Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrading the internal hard drive on an HR24

• Please log in to reply
510 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:23 AM

That's a fifteen minute job for them. That works out to $500 a hour for labor. For someone that's never done it, it might take an hour. It's really simple when you know how to do it.

Rich

Yeah, I think it took me 10 minutes to Replace the Hard Drive in my HR24-500 as long as you have some old credit cards to cut up and put under the clips as you unhinge them and then pop off the lid and take out the drive, pop the new drive in and put the lid on (which takes about 30 seconds). Very Easy.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,079 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:24 AM

Yeah, I think it took me 10 minutes to Replace the Hard Drive in my HR24-500 as long as you have some old credit cards to cut up and put under the clips as you unhinge them and then pop off the lid and take out the drive, pop the new drive in and put the lid on (which takes about 30 seconds). Very Easy.

You forgot to mention it didn't work the first time you did that... !rolling

Details....details... :D:lol:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#223 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:26 AM

You forgot to mention it didn't work the first time you did that... !rolling

Details....details... :D:lol:

Well, that was because my Friend who helped me is a Klutz and is all Thumbs but a Really Nice Guy!!! :lol:

Edited by Richierich, 28 December 2010 - 09:32 AM.

Here's My Setup

#224 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,079 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:29 AM

Well, that was because my Friend who helped me is a Klutsch and is all Thumbs but a Really Nice Guy!!! :lol:

Bet he knows how to spell Klutz though... :lol:

#225 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:29 AM

12 minute jobs done here..multiple times... ;):D

That gets their hourly labor charge up to $625 an hour. :lol:

Rich

#226 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,079 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:30 AM

That gets their hourly labor charge up to $625 an hour. :lol:

Rich

Wait until RichieRich gets the bill.... !rolling

#227 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,224 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:31 AM

Dealing with those clips has to be the hardest part of the upgrade process. I'll have to try cut up credit cards next time, I typically use the four letter words method :lol:

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#228 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:09 AM

Dealing with those clips has to be the hardest part of the upgrade process. I'll have to try cut up credit cards next time, I typically use the four letter words method :lol:

If you don't use the credit cards, how could you possibly get the thing apart? It becomes, at least, a two man job.

Rich

#229 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,079 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:13 AM

If you don't use the credit cards, how could you possibly get the thing apart? It becomes, at least, a two man job.

Rich

Uh...it takes all of 30 seconds to get the cover part done safely if one knows the proper way to do it...no credit cards were used on the multiple units that received the HD surgery here.

#230 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:22 AM

Uh...it takes all of 30 seconds to get the cover part done safely if one knows the proper way to do it...no credit cards were used on the multiple units that received the HD surgery here.

Yes, you just have to keep upward pressure on the Lid so the Clips don't Slip back down into the Groove that was holding it in place originally.

The Guy who showed me how is Really Smart and he took the lid off in about 2 minutes.
Here's My Setup

#231 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,950 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 10:39 AM

Rich

I've found that it's not really that difficult. I used a spudger to disengage the two latches on one side, hole the case so they don't re-engage, and then do the other side. Takes less then a minute.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#232 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,224 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:00 AM

Yes, you just have to keep upward pressure on the Lid so the Clips don't Slip back down into the Groove that was holding it in place originally.

The Guy who showed me how is Really Smart and he took the lid off in about 2 minutes.

This is pretty much how I have done it.
I don't have that much practice at taking my owned HRxx units apart (not as muh as I had with my Tivo units) and probably spend about 5 minutes fooling with the clips.

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#233 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,119 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:38 AM

Who wants to copy my hard drive to a 2TB and drop it in my owned 24? :lol:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#234 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:49 AM

I've done it both ways. I keep strips of credit cards in my toolkit. It is just easier. I think.

Rich

#235 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:50 AM

Who wants to copy my hard drive to a 2TB and drop it in my owned 24? :lol:

If it's not a 24-200, I'll be happy to do it for you, just cover the shipping back and forth.

Rich

#236 OFFLINE   uscpsycho

uscpsycho

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:54 AM

As long as it fits okay but I would like the see the hard drive breathe or get air as much as possible so consider that. It's not like the DVR will be in an RV or a vehicle that is moving so you really don't need to secure it that much.

I've decided to remove the foam. The foam is packed in there pretty tight, too dense for any air to circulate on the side of the drive pressing against it.

Sounds like you've done quite a few of these, what do you usually do with the foam?

Weaknees is for people with lots of Disposable Income who feel they can't do the Upgrade or do not want to do the Upgrade.

For the Average Joe Sixpack I would think they would be more inclined to do the install theirself especially if they have replaced a hard drive in a PC.

I had them Upgrade my HR10-250s way back when but they also copied the Recordings from the Old Drive to the New Drive which I didn't how to do so I let them do it.

Yes and no.

Yes, Weaknees is definitely for people with disposable income. A friend of mine was on the verge of buying one of their external hard drives. Have you seen the prices on those things :eek2: She didn't realize you could plug in any old esata hard drive. Doesn't even know what esata is. Just assumes if you want higher capacity you have to buy it through weaknees.

So average Joe Sixpack may not even know they can do this on their own. But given the level of education/intelligence of Joe Sixpack in America I would not say this is a Joe Sixpack job. Joe Sixpack barely understands how to work their computer/microwave/cellphone/etc. This hard drive upgrade is easy for someone who's cracked open their PC case a time or two and knows how the cables plug/unplug, knows how to install a hard drive, etc. If you've never done these things before (Joe Sixpack) good luck!

What's that foam made out of? There is a "Right to know" law that says that we have the right to know of any materials that could be dangerous. If that foam overheats and releases vapors, what exactly will happen? The 24s should come with an MSDS sheet that explains fully what those vapors are.

If they had a warehouse full of those foam pads and a fire occurred, the first thing a fireman would ask for is the MSDS data for those pads. If it wasn't produced they could just let the warehouse burn to the ground.

Rich

I am calling it foam because the previous guy called it foam. So just to use consistent terminology. But foam is not a good name for it. It's a sponge. I don't know what it's made of, it's made of the same thing sponges are made out of because it is a sponge.

Again, leaving the foam/sponge in there with a 2TB drive it's packed in very densely so there's no room for air to circulate on that side of the drive.

That's a fifteen minute job for them. That works out to $500 a hour for labor. For someone that's never done it, it might take an hour. It's really simple when you know how to do it.

Rich

Yeah, it probably took me an hour. But that's because one I had all six of the side clips disengaged I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get the lid off. Intuitively I wanted to pull the case off from the front and just couldn't figure out how to do that. After quite a bit of frustration I discovered that you lift from the back and then the whole thing comes apart.

#237 OFFLINE   uscpsycho

uscpsycho

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 12:04 PM

I've decided to remove the foam. The foam is packed in there pretty tight, too dense for any air to circulate on the side of the drive pressing against it.

Hmm... Now I'm not so sure about this.

I mean, when you install a hard drive in a PC one side is typically pressed up against metal or plastic. And with multiple drives they're almost stacked up against each other. So the drives doesn't necessarily need "air to breathe."

However, this foam/sponge is compressed so much that it's placing a fair amount of pressure against the drive, it's not just flush with the drive like a hard drive cage would be. The constant pressure can't be good. I think I just talked myself back into removing it. I mean there is no potential harm in leaving space above and below the drive so I should err on the side of caution.

#238 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 01:50 PM

Glad you got it done and I should have taken the time to tell you to lift it up and then backwards to get the Lid off of the Case but once you have done it you will be able to do it much easier and quicker then next time as you just need the knowledge of how to do it to make it a snap.
Here's My Setup

#239 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,349 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 December 2010 - 02:09 PM

I mean, when you install a hard drive in a PC one side is typically pressed up against metal or plastic. And with multiple drives they're almost stacked up against each other. So the drives doesn't necessarily need "air to breathe."

However, this foam/sponge is compressed so much that it's placing a fair amount of pressure against the drive, it's not just flush with the drive like a hard drive cage would be. The constant pressure can't be good. I think I just talked myself back into removing it. I mean there is no potential harm in leaving space above and below the drive so I should err on the side of caution.

It's like milk: When in doubt, throw it out. One thing you can be certain of: It's not sponge, it's a spongy material made out of God knows what. Having spent a lifetime (well, it sure seemed like a lifetime) in the chemical and plastics industry, I don't trust things like that.

Rich

#240 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,079 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:27 PM

However, this foam/sponge is compressed so much that it's placing a fair amount of pressure against the drive, it's not just flush with the drive like a hard drive cage would be.

Hmmm...wonder what happens if that foam is specifically designed to serve a purpose with the original drive...and a replacement drive requires the same thing. Vibration buffer?

I'd never consider installing a replacement drive that has to be modified from the original install size/location/method....but that's just me.

I've seen replacement drives fit just fine with the foam.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...