Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Recording a Series

the brain

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   nvhusker

nvhusker

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:10 PM

I am a little confused on recording a series. I am interested in recording the new season to Deadliest Catch on channel 278. Here is the problem. There is no way to only record the new episodes. So, I schedule the recording for this Tuesday and I just look on my List and I see 6 episodes from previous seasons. I called Directv and they told me the only option I have is to either delete the old episodes as they get recorded and only keep the new ones or just manually record each new episode individually. This is definitely a feature that they need to fix because this is ridiculous. I don't want to have to do either but I guess I am out of luck. Completely crazy that they do not have an option for this. Any suggestions? :mad:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,438 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:19 PM

Some shows don't correctly flag each episode as new, so unfortunately you have to either manually record them or what I do is go through the to do list every two weeks and delete the repeats that might be scheduled to record.

Until all stations flag all shows correctly, there's nothing that can be done.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:40 PM

I am a little confused on recording a series. I am interested in recording the new season to Deadliest Catch on channel 278. Here is the problem. There is no way to only record the new episodes. So, I schedule the recording for this Tuesday and I just look on my List and I see 6 episodes from previous seasons. I called Directv and they told me the only option I have is to either delete the old episodes as they get recorded and only keep the new ones or just manually record each new episode individually. This is definitely a feature that they need to fix because this is ridiculous. I don't want to have to do either but I guess I am out of luck. Completely crazy that they do not have an option for this. Any suggestions? :mad:

Did you set your series link to record only first runs or did you leave it at both? You can change the setting from the series manager.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#4 OFFLINE   69hokie

69hokie

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:49 PM

Just as RobertE says, go to Menu-Manage Recordings-Record Defaults-set Episode Type to "First Run" and it will only record the first showing of an episode. The series will follow your Record Default setting. By the way...welcome to DBSTalk:welcome_s
Wayne
Go Virginia Tech....and "Hoo"ever is playing UVa!

My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:01 PM

Changing the default setting only affects new series links set up after the change is made to the defaults. You still need to go in and manually change your existing series links, or delete them and set up new ones.

#6 OFFLINE   Jaytee946

Jaytee946

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:16 PM

Yes please do as the others say, but sometimes that won’t work.. I wanted to record Clark Howard on FXHD, but his show comes on 3-times each for Saturday and Sunday (all the same episodes). So instead of deleting 5 shows, I set up a Manual Record of just one show.

1. Select Menu
2. Manage Recordings
3. Manual Record
Under Record, select Recurring
Channel: select the channel program is on
When: select the next day that’s it’s on
Start: select the time of day it’s on
Duration: self explanatory
Then arrow over to “Set Manual”
Then click OK
Your done…

#7 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:41 PM

I notice that sometimes it takes a while for the receiver to go through and remove the repeates from the to do list when the series is set up. When I set up a series recently, there were tons of repeats in the to do list, but by the time they came on they had been removed and not recorded. Spartanstew is right, though. There are many occasions where the guide data is incorrect and repeats record.

#8 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 01:29 AM

Just as RobertE says, go to Menu-Manage Recordings-Record Defaults-set Episode Type to "First Run" and it will only record the first showing of an episode. The series will follow your Record Default setting. By the way...welcome to DBSTalk:welcome_s

Just to be clear... the "First Run" option doesn't limit the recording to only the very first airing of the new episodes. It can catch and record a showing of any the new season episodes later that day or week if it didn't record the absolute first airing of any episode because of other higher priority recordings.

All of this depends on all of the multiple showings of the new season episodes to be marked as first run in the guide data, which seems to be what they do, at least in most cases.

#9 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:01 AM

Correct, which is why I wish there was an easy way to move series links to the bottom of the list (you can hit green to move them to the top but there isn't anything to move them to the bottom). I have series links for Sons Of Anarchy, and Rescue me that I like to keep at the bottom because FX tends to repeat them multiple times throughout the week. However when I add new series links I have to move them clear to the top, and then move other links back up to the top in order to get SOA and RM back to the bottom. I find that really annoying. I wish they would add an option like using the red button to move them to the bottom of the list. To delete the series link you could go into the description or use the -,- trick.

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:16 AM

Even at 40+ SL's, I can move things to the bottom of the list with about 4 buttons presses. While in series manager, move the cursor to the right where you can move the SL, then use the page down key to move a whole screen at a time.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...