Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrading the internal hard drive on an HR24

• Please log in to reply
510 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:30 AM

Yup, I've done that. But, I'd be just a little leery of the HDD on top falling off and causing something catastrophic to happen. But I'm a raging pessimist and always look at the worst case scenario.

Rich

Just tape it down temporarily.

What is this about being a Raging Pessimist??? Did you join the "Mike Greer Fanclub"???
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 December 2010 - 09:38 AM

What is this about being a Raging Pessimist??? Did you join the "Mike Greer Fanclub"???

Always been one. Well, not really "always". Working for that chemical company really changed the way I looked at things. Can't just shrug that off, much as I'd like to. Looking at the worst case scenario isn't the worst thing you can do.

Rich

#183 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:19 AM

Looking at the worst case scenario isn't the worst thing you can do.

Rich

Being a Computer Programmer/Consultant I had to learn to Think about Contingency Planning which has helped me in a lot of situations because what you expect to happen usually doesn't happen and you have to take an alternate course of action.
Here's My Setup

#184 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 December 2010 - 10:43 AM

BAZZINGA!

#185 OFFLINE   davel

davel

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 03:11 PM

I put the drive on top to boot it once for the format so the cables would reach with little effort and it was pretty sturdy. The original drive was not powered. Figuring I would have to take both out to do the transfer. That step is not the important one, it can be removed.

Edit: Yeah, sorry. I did an upgrade saving my old recordings, if you just nix the old drive it isn't needed. Clarified my original instructions.

Edited by davel, 20 December 2010 - 03:22 PM.

#186 OFFLINE   oldvanhalenrules

oldvanhalenrules

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 05:30 PM

Zip ties are the fix to the HR24-200 upgrade issue. Tighten them well and they're essentially as secure as screws. Thankfully, the hard drive support cage has those extra holes to thread through. There is enough clearance between the thicker HDD and the components underneath, too. I swapped out the Pipeline for a WD 2TB EVDS drive and had no issues.

Many thanks for the credit card suggestion for managing the case latches. I can't believe how simple that process was.

#187 OFFLINE   RussN

RussN

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:45 AM

How about pictures of an HR24-500?

#188 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,801 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:29 AM

Being a Computer Programmer/Consultant I had to learn to Think about Contingency Planning which has helped me in a lot of situations because what you expect to happen usually doesn't happen and you have to take an alternate course of action.

A good mantra.

I think the overall lesson with this practice is to take your time, plan you moves, have the right tools, and execute the steps carefully.

One thing that continues to amaze me is the number of folks doing this, as there are not that many owned devices out in the field (99% leased), and of course, opening up a unit violates the warranty - which may result in the end user having to pay full retail some time in the future for the device if it ever needs service, replacement, or it has to be returned.

I know that gets repeated, but it is a risk that alot of folks don't realize until its too late.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#189 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:33 AM

One thing that continues to amaze me is the number of folks doing this, as there are not that many owned devices out in the field (99% leased), and of course, opening up a unit violates the warranty - which may result in the end user having to pay full retail some time in the future for the device if it ever needs service, replacement, or it has to be returned.

That is why I go to Great Lengths to Buy My Owned Directv DVRs so I can Replace the Internal Hard Drive and have a Quieter less Obtrusive Looking DVR without Voiding the TOS Agreement. Also, I can take a couple of them in my RV without any problems.
Here's My Setup

#190 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,801 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:41 AM

That is why I go to Great Lengths to Buy My Owned Directv DVRs so I can Replace the Internal Hard Drive and have a Quieter less Obtrusive Looking DVR without Voiding the TOS Agreement.

Good move.

Boy...I bet somebody got alot of upgrade practice with all those HD DVRs there. :D

#191 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:46 AM

Good move.

Boy...I bet somebody got alot of upgrade practice with all those HD DVRs there. :D

Yes, I did get a lot of Upgrade Practice with all of the Upgrading of my DVRs and I also had a Friend help me and I had to Teach him how to do it so he was very happy that I helped educate him about how to Replace the Internal Drive effortlessly!!!

He is Forever Indebted To Me For That Education!!!

Hey, it's the least I could do for someone who draws Funny Pictures of me and ridicules me in the midst of my peers here at DBSTALK.COM, the Greatest Digital Broadcast Satellite Forum on Planet Earth!!!
Here's My Setup

#192 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:56 AM

BAZZINGA!

Mike's anything but a pessimist. Think about what he did: He leased three 22-100s and got burned, then, when the 24-500s came out he leased three of them. If that's not optimism, I'll kiss your BAZZINGA! :lol:

Rich

#193 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:58 AM

I put the drive on top to boot it once for the format so the cables would reach with little effort and it was pretty sturdy. The original drive was not powered. Figuring I would have to take both out to do the transfer. That step is not the important one, it can be removed.

Edit: Yeah, sorry. I did an upgrade saving my old recordings, if you just nix the old drive it isn't needed. Clarified my original instructions.

I was just curious, all I could see was getting distracted and knocking the new HDD onto the motherboard. That's the kind of luck I have. :)

Rich

#194 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:02 AM

Zip ties are the fix to the HR24-200 upgrade issue. Tighten them well and they're essentially as secure as screws. Thankfully, the hard drive support cage has those extra holes to thread through. There is enough clearance between the thicker HDD and the components underneath, too. I swapped out the Pipeline for a WD 2TB EVDS drive and had no issues.

Many thanks for the credit card suggestion for managing the case latches. I can't believe how simple that process was.

Now there's an answer I could have used a few months ago! Great idea! But my 200 bit the dust and was replaced with a 500. I think the 2TB HDD I have in a TT docking station on the 500 now will fit into the 500 without any problem, if everything I've read is correct.

Still a great idea, tho. Kudos!

Rich

#195 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:04 AM

How about pictures of an HR24-500?

They are on the forum, you just have to search for them. The "First Look" shows the interior of the 500s.

Rich

#196 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:01 AM

Mike's anything but a pessimist. Think about what he did: He leased three 22-100s and got burned, then, when the 24-500s came out he leased three of them. If that's not optimism, I'll kiss your BAZZINGA! :lol:

Rich

Geez Rich - I think that makes me a slow learner!:D

#197 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:29 AM

Maybe you are an Optimistic Slow Learner who is a Pessimist!!! :D

Or Just A Glutton For Punishment!!! :lol:
Here's My Setup

#198 OFFLINE   davel

davel

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:46 PM

Noted ad nauseam all over the forums, in this thread at least 4 times. Give it a rest.

#199 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,801 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:53 PM

Noted ad nauseam all over the forums, in this thread at least 4 times. Give it a rest.

As evidenced over and over...many folks don't read but a few posts here and there when they require assistance - therefore providing useful information they might miss is considered help.

You might just be surprised how many posters indicate "I wish somebody would have told me before I did this...". Helping is a good thing. Sorry you don't feel that way.

#200 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,872 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 December 2010 - 01:15 PM

Nah, just an unlucky optimist. Meant no offense, as usual. :)

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...