels soon. Although Sixto didn't show either of the channels in "testing," as far as I know the SF Bay Area/Sacramento area are the last major market(s) that isn't having their RSN's broadcast full time in HD on D*.

#14 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,813 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:34 PM

It is exactly as Rat Patrol said until D* picks up the full time HD channel we will not get all the HD Games. Some games are sent via Satellite and some via Fiber. Tonight has been crazy for CSN...696 Giants 697 Warriors 698 Kings 699 Sharks and they had to use another overflow channel 695 for A's. The Kings and Sharks games are both being brodcast in HD. The Warriors and A's games are not in HD at all for CSN as both are using the overflow channels even on the Xfinity/Comcast system. Some people have reported rumors that maybe around the end of April we may see both channels go live full time HD. CSN and D* did come to an agreement for both channels so they are no longer out of contract.....hopefully that's a good sign we see the channels soon. Although Sixto didn't show either of the channels in "testing," as far as I know the SF Bay Area/Sacramento area are the last major market(s) that isn't having their RSN's broadcast full time in HD on D*.

Yes very crazy. And we have baseball now, along with basketball and hockey playoffs coming up.

I wonder though even with the two full time HD channels, will they still be able to show all of their games in HD in the future?

#15 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 10:48 PM

I wonder though even with the two full time HD channels, will they still be able to show all of their games in HD in the future?

I would think most would be in HD, the only time they're not in HD is if CSN isn't putting them in HD on Xfinity channel 410. Currently they don't have an extra overflow HD channel on their system. The Sharks games are shown in HD becuase Kings games are not broadcast in the SF Bay Area and Moterey areas. Nights like tonight where every team is playing they don't have the room/bandwith I am sure.

#16 OFFLINE   Shoub

Shoub

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:50 AM

What I can tell you is that AT&T U Verse carried both of these games in HD in the S.F. Bay Area. DTV Customer Service told me that unlike like AT&T, they were not offered the HD feeds to either of these games. If this is true then it is not DTV's fault but possibley Comcast shutting out a competitor form the HD feed.

FYI, the Giants hold a 30% stake in Comcast Sports Net Bay Area and AT&T is a major sponsor of the team.

#17 OFFLINE   BK89

BK89

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:15 PM

Quote - As much as we would like to provide the game on CSN Bay Area in HD, not all games are provided to DIRECTV in HD.

Well I thought that CSN made an announcement that all games would be availalbe in HD (after 1/1/10) - including away games. So who is lying CSN or DirecTV? Since the Giants website shows CSN-HD - it seems to me that DirecTV had the game avaialble but chose not to show it in HD because of the lack of bandwith.

Unless the statment from CSN about all games avaialble in HD was not actually true - but why would they come out and make that statement at the beginning of the year if they were not going to have the capability to follow through? I find this hard to believe.

#18 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,704 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:54 PM

Quote - As much as we would like to provide the game on CSN Bay Area in HD, not all games are provided to DIRECTV in HD.

Well I thought that CSN made an announcement that all games would be availalbe in HD (after 1/1/10) - including away games. So who is lying CSN or DirecTV? Since the Giants website shows CSN-HD - it seems to me that DirecTV had the game avaialble but chose not to show it in HD because of the lack of bandwith.

Unless the statment from CSN about all games avaialble in HD was not actually true - but why would they come out and make that statement at the beginning of the year if they were not going to have the capability to follow through? I find this hard to believe.

Nobody is lying if I am reading this right. They are just using weasel words. All games "are available" in HD means they are doing them in HD and are probably making them available to someone in HD (like their own systems). Just like you get a notice "Available in HD" on a CW program yet some affiliates are subchannels and are SD only. The banner still says "available in HD."

Interesting choice of words in the quote you posted (if that is an exact quote and not a paraphrase) in that they said "not all games are provided to DIRECTV in HD." That implies that they are not offering them to DirecTV, not that DirecTV is not taking them. But that could be fast and loose wording.

#19 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:06 PM

The CSN Bay Area HD feed is available on MLB.TV. I think that DirecTV is simply not paying for all of the HD feeds. Whether it's fiber or satellite or whatever, the infrastructure was in place for opening day. If it can be done on MLB.TV, it should be done on DirecTV.

Another Bay Area issue last night was the Kings game. It was shown in the NBA League Pass channel which was only displaying the DirecTV logo. The NBA channel showed the game in the guide, but all they were showing were the three yayhoos at the desk clamoring over the Jazz game. During the 20 minutes I was on the channel, I saw them show a pic/in/pic of the Kings game for about 10 seconds, then they went back to the Jazz game.

I didn't bother calling because I knew it would be pointless.

#20 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 689 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:56 PM

It's seems obvious that Comcast is holding back some HD telecasts from D* except that Comcast claims its D* that isn't carrying the games in HD.
Comcast says that every Giants game is in HD and that they are providing it to the carriers, and its the carriers that are deciding whether to carry the HD telecast. I don't know who to believe. It's just like the Versus mess, each side pointing the finger at the other and its us who suffer.

Edited by sdk009, 07 April 2010 - 02:07 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...