Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PBS HD?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   grafixfreak

grafixfreak

AllStar

• Registered
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:59 PM

I remember reading here a while ago about the addition of PBS HD. Whatever happened? Was it just a rumor? Just thought Id ask.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,599 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:04 PM

Most markets have it. Check here for upcoming local HD launches

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#3 OFFLINE   REDSKINSFAN47

REDSKINSFAN47

Legend

• Registered
  • 202 posts
  • LocationWoodbine,MD

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:07 PM

alot of us got our local pbs stations,i got 22 mpt.don't know if national 1 is in hd or not.
hr20,hdmi to living room,componant mirred to office,h20kit hdmi,bedroom mine r15,bedroom daughters h20,other d10,slimline dish mounted on back of house,18 in.round (spare),on 3ft pipe in ground watered by dog daily.ota on roof.

#4 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:11 PM

I remember reading here a while ago about the addition of PBS HD. Whatever happened? Was it just a rumor? Just thought Id ask.

Thanks

Are you in the Boston TV market? There's apparently some sort of issue between DirecTV and WGBH, because Boston is the only top 20 market (where a local PBS HD is available - in Denver, it allegedly isn't) where DirecTV doesn't carry at least one PBS HD. The New Hampshire PBS station has a test HD channel in the guide data, but it has been there for several months and they obviously still haven't made it available.

#5 OFFLINE   dennisa

dennisa

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:46 AM

D* keeps saying "wait" when I ask about PBS HD in this area. Does anyone know what the problem is, or when it will happen? We watch PBS more than anything and it is very frustrating not to have it in HD, especially as it is available by our local cable company.

#6 OFFLINE   Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,284 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:03 AM

I keep hearing PBS locals choose whether their D* carriage is their HD or SD vehicle.

Our local used to output great HD - but, they have about 5 sub-channels, now, including 2 in Spanish and have [to my old eyes] reduced the quality of their HD feed, as well.

Anyway, we still only get the SD feed via D* and I have been told by local folks associated with the channel it's their choice - not D*.

#7 OFFLINE   wallybarthman

wallybarthman

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:05 AM

I went to AM21+Antenna route - PBS HD + all my sub-channels. It would be nice if it was part of D* though.

Westinghouse 37'' LCD 1080p Monitor / PS3 / HR24-500 w/AM21 OTA Tuner / Mac Mini
Vizio 42'' LCD 720p TV / Panasonic Blu-ray Player / Mac Mini / HR22 w/ AM21 OTA Tuner and HR22

#8 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:26 AM

Here in Richmond, VA we have the PBS primary channel in sd and then a subcarrier in sd plus their alternate main channel also in sd. When I called D*, they told me it was the local channels decision to carry the sub instead of the HD. When I called the local PBS station, they said they had told D* to carry the hd, but D* decided to carry the sub instead. Go figure where all this finger pointing will lead too, the viewer getting the bad end.

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#9 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:45 AM

No PBS HD in Colorado.

#10 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,708 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:34 PM

Most markets have it. Check here for upcoming local HD launches

Most markets? Not here in the Harrisburg/Lancaster, PA DMA. We're number 39. We've had some HD locals (ABC, Fox, CBS, and NBC) for 3 years but still no CW or PBS. Stinks!
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#11 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:39 PM

We have 2 PBS stations in HD through Direct in my market

#12 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:42 PM

DirecTV reneged on a deal to provide a PBS HD channel in all new local rollouts. And what happened to the two new SD channels DirecTV was supposed to provide as part of the PBS deal?

#13 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:43 PM

Just a FYI, if anyone wants PBS HD East and PBS HD West, Oklahoma PBS HD, and Louisiana PBS HD, and Montana PBS SD, they are available subscription free, with the purchase of a 90cm dish, and a HD receiver (total cost about $400 for standalone receiver, or $200 with a PCI computer receiver). They are all located on satellite AMC21, along with several part time PBS feeds.

Just in case you really love PBS like I do.

#14 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,061 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:44 PM

DirecTV reneged on a deal to provide a PBS HD channel in all new local rollouts. And what happened to the two new SD channels DirecTV was supposed to provide as part of the PBS deal?

Do you have a link to a new/press release for that? All I remember seeing is the original release just saying that D* and PBS came to an agreement but not that part.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#15 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 04:58 PM

Most markets? Not here in the Harrisburg/Lancaster, PA DMA. We're number 39. We've had some HD locals (ABC, Fox, CBS, and NBC) for 3 years but still no CW or PBS. Stinks!

Technically, yes. DirecTV offers PBS HD in 109 markets, which is more than half (and 97 more markets than Dish Network does).

#16 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:01 PM

Do you have a link to a new/press release for that? All I remember seeing is the original release just saying that D* and PBS came to an agreement but not that part.

Last paragraph.

http://www.twice.com...HD_Channels.php

#17 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:04 PM

I wish a couple of markets would have done without PBS HD so Fargo could have gotten NBC, CBS, ABC, and Fox in HD :P

#18 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,061 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:28 PM

Last paragraph.

http://www.twice.com...HD_Channels.php

OK, that says:

"“This is a forward-looking, innovative agreement for the digital age. It means the great HD programming from PBS and local public television stations will be available to DirecTV customers in every market where DirecTV carries any local HD,” stated APTS president and CEO John Lawson. “We will also work together to make available a vast library of on demand content from local public television stations across the country.”

I don't see where it says it will carry PBS HD in all new local rollouts.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#19 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:37 PM

We've had HD locals in Birmingham, Alabama for about ten years now and still no PBS HD . . . which is especially a shame since the PBS SD feed really stinks here. Easily the worst quality SD picture we get from directv. And, in my case, alas, too many trees to get PBS HD reliably with an antenna.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#20 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 06:27 PM

OK, that says:

"“This is a forward-looking, innovative agreement for the digital age. It means the great HD programming from PBS and local public television stations will be available to DirecTV customers in every market where DirecTV carries any local HD,” stated APTS president and CEO John Lawson. “We will also work together to make available a vast library of on demand content from local public television stations across the country.”

I don't see where it says it will carry PBS HD in all new local rollouts.

"It means the great HD programming from PBS and local public television stations will be available to DirecTV customers in every market where DirecTV carries any local HD."

It seems clear that DirecTV is supposed to give everyone an PBS HD feed, at least everyone who can get HD locals, because isn't the part about getting great HD programming mean that you get it in HD.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...