Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Rv Satillite Dish or Dome

swm

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lartomar2002

lartomar2002

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:18 AM

which forum do i ask questions about directc reception equipment for my rv? for example i have several question about 'which is better' type applications and about equipment in general. if not in any of these forums perhaps someone could suggest another site.
thanks, larry:)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,579 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:28 AM

Probably the Installation/MDU forum.

One very important parameter that must be defined going in is whether you plan on HD or not. You can't do DIRECTV HD with a dome antenna. You can use an HD receiver but it will only bring you SD satellite programming.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,567 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 09 April 2010 - 01:03 PM

KVH does now have a Ka/Ku Dome Antenna, but it's intended for boats. And it's expensive.
http://www.kvh.com/p...duct.asp?id=182
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#4 OFFLINE   lartomar2002

lartomar2002

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:04 PM

theu also have for rv's
http://www.kvh.com/LandMobile/

#5 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,567 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:31 PM

theu also have for rv's
http://www.kvh.com/LandMobile/

True. But none of those dishes support the MPEG4 (new) HD channels beamed from the 99/103ºW satellites.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,579 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 09 April 2010 - 05:40 PM

KVH does now have a Ka/Ku Dome Antenna, but it's intended for boats. And it's expensive.
http://www.kvh.com/p...duct.asp?id=182

The 27" height is likely a deal breaker for the RV crowd as well.

Interesting that it is a 3 slot dish.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 890 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:39 PM

THE problem with a dome type, mounted on the roof of the vehicle (like a diesel pusher), or any towed RV, is that unless you are going to run the thing exclusively in the desert, or the wide open plains, you're going to 99 times out of a hundred be blocked by these tall, strange green things, called 'trees'.

You'll need to get the dish on a tripod, or bolted to a movable flat plywood board, which is positionable several (like 50-100+) feet on a main path/road with, of course, clear sighting to the satellite(s).

Get a nice long hunk of burial-type coaxial (i.e., it's GOING to get RUN OVER eventually), with a 'spare' hunk for when someone eventually cuts it (AND a repair kit if you're handy with splicing in a barrel).

Between me and my brother-in-law, we've be doing DirecTV (both SD AND HD) for well over 8+ years now. At any park, you'll find quite a number of folks doing just what I explained, Slimline(s) (or older single LNB/101 SD only types) on tripods. Most folks take one look at their compass, drop the dish in, and barely look at a remote signal meter more than a couple seconds anymore.

When my brother-in-law first started, he swore at me big time because he couldn't get a signal, I'd walk up, take one look at the compass, tweak the dish, and bingo. Now, he takes the same 2-3 minutes tops.

Most these folks I could have used 40 years ago in the signal corps.

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,579 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 April 2010 - 01:07 AM

Someone hasn't discovered the wide open skies of the desert Southwest where the Western Snowbird winters.

#9 OFFLINE   1948GG

1948GG

Icon

• Registered
  • 890 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:07 AM

Someone hasn't discovered the wide open skies of the desert Southwest where the Western Snowbird winters.

Have an owned pad in a golf/rv community in Surprise, AZ for years. But it usually takes me 3-4 days of crawling down the Oregon/California Coast to get there. The journey is more than half the fun. When the weather is nice on the Oregon coast, I 'linger' a bit or more. Especially around the Dunes north of Coos Bay.

#10 OFFLINE   lartomar2002

lartomar2002

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 12:01 PM

Great info thanks alot:)

#11 OFFLINE   alohanole

alohanole

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:19 AM

you might want to try the "technology" forum of rv.net. It's a fantastic resource that I use often.

Living in the South, the tree problem is for real. I have a travel trailer and use a tripod exclusively. I can't tell you how many times I have seen class "A" diesel pushers with dome dishes that are also using tripods because their LOS is obscured by trees. I highly recommend a sturdy tripod, such as one used by surveyors. I started off with a cheap one and it was ok for a phase III dish, but when I went to a SL-3, you have to have a very sturdy platform.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: swm

spam firewall