Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

r16-300 recording problems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lartomar2002

lartomar2002

Legend

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:43 PM

this is the second r16-300 that i have received from dtv in the past 10 days. both have the same recording problem. first it was told to me by a csr that the default setting for recording a series was "first run" both of the units i received the default setting is "both". so knowing this when setting to record a series i know to go in an click the "first run". this is all a big pain since i should only have to push the record button twice to record a series. and, if that is not bad enough when i checked to see if the series were set to record i found that not only were the series set to record but all episodes of the series were to be recorded. at this rate i will spend all day deleteing unnecesary recordings or i will fill up my hd in no time. i have come to you guys to see if you have any suggestions before i have to go throught the whole process again of call dtv going through all of the technical stuff again and then having them send me another unit. thanks, larry

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 08:57 PM

this is the second r16-300 that i have received from dtv in the past 10 days. both have the same recording problem. first it was told to me by a csr that the default setting for recording a series was "first run" both of the units i received the default setting is "both". so knowing this when setting to record a series i know to go in an click the "first run". this is all a big pain since i should only have to push the record button twice to record a series. and, if that is not bad enough when i checked to see if the series were set to record i found that not only were the series set to record but all episodes of the series were to be recorded. at this rate i will spend all day deleteing unnecesary recordings or i will fill up my hd in no time. i have come to you guys to see if you have any suggestions before i have to go throught the whole process again of call dtv going through all of the technical stuff again and then having them send me another unit. thanks, larry

They can send you 1000 units, not going to change anything. The default behavior is to record all episodes.

If all you wish to do is record "First Run Only" on all new series links, just go in and change your record defaults.

Menu->Manage Recordings->Record Defaults

If you wish to change the settings on a series by series basis
Menu->Manage Recordings->Series Manager->(select your series)->Series Options
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#3 OFFLINE   lartomar2002

lartomar2002

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:13 PM

i just tried what you suggested and it is still set to record all eposodes. spartcus blood and sand, i want to record each individual episode not the repeat of each episode

#4 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:18 PM

i just tried what you suggested and it is still set to record all eposodes. spartcus blood and sand, i want to record each individual episode not the repeat of each episode

If the guide data is incomplete it will do that. On occasion, I've seen shows where the first run episode has a full description, while the encore showings just have a generic one.

If that is the cause, then the only real way would be to periodicly go through your To Do list and cancel the unwanted episodes.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#5 OFFLINE   lartomar2002

lartomar2002

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 09:39 PM

robert you may have solved the problem, it has not been 24 hours yet so i will wait for that period and see what happens. thanks, larry

#6 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:18 PM

Changing the default settings will only change it for all recordings you set up from that point on, it will not change series links you already have set up. You either have to go into those series links settings and change them, or delete the old series link and create a new one.

#7 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 12:34 PM

I'm moving this to the SD Receiver forum.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#8 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:38 PM

One thing you need to keep in mind is that irregardless what you have your series link (prioritizer) set to (either first run only or all episodes) the determination is made by a flag set in the guide data transmitted to DirecTV by Tribune Media Services. The DVR itself has no way of knowing if the show is first-run or not, and it does NOT use the "original air date" (sent as part of the guide data but not displayed on SD receivers/DVR's).

How do I know it doesn't use the original air date? Simple.

Let's say you have a show scheduled to record all first-run episodes like "In Plain Sight" for example. First-run new episodes are usually run in prime time with several repeats during the next week. Now, suppose you have two other HIGHER PRIORITY shows scheduled to record when a new episode of this show airs. The DVR will automatically try to record the next showing of this first-run episode EVEN THOUGH IT MAY BE ON A LATER DATE THAN THE EPISODE'S PREMIERE SHOWING. You will usually see the original air date shown in your TO DO list with an orange icon with an "X" through it and a notation "this show will not record" because other higher-priority recordings are scheduled for this time period.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#9 OFFLINE   lartomar2002

lartomar2002

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:15 PM

thanks i ordered a hr22-100 hope its better

#10 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:23 PM

thanks i ordered a hr22-100 hope its better

Don't get your hopes up. The HR22 uses the same guide data as all current DirecTV receivers/DVR's and the same determination is made as to first run/repeats.

Let us know how you like your new HD DVR...

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#11 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 April 2010 - 11:39 PM

One thing you need to keep in mind is that irregardless what you have your series link (prioritizer) set to (either first run only or all episodes) the determination is made by a flag set in the guide data transmitted to DirecTV by Tribune Media Services. The DVR itself has no way of knowing if the show is first-run or not, and it does NOT use the "original air date" (sent as part of the guide data but not displayed on SD receivers/DVR's).

How do I know it doesn't use the original air date? Simple.

Let's say you have a show scheduled to record all first-run episodes like "In Plain Sight" for example. First-run new episodes are usually run in prime time with several repeats during the next week. Now, suppose you have two other HIGHER PRIORITY shows scheduled to record when a new episode of this show airs. The DVR will automatically try to record the next showing of this first-run episode EVEN THOUGH IT MAY BE ON A LATER DATE THAN THE EPISODE'S PREMIERE SHOWING. You will usually see the original air date shown in your TO DO list with an orange icon with an "X" through it and a notation "this show will not record" because other higher-priority recordings are scheduled for this time period.

Actually, that's not exactly a good explanation of how the OAD is not used. In that case, when it sees that it cannot record the episode due to a conflict, it then looks for that same episode number being aired during a time that does not have a conflict. That is just the logic of DVR at work.

A better example would be with the show Charlie Jade that used to air on SyFy. In order for it to record, you had to set it for First Run, but if you looked at the OAD, it was from at least a year earlier as that is when it aired on Canadian TV.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

Protected By... spam firewall...And...