Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anywhere to buy DirecTV equipment for self-install?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kevinwill1

kevinwill1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:24 PM

Hi everyone. Forgive me if this has already been covered... I searched for over an hour through the whole forum and didn't find exactly what I was looking for. Maybe I was using the wrong search terms, or looking in the wrong place?? Who knows...

Anyway, I was looking to find out if anyone was aware of reputable merchants (online or in the proximity of Greensboro, NC) that would sell me DirecTV equipment, send it to me directly, and let me do the install myself. I've attempted to order from DirecTV themselves a couple of times and had very bad experiences from the installers they sent out. I even went to so far as to speak to one of the Vice Presidents at DirecTV Corporate in charge of Consumer Relations (don't remember the name right off) to file a complaint. While the gentleman spent over an hour speaking with me, acknowledged the problem and was empathetic, he declined to do anything about it. I still want DirecTV, but I want to handle it myself.

Any ideas, suggestions, help, or direction would be greatly appreciated. :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:29 PM

www.solidsignal.com and www.monoprice.com will have everything you need.

However everything out of pocket will be very expensive compared to getting in done through DirecTV who will do the installation and provide free equipment. Techs get paid by the job not the hour so them going to your house and not completing the job costs them money. Maybe if you can give more background on the trouble that you had we can help out. A lot of the time people have higher expectations than what is covered in the free standard professional installation. Perhaps we can give you some tips on how to prep for your install so it will be how you want it but still be able to get the deal through DirecTV.

You could also call a local dealer as well however I don't know of any dealer that would allow a customer to do their own install at the risk of having them get charged if you did something wrong and needed a service tech to come fix it.

I would also ask that you tell us how many TV's you have and how many of those are HD.

Edited by Shades228, 08 April 2010 - 12:37 PM.
asked for equipment need clarificaiton

#3 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 779 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:30 PM

Costco as a local retailer, not always in stock

Best Buy

try http://www.weaknees.com online
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#4 OFFLINE   bakers12

bakers12

What? Me hurry?

• Registered
  • 1,670 posts
  • LocationChicago - W. Suburbs

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:31 PM

You can order from DirecTV's web site and choose the self-install option. I've also ordered from SolidSignal.com with good results.

House #1:
HR20-700 -> LG 42LH40 LCD (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21N -> Slingbox Solo (component)
and AverTV HD DVR C027 card on Lenovo desktop (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21 -> Samsung HL-R4266W (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

House #2:
HR34-700 ->
Insignia NS-55L260A13 Rev E (HDMI)
C31-700 -> Sansui SLED1980E (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

More details are available here.

#5 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:33 PM

You can order from DirecTV's web site and choose the self-install option. I've also ordered from SolidSignal.com with good results.

You cannot choose self installation as a new customer.

#6 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:34 PM

Oh and :welcome_s to DBSTalk

#7 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:34 PM

Best Buy

I don't think Costco or BestBuy sell dishes.

#8 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:36 PM

Best Buy

Best Buy does not carry satellite dish's and it's getting harder to find standard def receivers in best buys as well.

#9 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:46 PM

You may not be able to "choose" self-install as a new customer anymore but I bet you can do it and then call DirecTV to sign up and they're not going to turn you away. I'm not saying this has great benefits (it will definitely cost you more), but if it's what you want to do, there's nothing wrong with it.

I had a terrible original install with DirecTV, that I even paid for, when we first signed up a dozen years ago. We then had a dish replacement by DirecTV, maybe three years later when locals came available and this time it wasn't just bad, but a nightmare; damage to our roof we didn't know about caused leaks and major damage, and no one--the installer nor DirecTV--would take responsibility. It ended up costing us thousands. (We sent them the bill and DirecTV gave us a $250 service credit. It would have cost us as much to sue the "independent installer" as we had paid for repairs so we just let it go.) So, DirecTV is never coming never my house again. Ever. When we needed a five LNB dish for MPEG4 we bought it from Solid Signal and hired a local person we vetted, and trusted, to install it. DirecTV had no problem with that. But, instead of a free equipment swap, we were out of pocket a few hundred bucks.

Things may have changed greatly with DirecTV's install since I last used them, but I'm not optimistic enough to ever try them again and find out.

#10 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:52 PM

You may not be able to "choose" self-install as a new customer anymore but I bet you can do it and then call DirecTV to sign up and they're not going to turn you away. I'm not saying this has great benefits (it will definitely cost you more), but if it's what you want to do, there's nothing wrong with it.

I had a terrible original install with DirecTV, that I even paid for, when we first signed up a dozen years ago. We then had a dish replacement by DirecTV, maybe three years later when locals came available and this time it wasn't just bad, but a nightmare; damage to our roof we didn't know about caused leaks and major damage, and no one--the installer nor DirecTV--would take responsibility. It ended up costing us thousands. (We sent them the bill and DirecTV gave us a $250 service credit. It would have cost us as much to sue the "independent installer" as we had paid for repairs so we just let it go.) So, DirecTV is never coming never my house again. Ever. When we needed a five LNB dish for MPEG4 we bought it from Solid Signal and hired a local person we vetted, and trusted, to install it. DirecTV had no problem with that. But, instead of a free equipment swap, we were out of pocket a few hundred bucks.

Things may have changed greatly with DirecTV's install since I last used them, but I'm not optimistic enough to ever try them again and find out.

You cannot do a self install as a new customer through DirecTV. They will not ship the equipment to you. Sorry to hear about your experiences but they will not do this. They would rather turn a customer away then have to support and clean up people's botched self installs. Especially with most installs now days having HD and being SWM. Connecting things in the wrong order will fry receivers connected. That means more cost to replace equipment. It's not worth it to them.

#11 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 685 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:02 PM

You can get DirecTV dishes and receivers through Ebay, install them yourself and then call to activate them.

#12 OFFLINE   susanandmark

susanandmark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:23 PM

You cannot do a self install as a new customer through DirecTV. They will not ship the equipment to you. Sorry to hear about your experiences but they will not do this. They would rather turn a customer away then have to support and clean up people's botched self installs. Especially with most installs now days having HD and being SWM. Connecting things in the wrong order will fry receivers connected. That means more cost to replace equipment. It's not worth it to them.

I never said they would send you the equipment ... I said you'd have to buy it yourself and then either install yourself (no longer so simple, though my husband could do it back in the day before more complicated dishes appeared) or hire someone to do it, all on your own dime. Then you can just call and activate.

#13 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 01:28 PM

I never said they would send you the equipment ... I said you'd have to buy it yourself and then either install yourself (no longer so simple, though my husband could do it back in the day before more complicated dishes appeared) or hire someone to do it, all on your own dime. Then you can just call and activate.

Then I misunderstood your post sorry you are correct if you paid for everything out of pocket they would activate you.

#14 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:00 PM

Luckily when I decided to subscribe to DirecTV in December 2000 you had a myriad of choices depending on your technical expertise and there were no hassles like "leasing" or "commitments".

You could stroll into your favorite retailer and buy everything you needed (which is what I did), take it all home, and install it yourself. I recall for those not wanting to do this a "professional installation" was available for $150 but after reading a few posts in this thread and experiencing a few non-optional "professional visits" in the past few years I'm glad I did the original install myself!

I actually asked a Best Buy employee why they didn't sell dishes and other DirecTV hardware anymore. He told me that in order to offer some of the discounts and "new customer" DirecTV specials, Best Buy had to agree to stop selling dishes, LNB's, and other DirecTV hardware that wasn't leased.

I wonder what DirecTV would do if you just bought an entire system from someone who switched to cable or DISH NETWORK, installed it yourself, and then called in to get it activated. I'm sure you'd have to pay the $20 for new access cards, but what about a commitment or a new customer special?

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#15 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:11 PM

The general rule is they will not activate an account with used equipment. As with anything I'm sure you'll have someone who will pop in saying they did it for them.

#16 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:11 PM

Luckily when I decided to subscribe to DirecTV in December 2000 you had a myriad of choices depending on your technical expertise and there were no hassles like "leasing" or "commitments".

You could stroll into your favorite retailer and buy everything you needed (which is what I did), take it all home, and install it yourself. I recall for those not wanting to do this a "professional installation" was available for $150 but.....

Still the same situation in 2003 when I signed up, but it did not last much longer, less than a year I think. I went with the optional installation through a Circuit City deal where I bought my dish, and 2 boxes. I kind of miss that particular aspect of the "old" DirecTV.

Edited by tkrandall, 09 April 2010 - 09:19 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:56 AM

Still the same situation in 2003 when I signed up, but it did not last much longer, less thatn a year I think. I went with the optional installation through a Circuit City deal where I bought my dish, and 2 boxes. I kind of miss that particular aspect of the "old" DirecTV.

Me too. At least you can still buy DirecTV hardware on the web and install it yourself in the event a multiswitch or LNB fails (unlike DISH network). But they certainly don't seem to want people doing anything to add new equipment or features without getting stuck with a new commitment.

Case and point: As you can see from my signature line, I have an R22. I was considering buying a Slimline dish and upgrading to HD myself without having to get a used clunker "genuine" HD DVR that came with a commitment extension but they figured that one out and now you can't have HD Access added to your account UNLESS you have a "genuine" HD receiver/DVR.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#18 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:27 AM

He won't be able to go off Ebay, because they won't activate a new account with used equipment. Has the Brand New (Owned) or leased.
Also, keep in mind that even if you do "purchase" the equipment from somebody other than Directv, you still won't own it. It's still a lease. The only way I'm aware of it actually outright purchase a new receiver is through Directv themselves (Or an HR21 Pro).

#19 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:39 AM

I have heard that even with all new equipment they wont activate a new account unless a tech comes out to the house to verify your installation. Whether it is just inspected or he redoes most of it I dont know, and if this is even true I dont know but it is someting to check out
My Setup

#20 OFFLINE   mluntz

mluntz

Icon

• Registered
  • 641 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 10:53 AM

I have never had a D* tech to my house, period. I did my 1st self install in 1995. I buy my dishes off of ebay, and my recievers from Best Buy. I would definitely get a SWIM dish at this point, so you will be ready for things like MRV, etc.

If you can, I would do a pole mount if possible. This will give you easier accessibility to the dish in case of a problem. Also, a meter will be very helpful to align you dish. I use a Accutrac 22.

Good luck!
DirecTV Customer since 1995
Directv/ HD-DVR HR20-700
Directv/ HD-DVR HR24-500 (2)
H24-700
Slimline 5 Dish
Premiere package holder
NFL Sunday Ticket Subscriber

Protected By... spam firewall...And...