Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PBS HD?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:31 AM

WCVE in the Ricmond, VA DMA does have an HD feed but DirecTV does not carry it yet, they do however have the SD subchannel.

The same thing is the case in Boise ID and some other locales. I'm just saying that in CO, KRMA and the rest of the Rocky Mtn PBS channels don't even offer an HD feed so it isn't something DirecTV can carry.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   marquitos2

marquitos2

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:27 PM

I live in Tampa Bay and get PBS local in HD, but not sub-channels yet.
Marquitos

#43 OFFLINE   CoachGibbs

CoachGibbs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 08:32 AM

Still no WGBH HD out of Boston.

I've given up on it.

#44 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 03:28 PM

I hope so to

When WITF tells me they have a date from D* for WITF-HD carriage, I will let you know.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#45 OFFLINE   dennisa

dennisa

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:49 AM

With the announcement of new HD locals in June, is there any indication of PBS HD availability in the Boston area? We're still waiting!

#46 OFFLINE   kenmoo

kenmoo

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 12:07 PM

To DirecTV: For those subscribers that have no access to a local PBS feed in HD and have the other HD locals, please work out a deal with National PBS for a temporary National feed. Maybe a Waiver type situation. Either that or maybe a deal with the nearest PBS station broadcasting in HD to transmit that signal to the subscribers without. Think of the marketing coup that would be for you in the HD Channel wars. Win, Win, Win for subscribers, PBS and DirecTV.

#47 OFFLINE   QuickDrop

QuickDrop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:09 AM

Same here in Pittsburgh, maybe they hate PA:lol:

According to this:

http://www.post-gaze...1038622-238.stm

Pittsburgh is expect to get PBS HD in either the 3rd or 4th quarter. Of course, this was before D12's slight testing delay and D10 going to a chiropractor for a readjustment, not to mention D* tendency not to be on time with this sort of thing. But at least it seems certain there is a deal in place to carry it.

If Satelliteracer is reading this thread, can you give a timeline for those us who have the "major" four locals in HD but don't have PBS, CW, or whatever that other one is called? I understand why D* wouldn't want to publicize to potential subscribers that they don't carry all locals in HD, but we're loyal customers--throw us a bone.

#48 OFFLINE   Terry K

Terry K

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:09 AM

In KC, the ONLY locals not in HD are the My (KSMO/62) and ION (KPXE/50) stations. (KPXE IS the actual KPXE feed, not the ION national remapped). Everything else, including independent KMCI are in HD!

#49 OFFLINE   Piratefan98

Piratefan98

Icon

• Registered
  • 685 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 08:48 AM

Here in South Central PA (Harrisburg DMA), we have the big 4 locals in HD, but not PBS or CW. PBS (WITF) would be a really nice addition. Don't really care about CW one way or another.

Jeff

#50 OFFLINE   aldiesel

aldiesel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:34 AM

Unless something has changed, the reason you don't get PBS HD on DirecTV in Colorado is because Rocky Mountain PBS doesn't even produce an HD feed. At least they don't over-the-air. That's probably why subchannels are offered instead.

KRMA does produce an HD feed. It is OTA and Comcast provides it.

#51 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:50 AM

KRMA does produce an HD feed. It is OTA and Comcast provides it.

If that's the case, the OTA HD feed must have launched within the past two days. My understanding is that it is broadcast in 16x9 SD.

Comcast could receive a separate HD feed directly from the station, or they could be presenting the widescreen SD format. At some point in the past, they offered a national PBS HD feed in Denver.

#52 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:26 PM

"Most markets"? I don't think so. Certainly not here in the Salinas-Monterey DMA.

#53 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:41 PM

Not in market #39 (Harrisburg/Lancaster, PA) either.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...