Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HDMI to HDMI problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Boldpatch

Boldpatch

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:40 PM

In January I brought a Bush 22 Hdmi Tv and a Philips HDMI up scaling Dvd player.
Three weeks ago the Picture from the Dvd player stopped on the TV.
The info on the screen said it was connected at 1080p but just a black screen and no sound.
I brought a expensive HDMI lead to see if it was that but no joy.
A friend came round with his Dvd player the screen came on for about a minute and went off
with a no signal error.
I took the TV back to Argos and they sent it off for evaluation, three weeks later it was returned as no fault found.
When I got home I tried it but I get the same problem, I had got a DVI to HDMI cable and hooked up my PC and it works ok, full 1080p 1920 x 1080. and my driver states the PC and TV are HDCP compatible.
So my friend brought his Samsung HDMI TV around and tested my DVD player and works on HDMI on his TV.
Its puzzling me now is it possible the two bits of equipment have fallen out with each other? i have checked to make sure the DVD player is set to default.
Any help i would be greatful
Thanks for reading
Andrew

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,479 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:08 AM

Your symptoms indicate an HDCP handshake problem. between your player and your TV. This could be due to a poor signal getting to your TV from the player and could be caused by the player, cable or TV. You say bou bought an "expensive" HDMI cable to rule out the cable being the cause of the trouble, but not how long the cable is or whether it has ferrite beads at each end. Unfortunately, price does not guarantee high quality when it comes to HDMI cables and if your TV or player is marginal concerning the HDCP handshake, a long cable without ferrite beads can exacerbate the trouble.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#3 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,796 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:43 AM

The handshake call is correct but it may not be a cable issue at all. HDMI spec is open to implementation "deviations" such that some machines just have handshake problems. I just pulled an 05 vintage Toshiba DLP out of my main room after dealing with this problem for years.

I had to bring up the TV, bring up the receiver, switch to the HDMI in from receiver (with the receiver on the desired HDMI (with its device OFF (or a non HDMI input)) input), allow the receiver to handshake with the TV, then turn on the device (DVD player, PS3, etc) and let it handshake and I would be fine 100% of the time.

Any deviations from that regimen may have worked some of the time but invariably I would end up in the situation you describe. The fix was to disconnect POWER to the TV and reconnect. I ended up with an inline switch to the TV power from my power center as it was so frequent till I figured out the magic sequence.

Until I did the power disconnect the HDMI issue would continue regardless of any power off, disconnect/reconnect efforts.

This was HDMI1.1 on the set and it remained constant through 1.2 and 1.3 on the receiver/device side.

So did you switch to a new remote like a Harmony and this problem then surfaced? Swap out your receiver for new? In other words did you change something else in the stream and find this is the result?

You might check to see if there is a firmware upgrade for your set for just this issue as well.

Don "welcome to the user friendly world of HDTV" Bolton

In January I brought a Bush 22 Hdmi Tv and a Philips HDMI up scaling Dvd player.
Three weeks ago the Picture from the Dvd player stopped on the TV.
The info on the screen said it was connected at 1080p but just a black screen and no sound.
I brought a expensive HDMI lead to see if it was that but no joy.
A friend came round with his Dvd player the screen came on for about a minute and went off
with a no signal error.
I took the TV back to Argos and they sent it off for evaluation, three weeks later it was returned as no fault found.
When I got home I tried it but I get the same problem, I had got a DVI to HDMI cable and hooked up my PC and it works ok, full 1080p 1920 x 1080. and my driver states the PC and TV are HDCP compatible.
So my friend brought his Samsung HDMI TV around and tested my DVD player and works on HDMI on his TV.
Its puzzling me now is it possible the two bits of equipment have fallen out with each other? i have checked to make sure the DVD player is set to default.
Any help i would be greatful
Thanks for reading
Andrew

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...