Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hughes DirecTivo Reboots/Locks up on Local Stations

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Haze

Haze

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:39 PM

I have a Hughes DirecTivo and have used it with my DTV service since 2003. It has worked great over the years and only once have I had to buy a new hard drive for it and I used Instant Cake to get it up and running. I am not using a high def television and I do not subscribe to any high def packages or channels. I've lurked these forums for years and chose to stick with my DirecTivo after reading about the problems many people had when switching to other DVR's.

I live in Indianapolis, have the basic package with DTV plus local stations (not through OTA antenna). Last year I started to encounter a problem where my Tivo would either lock up with a blank screen or reboot all by itself. I figured it was just a random issue, but I believe it is related to the local stations and I don't know why.

There are months in the year where my wife and I do not watch any programs on local stations. Both tuners end up staying on cable stations like ESPN, etc. Right now, we watch a number of major network shows like American Idol, Survivor, etc so the tuners end up on those stations and stay there until I change them.

This year I started making sure that I change the tuners back to non-local stations after they are done recording local shows. This works great and keeps the Tivo from locking up, but it is not always a practical solution and sometimes, like tonight, it locked up during Survivor. There are nights were it will record fine, the problem appears to be random but only when the tuners are on local stations (In Indy that's WRTV 6, WISH 8, WTHR 13, WXIN 59)

A search on Google turned up a forum where a group of North Carolina residents were encountering a similar problem and through discussion also realized it had something to do with their local stations, but I did not come across a solution to the problem.

I'm hoping someone here may have come across this problem or have a solution. If there is any other relevant information I need to post, please let me know. Maybe it's just time to switch to another DVR, but I sure have enjoyed and would like to continue enjoying my Tivo.

Thanks.
-Haze

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,499 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 09 April 2010 - 12:04 AM

A while back someone in Fresno, CA reported the same issue with one of their local stations. Not sure if they ever found a solution.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   Haze

Haze

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:25 PM

Happened again last night. One tuner was recording How I Met Your Mother and the other was recording Chuck. 5 minutes into the recordings the Tivo rebooted itself. I was around at the time and the reboot time was normal so I'm confident this is not a hard drive issue. At least Chuck was a rerun. :P

#4 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:27 PM

What a weird issue! I wonder what causes local stations to irritate your old DVR since there are millions of customers still using older receivers including units that receive the old program guide with no problems (other than a few missing channels).

Is there one particular local channel that causes the problems?

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#5 OFFLINE   Haze

Haze

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:39 AM

It can be any of the 4 local stations. The Tivo will either reboot itself, lock up as a black screen, or lockup with the picture frozen (as if paused). It is a random problem, sometimes you can watch a local station for hours and be fine.

If I am home and switch BOTH tuners to channels like ESPN and TBS the Tivo will keep running fine. If I leave it on a local overnight it is almost always locked up the next morning.

spam firewall