Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrading the internal hard drive on an HR24

• Please log in to reply
497 replies to this topic

#361 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,255 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:51 PM

I imagine Directv realized that Exceeding the 2 TB Limit would cause Sluggishness and a General Slowing Down of the DVR because the CPU would be Overworked and couldn't properly handle all of the tasks, so perhaps that is why they set that Kernel Limatation.

Let's take a shot at some scientific reasoning about this:

How many files are we talking? I'm guessing not more than 300. Doesn't sound like it would swamp a directory cache. The data block size could be relatively large; limiting the size of the bitmap.

It may seem insurmountable when you apply the constructs available in Windows, but when you use something a lot more scalable, it doesn't have to bring the hardware to its knees.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#362 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,100 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:19 AM

I just received the 3TB hard drive for this experiment. I wonder if the people following this thread could help me. I only upgraded my hr21 once to a 1.5TB and that was awhile ago. I really don't want to lose all my programs that are on that 1.5TB drive now by having the dvr format it by mistake.

This is the procedure I used last time: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=148760

Before copying I know I have to install the new drive into the dvr, let it format and then do a graceful power down. I believe I have to do a graceful power down with the original drive. Is that correct? if so (and especially if this doesn't work) can I just put the original drive back into the dvr and power up? It won't format my drive will it? regards....:confused::eek2:

You should never get an HDD reformatted whether you put it back in/on the original HR or another one. All your programs should remain intact and will be viewable on the HR that they were recorded on.

Rich

#363 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,100 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 January 2011 - 09:00 AM

You should never get an HDD reformatted whether you put it back in/on the original HR or another one. All your programs should remain intact and will be viewable on the HR that they were recorded on.

Rich

Just posting to get back on this thread. Ignore it.

Rich

#364 OFFLINE   pennsylvaniaRON

pennsylvaniaRON

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:38 PM

Rich

Ok I surely hope so. here's another dilemma. I have 2 hrxx's. an HR21-700 and the new HR24-100. All the programs were recorded on the hr21-700. Now I want to copy them to the HR24-100. Do you then think the hr24 will format my original drive?

To play it safe I'll do a graceful power down of my original drive in the hr21-700. Then put the 3TB in the new hr24-100 and let it format. That alone should be interesting because it's a 3TB. If that goes smoothly then I'll do the gparted procedure and put the copy (3TB) in the HR24-100. If that doesn't work then I'll try it with a 2TB.

I can't do this until tomorrow, Thursday. The snow (weather) messed up my day today. Regards...

\\\\|////
~ÖÖ~
-----oOOo-(_)-oOOo-----
PennsylvaniaRON

#365 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 08:41 PM

Won't work. Recordings are tied to the RID of the receiver they are recorded on. They won't transfer.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#366 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,100 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:06 PM

Ok I surely hope so. here's another dilemma. I have 2 hrxx's. an HR21-700 and the new HR24-100. All the programs were recorded on the hr21-700. Now I want to copy them to the HR24-100. Do you then think the hr24 will format my original drive?

No, it's never happened to me, but it has happened to others. Don't know what I do differently, but I always retain my original shows and all the other stuff.

To play it safe I'll do a graceful power down of my original drive in the hr21-700. Then put the 3TB in the new hr24-100 and let it format.

That, alone, should be interesting. Please let us know what happens.

Don't really know if I'd ever bother with a 3TB drive, but I can feel the lust building. :lol:

Rich

#367 OFFLINE   pennsylvaniaRON

pennsylvaniaRON

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:07 PM

Won't work. Recordings are tied to the RID of the receiver they are recorded on. They won't transfer.

Failure then disaster. The failure is the Hitachi 3TB does not work. Won't even boot. When installed in an HR21-700 after a self check eventually you get a blue screen with error code 14-783. It gives you a box on that screen to reboot which I did and got the same error.

Failure in the hr24-100. Same exact thing happens but error code is slightly different. its 14-198 (but same message) having to do with the storage device have an initiazation problem or a critical error and to call D*.

Disaster. I went to copy my original hard drive to the 2TB. I did graceful shutdowns of both hard drives and then took them to my test computer. definitely hooked up the original on sata1 (sdb) and new drive on sata0 (sda). I ran gparted (latest ver) and it seemed to start and I went to bed. It said there were lot of files and directories.

I hooked up my original drive to the hr21 and it did a self check, then the step 1 of 2, then step 2, lots of almost there, 3 seconds etc. Then it got the satellite info and did the rebuilding schedular list (which took awhile about 6 minutes?). Then I got CNN but the remote didnt work. I couldnt do anything. I pressed the power button on the receiver and it rebooted and went into a loop of self checking etc. so I had no alternative except to pull the plug.

When it restarted and did the self check again it eventually came to the same screen failures the 3TB produced with an error 15-577. I am sick. All my NCAA games gone. I tried doing a copy again and got the super block error i guess because I cant do a graceful power down of my orig. drive. In addition gparted is showing that I'm only using <1.5 gb and there's 14gb free. So I assume its gone gone gone. I think I may have type uNmount at the end instead of umount. But I never saw it say success which I think its supposed to do. Yes I still have my health!!! Regards...

\\\\|////
~ÖÖ~
-----oOOo-(_)-oOOo-----
PennsylvaniaRON

#368 OFFLINE   pennsylvaniaRON

pennsylvaniaRON

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:14 PM

As far as the 3tb upgrade the only other thing to try is the WD 3tb which may differ from the hitachi somehow. the hitachi is sataIII. D* has been using sataII. who knows?? maybe when I become undepressed from my disaster I'll get one. they were out of stock. In addition most people are using western digital drives in the upgrades. Cant think of anything else. In fact I can't even think! regards...

\\\\|////
~ÖÖ~
-----oOOo-(_)-oOOo-----
PennsylvaniaRON

#369 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,100 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:25 PM

As far as the 3tb upgrade the only other thing to try is the WD 3tb which may differ from the hitachi somehow. the hitachi is sataIII. D* has been using sataII. who knows?? maybe when I become undepressed from my disaster I'll get one. they were out of stock. In addition most people are using western digital drives in the upgrades. Cant think of anything else. In fact I can't even think! regards...

Kudos for trying!

Rich

#370 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 20 January 2011 - 02:28 PM

At least you did try :). So, let it go and your 'depression' will gone in a week.

#371 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,100 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 January 2011 - 06:35 PM

At least you did try :). So, let it go and your 'depression' will gone in a week.

Give him a chance, perhaps he's got something with the SATA II vs III.

Rich

#372 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• Registered
  • 693 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:16 PM

Since the 3TB don't work.......can we fall back and see if a 2.5TB will work.....if there's a company that makes them?

Or maybe an eSata splitter for two smaller external drives.....

I'm starting to run out of recording room on my setup! :lol:

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#373 OFFLINE   pennsylvaniaRON

pennsylvaniaRON

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:33 PM

Since the 3TB don't work.......can we fall back and see if a 2.5TB will work.....if there's a company that makes them?

Now that I got lucky and repaired my original 1.5TB drive, thread:

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=189182

I think I may try, just for the fun of it, the WD 3TB drive that has a 3.0gb/s transfer speed. I doubt that's the problem but again, no one knows. this is the drive Western Digital Caviar Green WD30EZRSDTL 3TB 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s. The price has come down on the web with free shipping so here we go again.

On another note: when the 3tb drive didnt work in the hr24 I put it in my computer. Only one 2.2tb partition was seen even with win 7_64. I use an Asus motherboard. Asus has a utility called disk unlocker which enables a user to use the entire drive. it made a second 746gb partition which windows set up as a separate drive letter. but for the life of me I could not delete that partition. I even used gparted which deletes it but it comes back. when i tried installing win 7 on it and went to delete that partition the delete button is grayed out. It seems to make it a DRIVE and not a partition. fyi..
regards..

\\\\|////
~ÖÖ~
-----oOOo-(_)-oOOo-----
PennsylvaniaRON

#374 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:21 PM

Buy another DVR and put a 2 TB drive in it and you'll have 4 TBs of Space and 100 Series Links and 4 Tuners to play with. :D
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#375 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• Registered
  • 693 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:36 PM

Buy another DVR and put a 2 TB drive in it and you'll have 4 TBs of Space and 100 Series Links and 4 Tuners to play with. :D

I got that beat already with 21+ tuners and 500 Series Links and 7.5TB's of space.......I don't think I'll be rushing out to get an HMC when they come out either! :lol:

#376 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

I got that beat already with 21+ tuners and 500 Series Links and 7.5TB's of space.......I don't think I'll be rushing out to get an HMC when they come out either! :lol:

Yes, I guess you and me and Rich584 and Tom Robertson are in a Special Category that Directv never thought about.

I've got 14 Tuners and 350 Series Links and 14 TBs of Storage Capacity so I think I am Good To Go!!! :hurah: :lol::lol::lol:

I think Poor Rich is down to 11 DVRs, 22 Tuners, 550 Series Links and 18.5 TBs of Space.

We definitely are not the Normal Directv Customer. :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#377 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• Registered
  • 693 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:49 PM

Yes, I guess you and me and Rich584 and Tom Robertson are in a Special Category that Directv never thought about.

I've got 14 Tuners and 350 Series Links and 14 TBs of Storage Capacity so I think I am Good To Go!!! :hurah: :lol::lol::lol:

I think Poor Rich is down to 11 DVRs, 22 Tuners, 550 Series Links and 18.5 TBs of Space.

My wife lets me know all the time that I'm not normal. :lol::nono:

#378 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,604 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:57 PM

If they need any character witnesses... :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#379 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:16 PM

Guys...

I'd prefer this not be a general discussion thread.

Thanks.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#380 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,604 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:19 PM

So we've learned that Sata II is the standard used, and 2TB is the cap size for the drive.

Lesson learned.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

spam firewall