Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Masters Debated

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:39 AM

We know the Masters is on crappy blur-o-vision ESPN fake HD tomorrow in 720p. But, we also know it's also over in that D* cluster at 700+. We can assume they're taking the ESPN camera feeds in true 1080i HD but are they also forced to dumb it down to 720 or does D* have their own little network joint happening to keep the vid in HD? I seem to remember from last year the 700+ D* channels were in actual true HD when ESPN of course wasn't.

Also, didn't there used to be all day coverage of the Masters on some channel or another? I mean, this is the MASTERS we're talking about, not the Alpo Open! We won't even see Tiger on the course starting at 4:30 ET! Are they kidding? No Tiger? What's the point?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:57 AM

720p and 1080i are almost identical as far as resolution. Most sports channels choose 720p since it is better at handling fast motion. Many people assume that 1080i is better than 720p just because it is a higher number, but that is not always the case. Of course, 1080p is a big leap over 720p/1080i.

ESPN puts it like this: 'Progressive scan technology produces better images for the fast moving orientation of sports television. Simply put, with 104 mph fastballs in baseball and 120 mph shots on goal in hockey, the line-by-line basis of progressive scan technology better captures the inherent fast action of sports. For ESPN, progressive scan technology makes perfect sense.'

:)

#3 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:57 AM

ESPN along with ABC and others concluded after many studies that 720P was better at rendering HD than 1080I so they use it in all of their Events but particularly their Sports Productions. They concluded it handled Fast Motion & Action better than 1080I. This has been debated for years now, where have you been???

720P is not being in a state of Dumbed Down any more than 1080I is Dumbed Down. Of course True HD would be 1080P but you won't see that yet but you can see 3-D by ESPN but not on Directv yet.

Channel 701 thru 705 carries the Directv Special Productions such as Amen Corner, Holes 15 & 16 and of course 703 which carries the actual Masters in whole as it is happening and not just some holes which is what 704 and 705 show.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:02 AM

We know the Masters is on crappy blur-o-vision ESPN fake HD tomorrow in 720p.

I dont even know where to begin when someone posts a ridiculous statement like this...HD can be 720p, 1080i, or 1080p, it has always been that way and may be that way for a long time....

#5 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:12 AM

We know the Masters is on crappy blur-o-vision ESPN fake HD tomorrow in 720p.

I dont even know where to begin when someone posts a ridiculous statement like this...HD can be 720p, 1080i, or 1080p, it has always been that way and may be that way for a long time....

I think by the Nature of his Post that he wants to be belligerent and start some crap. He is probably Bored and just wants to argue!!!
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:50 AM

What a mess of a topic. EPIC FAIL by the OP when it comes to understanding HD resolutions.
DTV = Digital Television

#7 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:31 AM

Maruuk has been making posts like this for years. Sigh and move on.

As for his point about all day coverage, no, there never has been. In fact, coverage of the first two days is a relatively recent event. We used to have to be satisfied with a half hour wrap up late night, after the late local news, on CBS.

As for Maruuk's statement that "this is the Masters we're talking about", the Masters Committee would respond with a big yawn. Remember a dozen years ago when there were protests about no women members at Augusta? The organizers of the protests tried (successfully) to put pressure on CBS and advertisers. The Masters Committee responded by pulling ALL commercials out of the broadcast voluntarily that year. The common wisdom back then was that they would be just as happy to kill TV coverage for a year altogether, except they were locked into the contract with CBS.

Maruuk, Augusta National does their own thing. They could care less about you, me and Tiger's tee time.

Edited by Carl Spock, 08 April 2010 - 08:26 AM.

hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,389 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:37 AM

An extension of the all-to-common (but equally inane) OAR argument.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,354 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:42 AM

"Masters Debated" :confused: ?

Could that be a veiled reference to what the OP does to occupy himself while not watching the crappy, blurry Masters?

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#10 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:46 AM

:lol:

Nick scores an ace.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#11 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:55 AM

An extension of the all-to-common (but equally inane) OAR argument.

There is nothing inane about the OAR argument. You've already shown that you lack a basic understanding of it however.
DTV = Digital Television

#12 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:39 AM

Kudos to Nick and Hoosier!
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#13 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:44 AM

OK, this one's gone downhill fast, hasn't it?

Feel free to start another thread about DIRECTV's Masters coverage in this forum, or about the Masters in general in the Sports forum, but this one's done.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...