Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrading the internal hard drive on an HR24

• Please log in to reply
498 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:41 PM

If you know a purpose of the 'sponge' you could do what is needs to do with or without it.
Knowledge is the power.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,858 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:50 PM

Hmmm...wonder what happens if that foam is specifically designed to serve a purpose with the original drive...and a replacement drive requires the same thing. Vibration buffer?

I'd never consider installing a replacement drive that has to be modified from the original install size/location/method....but that's just me.

I've seen replacement drives fit just fine with the foam.

I've always thought it was for vibrational and noise dampening...of course I’ve been wrong before. :lol:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#243 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 03:57 PM

I've always thought it was for vibrational and noise dampening...of course I’ve been wrong before. :lol:

Mike

That was my contention...and we can't possible both be wrong together.... !rolling
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#244 OFFLINE   uscpsycho

uscpsycho

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:02 PM

Hmmm...wonder what happens if that foam is specifically designed to serve a purpose with the original drive...and a replacement drive requires the same thing. Vibration buffer?

I'd never consider installing a replacement drive that has to be modified from the original install size/location/method....but that's just me.

I've seen replacement drives fit just fine with the foam.

Yes, of course the foam serves a purpose with the original drive or it wouldn't be there.

Now, does the replacement drive "require" the same thing? I would argue no it is not required. It's a hard drive and most hard drives work perfectly fine without a foamy sponge pressed against them. There could be benefits in some applications like a DVR, but "required?" I think not...

Have you seen 2TB replacement drives that fit just fine with the foam? If so what kind?

Mike

I agree with this. They've taken great care to minimize vibration and dampen noise in the DVR. The hard drive is supported by rubber plugs which I'm certain are for minimizing vibration & noise. And it seems like a logical conclusion that foam's purpose is the same.

We could be wrong, it may have some other purpose. But is there any harm in running the DVR without the foam? Almost certainly not. Is there any harm in jamming it in between the drive and the cage? Possibly. I'll err on the side of caution here.

I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed before as it seems any 2TB upgrade would run into this problem of what to do with the foam...

#245 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,858 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:24 PM

That was my contention...and we can't possible both be wrong together.... !rolling

We definitely both can't be wrong about the same thing at the same time. :D

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#246 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:25 PM

I would save the padding in case I had to replace it prior to sending it back for a Replacement along with the Original Drive.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#247 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:27 PM

Mike

I was thinking the same thing as they have had problems in the past with noise from the drives and this would help keep it from vibrating and rattling around and perhaps increase the life of the drive.
Here's My Setup

#248 OFFLINE   uscpsycho

uscpsycho

Mentor

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:35 PM

I would save the padding in case I had to replace it prior to sending it back for a Replacement along with the Original Drive.

Yeah, I'm going to keep it but by the time I have to send this back I won't for the life of me remember where "that damn sponge" came from. LOL If I don't send it back with the foam I doubt they'd ever notice it was missing. And if they do I'll just plead ignorance, it's possible it was left out in manufacturing.

I was thinking the same thing as they have had problems in the past with noise from the drives and this would help keep it from vibrating and rattling around and perhaps increase the life of the drive.

If every other drive in the world survives without foam I can't imagine not having foam would reduce the life of the drive.

As it is the drive is suspended by four rubber plugs and is not in contact with any other surface. It's not going to rattle or vibrate against anything. The more I think about it the more I believe the foam is there to dampen the noise that is normally made by the hard drive. I can tell you the drive in my HR20 makes an annoying amount of noise. If this drive is just as loud I may consider replacing the foam.

#249 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:39 PM

Yeah, I'm going to keep it but by the time I have to send this back I won't for the life of me remember where "that damn sponge" came from. LOL If I don't send it back with the foam I doubt they'd ever notice it was missing. And if they do I'll just plead ignorance, it's possible it was left out in manufacturing.

I put my hard drive in a Zip Loc Bag and then use a Sharpie to note which DVR it came from with the RID # of that DVR in case I need to take out the replacement drive because of failure. However, since I Own mine I would just put the original back in and if it works go buy another larger drive (2 TB) and then put that in the DVR and I'm back in business.

Awhile back there were tons of posts about drives thrashing and making an inordinate amount of noise. So maybe that is why they added that foam padding.
Here's My Setup

#250 OFFLINE   davel

davel

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:48 PM

As far as needing special tools, I used 2 small screwdrivers in my upgrade pictures, that was it!

As far as directv caring what you send back, yeah right! I know of people that have sent back upgraded units when the unit died and didn't bother to replace the 750gb back with the 320gb that came with it because the time wasn't worth it. If they "approve" weekknees for upgrades good luck ever proving anything. If they were smart they would just design a dvr with a slide in drive to save the hassle.

#251 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 04:52 PM

If they were smart they would just design a dvr with a slide in drive to save the hassle.

Now That Is A Terrific Idea!!!

I have a PC with an External Drive Bay and you just slide the External Drive in and you are Good To Go!!!
Here's My Setup

#252 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:01 PM

...If every other drive in the world survives without foam I can't imagine not having foam would reduce the life of the drive.

It's definitely trade-off from engineering stand point, while it absorbing vibration/reduce noise the 'sponge' degrade air convection around the drive ie increasing internal temperature eg reduce life of the drive.

#253 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:02 PM

It's definitely trade-off from engineering stand point, while it absorbing vibration/reduce noise the 'sponge' degrade air convection around the drive ie increasing internal temperature eg reduce life of the drive.

That was my point as Heat is the Number One Enemy of a Hard Drive!!!
Here's My Setup

#254 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 09:49 PM

That was my point as Heat is the Number One Enemy of a Hard Drive!!!

Well....maybe #2.....right after that dropping incident you had. !rolling

#255 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 07:28 AM

Well....maybe #2.....right after that dropping incident you had. !rolling

Yes, but the hard drive was wrapped in Foam Padding so it didn't hurt the hard drive at all.
Here's My Setup

#256 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,398 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:33 AM

I think you've got a pretty good handle on the sponge issue. Go with your gut.

Rich

Yes, of course the foam serves a purpose with the original drive or it wouldn't be there.

Now, does the replacement drive "require" the same thing? I would argue no it is not required. It's a hard drive and most hard drives work perfectly fine without a foamy sponge pressed against them. There could be benefits in some applications like a DVR, but "required?" I think not...

Have you seen 2TB replacement drives that fit just fine with the foam? If so what kind?

I agree with this. They've taken great care to minimize vibration and dampen noise in the DVR. The hard drive is supported by rubber plugs which I'm certain are for minimizing vibration & noise. And it seems like a logical conclusion that foam's purpose is the same.

We could be wrong, it may have some other purpose. But is there any harm in running the DVR without the foam? Almost certainly not. Is there any harm in jamming it in between the drive and the cage? Possibly. I'll err on the side of caution here.

I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed before as it seems any 2TB upgrade would run into this problem of what to do with the foam...

#257 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,398 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:35 AM

I put my hard drive in a Zip Loc Bag and then use a Sharpie to note which DVR it came from with the RID # of that DVR in case I need to take out the replacement drive because of failure. However, since I Own mine I would just put the original back in and if it works go buy another larger drive (2 TB) and then put that in the DVR and I'm back in business.

Awhile back there were tons of posts about drives thrashing and making an inordinate amount of noise. So maybe that is why they added that foam padding.

The first "spongeworthy" HRs were the 20-100s, long before we had the thrashing problems.

Rich

#258 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:38 AM

Hitachi drives are a bit thinner, and work very, very well here now for some time. More important...the HR24-100, HR24-200, and HR24-500 models each have some slight variations on how the drives are mounted inside, so the "foam issue" does not come into play the same way in all 3 models. I read more about the -200 foam variation than the other two models.

They've taken great care to minimize vibration and dampen noise in the DVR. The hard drive is supported by rubber plugs which I'm certain are for minimizing vibration & noise. And it seems like a logical conclusion that foam's purpose is the same.

Agree....noise reduction/vibration control are the main purposes for the drive mount techniques used...eliminate any one of the methods...and one might think it defeats the intended purpose/results as well.

#259 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,398 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:40 AM

Agree, I do. Also, heat and foam padding don't usually get along too well.

Rich

#260 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,467 posts

Posted 29 December 2010 - 09:49 AM

The first "spongeworthy" HRs were the 20-100s, long before we had the thrashing problems.

Rich

Ah, so you have Watched "Seinfeld" a time or two!!! The "Spongeworthy" Episode was indeed Funny!!! :lol:
Here's My Setup

spam firewall