Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM and R59

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hdhead

Hdhead

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:45 PM

Had a D* tech out today to align dish (got a call from D* saying I had low signal). I have R59 in the house and currently using it with 3 receivers without problem. Told the tech I want to upgrade to SWM16 when available for MRV. He said he would never install a SWM with R59 wiring present because it would fry (yes burn out) the wiring after a month or two. Is he correct??

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 05:52 PM

Had a D* tech out today to align dish (got a call from D* saying I had low signal). I have R59 in the house and currently using it with 3 receivers without problem. Told the tech I want to upgrade to SWM16 when available for MRV. He said he would never install a SWM with R59 wiring present because it would fry (yes burn out) the wiring after a month or two. Is he correct??

Sorta.

RG59 should be ok from the SWiM to a receiver. Ideally it should be replaced if at all possible, but if it's not, you gotta do what you gotta do. :grin:

Anyway, the bigger concern is putting the PI on RG59. Since 59 has a smaller center conductor it can cause issues with it's power carrying capacity. How well it works will depend on the quality of the cable.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#3 OFFLINE   Hdhead

Hdhead

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:02 PM

The R59 is only in the walls from the basement to the various room wall plates. All the wiring from the SWM to the basement including the PI is RG6. Think I should be OK? But now I have to find an installer who will do it.

#4 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,077 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:48 PM

RG59 will not "burn out", that's an installer "urban legend". In any case, with SWM the cables don't carry power, that's only for the non-SWM technology - apart from the cable from the PI to the dish. Additionally, the SWM frequencies are lower than those in a non-SWM system so the increased signal loss of RG59 at higher frequencies is not relevant. If a system works with non-SWM technology, it will work with SWM.
With an SWM system, apart from the cable from the PI to the dish, there's no good technical reason for replacing RG59. The only reason to replace the RG59 is because the DireCTV install manual says you have to use RG6.

#5 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:58 PM

He said he would never install a SWM with R59 wiring present because it would fry (yes burn out) the wiring after a month or two. Is he correct??

You decide. The power inserter uses 21-29 volts, and low current. I use RG59 and run 1000 watts of power to my 80 meter ham radio antenna, and it hasnt fried in over 10 years.

#6 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 09:44 PM

The R59 is only in the walls from the basement to the various room wall plates. All the wiring from the SWM to the basement including the PI is RG6. Think I should be OK? But now I have to find an installer who will do it.

Finding an independent contractor is harder these days because Directv is moving their installations to their own in house system. The Rg59 usage is a pretense to allow the in house system to deduct money from the installer; they won't pay him if they find insignificant stuff like unapproved cable etc. so he feels a need to BS you and move on.

Check your local advertising for someone who still has a contract. Some antenna installation companies or home theater folks may be able to direct you.

Good luck,

Joe

#7 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:05 AM

One of the reasons I went SWM was to allow a couple back bedrooms in my house to get satellite. They are at the end of some very long runs of embedded RG59. Worked great. However, I went with the SWM LNB, fed power to it from my attic, via RG6 to the dish.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

#8 OFFLINE   jbaron76

jbaron76

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:51 AM

I just had my service moved to my new home (built in the 80's) which is pre-wired with RG59. The only new cable he installed was for the PI which is on the line from the dish to the bedroom closest to the dish. Everything else is RG59. So far I have had no issues with MRV at all, and one of the DVR's is on connected to an RG59 run of over 100ft. All DVR's can access each other's content, and there are no pixelation issues whatsoever when watching a show from a remote DVR. It may be that the RG59 in my house is very good quality cable, but either way I am proof that RG59 can work for SWM and MRV.

#9 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:19 AM

The ability to use existing RG59 was one of the design goals of the SWM technology with DirecTV. The key is that RG6 with solid copper core is used between the PI and the dish, because of the DC voltage/power carrying capacity. Beyond that point, from the PI to the receivers, RG59 should work just fine.

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,724 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:47 AM

The ability to use existing RG59 was one of the design goals of the SWM technology with DirecTV. The key is that RG6 with solid copper core is used between the PI and the dish, because of the DC voltage/power carrying capacity. Beyond that point, from the PI to the receivers, RG59 should work just fine.

100' RG59 has 2 dB more loss than RG6 @ 1800 MHz.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   paragon

paragon

Godfather

• Registered
  • 354 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

I have a SWM16. Each port has a 2-way splitter on it (one splitter goes to a C31 and an HR24, the other goes to an HR34 and a DECA for internet). All three runs through the walls from splitters to the three receivers are RG59 and all of the other runs are RG6 (PI is on RG6 to the standalone PWR port). I have no issues whatsoever.

But on the issue of installers saying ridiculous things are going to burn out: when I had my HR34 installed, the installer told me I needed an open splitter port for each tuner on a receiver or the splitter would burn out (i.e., for the HR34 I needed one port hooked up to the HR34 and 4 ports left open). He insisted on installing an 8 way splitter and a 4 way splitter for my setup. I asked him to leave me two 2 way splitters and switched it right after he left. At least I got some spare bigger splitters for free if I ever need them.

spam firewall