Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Networking tips needed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   zer0cool

zer0cool

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:19 PM

So, I've got my shiny new 922 installed, and now I feel the itch to upgrade my home networking.
I've got Roadrunner Turbo (15.0 Mbps) broadband.
DLink Wireless-G Router
Netgear Homeplug 85Mbps adapters

The Internet Connection is in the home office. My PC is plugged directly into the router, along with a Netgear Homeplug adapter.
Our master Bedroom has another Netgear adapter, with connections for our 722K, and Panasonic blu-Ray player.
There's another Netgear adapter in our Theater room,with connections for the Xbox360 and PS3. The 722K was plugged in here at one point, but the 922 is using it's own Homeplug (Power cord plugged directly into the wall outlet).
The third Netgear adapter is in my Son's room for his PC, Xbox360, and Dish 622.

I'm wondering if replacing the Dlink wireless-G router with a new Wireless-N model will be benificial.
not sure if I need one that's backward compatible or not. (I haven't looked at routers in a while).
Beyond that, I don't know what else I could change.
apparently dishnetwork receivers aren't compatible with the 200 Mbps homelink adapters.
I see roadrummer has "wideband" and "Extreme" services available soon, but no idea on pricing.

I'd also appreciate any advice on affordable Wireless-N routers. I know Dish had some they recommended for use with the 922, but can't remember where I saw that.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   daimhin

daimhin

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:52 PM

The N routers will talk to G devices, but when they do they slow the entire network down to the G speed from what I understand. What I decided to do was to go with a dual radio router that actually runs 2 networks. One is dedicated to my N devices, the other for my G devices.

But the real question is, do you have anything that will use the N connection? The PS3 has a G connection, and the XBox360 has just recently released an adapter for N so if yours is older it will be a G connection as well.

When I did my upgrade I got the Linksys WRT610N. I have used Linksys routers for years and loved them... however this model was nothing but headaches. It kept rebooting itself whenever I would do large data transfers (ie when my laptop went to do a backup to the home server). I ended up changing to an Apple Airport Extreme back in January and things have been MUCH better.

Eric

#3 OFFLINE   kstevens

kstevens

Icon

• Registered
  • 533 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:31 PM

The new airport extreme's have dual band support, it, it broadcast both a G and N band simultaneously.

Glor

#4 OFFLINE   saberfly

saberfly

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:40 PM

The netgear WNDR3700 is the best fastest router ive ever used. I have 35MBPS down and 7MBPS up on my comcast internet. I get the full amout wirelessly and sometimes even faster wired. Its a gigabit router and easy to setup and use. I would 100% not get anything but this router.

#5 OFFLINE   frodob9

frodob9

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:53 PM

If I am reading your post correctly, you aren't using wireless connetions for anything. You are using Homeplug for everything except the PC that is direct connected to the router. Changing from a G router to a N router would only change the speed of the wireless connection, so it would have no benefit to your network.

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,553 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:31 AM

I'm not sure what the question is. Connected to my cable modem downstairs is an old Linksys BEFSR41 connected with a regular network cable on one of its LAN ports to LAN port on a Linksys WRT54G in my upstairs home theater. Downstairs I have two computers plugged into the BEFSR41 and upstairs I have my 722, 612, and Slingbox plugged into the WRT54G.

Within our home the Slingbox signal is great on the two computers and on our two wireless notebooks (usually located downstairs around the house or outside on one of the decks).

It isn't absolutely necessary, but it seems like having a 922 or a Slingbox plugged directly into a router is the cleanest way to go. I guess people just don't like more wires, but....

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#7 OFFLINE   zer0cool

zer0cool

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:08 AM

When available, I want to add the dish Wifi Monitor and/or Multi-room Extender.
We also have two iPhones that connect via wifi on occasion, but thet's beside the point.

#8 OFFLINE   Cardini

Cardini

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:38 AM

The netgear WNDR3700 is the best fastest router ive ever used. I have 35MBPS down and 7MBPS up on my comcast internet. I get the full amout wirelessly and sometimes even faster wired. Its a gigabit router and easy to setup and use. I would 100% not get anything but this router.

+1

Protected By... spam firewall...And...