Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrading the internal hard drive on an HR24

• Please log in to reply
510 replies to this topic

#326 OFFLINE   elixir26

elixir26

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:23 PM

Found it. Wonder why amazon.com doesn't have them? Anyhow, after reading the specs for the EURS, I noticed a link to a 2TB EARS and that description was totally different. Mentioned only PCs.

Next summer, when it's upgrade time I'll be sure to try one of the EURS out. So far that's one Hitachi and one WD EURS that I've said I will try out. Thanx for the info and don't be offended if you see me continue to recommend the EADS and EVDS drives. I'm not comfortable recommending a drive I haven't tried. Please post or PM me if anything untoward happens.

Thanx again,

Rich

No problem, I'm not offend-able in any case. I should clear up why I went for the EURS instead of the EADS....I have a 8 month old defective EADS so I was gun-shy about jumping into another. I know I know some folks have them running without a problem for decades. I wasn't one of those guys though.
1 HR20-700
3 HR24-500
1 HR24-100
1 AZiO External Enclosure
WD 2tb WD20EADS,
WD 2tb WD20EURS,

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#327 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,384 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

However, I don't let my Poverty Years Dictate to me what I can or have to do now. You have to adjust your thinking as your income increases but not be Foolish in your decisions.

Of course choices are always good.

Then again....getting something of equal or better quality for less money to accomplish the same thing is a smart move...but sometimes it requires a slight bit of patience to accomplish it.

The point was that being first comes at a price in most cases. That's nothing new, and just a manner of choice. Early adopters always pay more.

Right now..there are plenty of good 1TB and 2Tb drives out there, all at a much lower price than just 6 or 12 months ago. Happy shopping to those who are looking.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#328 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,640 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:19 AM

No problem, I'm not offend-able in any case. I should clear up why I went for the EURS instead of the EADS....I have a 8 month old defective EADS so I was gun-shy about jumping into another. I know I know some folks have them running without a problem for decades. I wasn't one of those guys though.

I know I have a couple EADS HDDs, maybe three, that are still running and running well, but I did have to return one. Too noisy for any room. Trust me, I'd buy an EURS today if I had a reason to. I do my upgrades in the summer months in preparation for the upcoming season. To do an upgrade now wouldn't be in my best interests. I do look forward to purchasing one. And I do appreciate your posts.

Rich

#329 OFFLINE   Chip Moody

Chip Moody

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 06:39 PM

The very drive I dropped into my HR21Pro today! :)

- Chip

This is the info from Newegg. When I saw the DVR in the info I figured I'd give it a shot. It's still working great.

Western Digital AV-GP WD20EURS 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

"How can one little insulated wire bring so much happiness!?!" - Homer Simpson

#330 OFFLINE   pennsylvaniaRON

pennsylvaniaRON

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:20 PM

Does anyone know if a 3TB drive (Newegg has 2 drives a seagate and hitachi) will work in an hr24-500?:confused: Uh, sorry, an OWNED HR24-500:lol: Regards...

\\\\|////
~ÖÖ~
-----oOOo-(_)-oOOo-----
PennsylvaniaRON

#331 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,280 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:41 AM

Does anyone know if a 3TB drive (Newegg has 2 drives a seagate and hitachi) will work in an hr24-500?:confused: Uh, sorry, an OWNED HR24-500:lol: Regards...

You'll be first who will do that. ;)

#332 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,487 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 07:18 AM

No, as there is a Kernel Limitation of 2 TB and I don't see that changing either but it would be nice but maybe it would cause the CPU to become Overworked by too much Indexing, Sorting, etc. of the Playlist, Guide Data, etc.

Edited by Richierich, 14 January 2011 - 07:47 AM.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#333 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:40 PM

Have you considered watching and deleting some of your recordings or archiving to DVD?

#334 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,384 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:45 PM

Have you considered watching and deleting some of your recordings or archiving to DVD?

Then again...some of us have more than 1 HD DVR as well...that solves multiple issues. ;)

#335 OFFLINE   pennsylvaniaRON

pennsylvaniaRON

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:33 PM

Ahh, Dave good suggestion but I have that covered. I own a Hauppague PVR which I am able to use to take anything recorded off my DVR and burn it to either dvd or blu ray.;) I am also A+ certified in pc repair so taking my owned:lol: hr24-100 apart and upgrading is a walk in the park.:) I have a 1.5 TB in my owned HR21 which still has 28% remaining.:D The idea is to copy it to the 3TB and then I'll have 2 dvr's with the same data. Sort of a backup.;)

The only thing that will prevent a larger drive over 2TB is the software the DVR uses. It's my contention that the software will handle well over 2tb. I may be wrong here but I haven't found a post where someone has tried it and failed. If so please send the link and I won't waste my time. I can always use the 3TB in my computer. I'll just trueimage my 1TB C drive to the 3tb and use the 1TB as my backup. It will never go to waste. So I'll order that 3tb drive on Monday and report back ASAP.

But to be honest the real reason I would like to put a 3TB drive in my HR24 is because of a famous line from the movie Tombstone. I want to try it for the RECKONING!:lol:
Regards...

\\\\|////
~ÖÖ~
-----oOOo-(_)-oOOo-----
PennsylvaniaRON

#336 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,487 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:39 PM

You might want to PM Rich584 and ask him as he knows someone who tried it with an External Drive and it didn't work because of the 2 TB Kernel Limitation.

So, if you know how to get around or change the 2 TB Kernel Limitation then go for it but Too Many Recordings cause the CPU to become Sluggish so maybe you could Upgrade the CPU and RAM also.

Give it a Shot and let us know how it works.
Here's My Setup

#337 OFFLINE   pennsylvaniaRON

pennsylvaniaRON

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:42 PM

You might want to PM Rich584 and ask him as he knows someone who tried it with an External Drive and it didn't work because of the 2 TB Kernel Limitation.

So, if you know how to get around or change the 2 TB Kernel Limitation then go for it but Too Many Recordings cause the CPU to become Sluggish so maybe you could Upgrade the CPU and RAM also.

Give it a Shot and let us know how it works.

Rich:
I really would not know how to do that. I'll just throw the 3TB in there next week. Thats easy enough. I guess the only way to know if I'm using 3TB is to copy my 1.5TB that has 28% remaining and then see if it copied correctly with a higher % remaining. If it works great, if not then we know there is a limitation on INTERNAL drives. Knowledge is power. Regards...

\\\\|////
~ÖÖ~
-----oOOo-(_)-oOOo-----
PennsylvaniaRON

#338 OFFLINE   elixir26

elixir26

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 03:48 PM

Cheers to the 3tb experiment! I hope it works for you. I'm happy not to be on point for this one..:)
1 HR20-700
3 HR24-500
1 HR24-100
1 AZiO External Enclosure
WD 2tb WD20EADS,
WD 2tb WD20EURS,

#339 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,487 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:09 PM

If you do a Search here in this Forum you will find Many Many Posts about People who have tried this and Failed or they would have put up a Big Sign that it worked but give it a shot if you don't believe that there is a Kernel Limitation.

In essence, do a Search for Kernel Limitation and see the Results!!!

Might Save You Alot Of Time!!!
Here's My Setup

#340 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,280 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:12 PM

If you do a Search here in this Forum you will find Many Many Posts about People who have tried this and Failed or they would have put up a Big Sign that it worked but give it a shot if you don't believe that there is a Kernel Limitation.

In essence, do a Search for Kernel Limitation and see the Results!!!

Might Save You Alot Of Time!!!

Don't rush to the advice.

Since those [obsolete soon ? ;)] posts new FW came and no one know the answer.

#341 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,487 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:14 PM

Don't rush to the advice.

Since those [obsolete soon ? ;)] posts new FW came and no one know the answer.

Mr. P Smith, you always continue to Amaze me just like my Female Masseuse in Las Vegas!!!

Can I become your Consultant as an Interpreter??? :)
Here's My Setup

#342 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,640 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:37 PM

I don't recall anyone trying it. I wanted to, but I got rid of my RAID boxes and haven't seen a 3TB drive that I thought would work in an HR. I did fill up a RAID box set to full and got the full 2TBs and had content dropping off as room was needed. I do think I could have gone farther.

But, let's face it, 2TBs is an almost obscene amount of storage and the only reason I use them is to keep the percentage of space available up. I don't even know how many 2TB HDDs or how many 1.5s I have at the moment. I really should have labeled all my owned HRs, but I didn't even consider doing that at the time I installed the large internals.

The other thing to consider is that externals bog down the HRs when they get to about 70% full (that's any size external HDD) and I don't know what a 3TB would do to an HR.

Rich

#343 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,280 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:34 PM

Mr. P Smith, you always continue to Amaze me just like my Female Masseuse in Las Vegas!!!

Can I become your Consultant as an Interpreter??? :)

My pleasure and appreciation - just PM any my grammar error or (if you don't mind) just post in a thread and I would be glad to learn from you. NOT kidding!

#344 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,487 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:42 PM

My pleasure and appreciation - just PM any my grammar error or (if you don't mind) just post in a thread and I would be glad to learn from you. NOT kidding!

I really do Appreciate Your Knowledge and Understand that Learning another language is not always easy (you should see my attempt at Spanish) so if I can help you I will because I know you have alot of technical expertise and knowledge!!! :)
Here's My Setup

#345 OFFLINE   pennsylvaniaRON

pennsylvaniaRON

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:53 PM

It's no big deal for me to try this. I have been researching the 2.2tb limit and now have another reason to get the 3tb. I'm not even sure it will work in my computer let alone the HR24. In a computer you have to have a 64 bit OS (I use win 7_64) but you also need and EFI bios which I do not have. I'm using an Asus very new model mobo but as far as I can tell its not EFI. So there's another challenge.

If the drive doesnt work it will cost me $35 in restocking and return postage fees. not a big deal. It probably won't work in the HR but if no one tries then we'll never know. My HR24-100 has a manuf. date of 11/15/2010 so its only been around 2 months.

Will probably have an answer by next wednesday if I get the drive in 1 day. Regards...

\\\\|////
~ÖÖ~
-----oOOo-(_)-oOOo-----
PennsylvaniaRON

#346 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,280 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:35 PM

Do not use it as boot (SSD is better), should works as a secondary [data].

#347 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:49 PM

Then again...some of us have more than 1 HD DVR as well...that solves multiple issues. ;)

If you thought archiving was such a bad idea, why did you go to the trouble of creating a poll about it? And please tell me what it's like to have more than 1 HD DVR. Here in my simple hovel, I can only dream of such luxury.

#348 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,487 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 03:18 AM

It's no big deal for me to try this. I have been researching the 2.2tb limit and now have another reason to get the 3tb. I'm not even sure it will work in my computer let alone the HR24. In a computer you have to have a 64 bit OS (I use win 7_64) but you also need and EFI bios which I do not have. I'm using an Asus very new model mobo but as far as I can tell its not EFI. So there's another challenge.

If the drive doesnt work it will cost me $35 in restocking and return postage fees. not a big deal. It probably won't work in the HR but if no one tries then we'll never know. My HR24-100 has a manuf. date of 11/15/2010 so its only been around 2 months.

Will probably have an answer by next wednesday if I get the drive in 1 day. Regards...

How will you know it works until you fill up the Drive and see if you can access all of the recordings?
Here's My Setup

#349 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,487 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 04:56 AM

If you thought archiving was such a bad idea, why did you go to the trouble of creating a poll about it? And please tell me what it's like to have more than 1 HD DVR. Here in my simple hovel, I can only dream of such luxury.

He Never said Archiving was a Bad Idea.

For some it is a Great Idea and for some they may never use it. For those who will use it, it is worth a lot especially if you have ever lost all of your Recordings on a DVR where the hard drive failed.

I have 7 DVRs, 3 of which Backup the other 4 DVRs in case of hard drive failure. I would love the ability to offload my Recordings so if one of my DVRs experiences a hard drive failure, I can simply Replace the drive and then load those archived recordings back onto the new drive and I am back in business.
Here's My Setup

#350 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,384 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 09:14 AM

Archiving and having multiple HD DVRs are predominantly unrelated.

Yes, you can use a second HD DVR to duplicate your recordings...but that's a "band-aid" solution.

Relating this to this thread at hand...having another HD DVR simply expands capacity. You can also accomplish the same thing with an external eSATA drive. Choice are good.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...