Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrading the internal hard drive on an HR24

• Please log in to reply
510 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:35 PM

I'm not sure you'll see such a tutorial here for some time, if ever.

Well whoever does it, be sure to video it and post a link to the video. :)
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:44 PM

Stuart, I can appreciate DirecTV does not want this done and in fact they want the main stream folks to leave well enough alone but as I'm reminded over and over in this Forum...the 1%-ers live here...not the main stream. Are you saying DBSTalk would not allow a thread or post showing this ? Obviously, disclaimers would have to be on the top that you violate warranty, etc. but don't see why the HR24 would be any different showing folks so motivated (personally I'm not since don't use my DVR for archiving) to attempt than previous HRxx.

For those reading the How-To Thread in Info/Resources: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=167440

agree - guess I won't know for sure until I actually get one and look at it

#23 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,475 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:04 AM

Stuart, I can appreciate DirecTV does not want this done and in fact they want the main stream folks to leave well enough alone but as I'm reminded over and over in this Forum...the 1%-ers live here...not the main stream. Are you saying DBSTalk would not allow a thread or post showing this ? Obviously, disclaimers would have to be on the top that you violate warranty, etc. but don't see why the HR24 would be any different showing folks so motivated (personally I'm not since don't use my DVR for archiving) to attempt than previous HRxx.

For those reading the How-To Thread in Info/Resources: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=167440

+1.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#24 OFFLINE   sxrxrnr1

sxrxrnr1

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:14 PM

I've run a Seagate Free Agent 750 gig with my HR 21 for a couple of years ok. Recently I noticed that it had reverted to the internal drive and I am seeing stuff that I recorded long ago.

I powered down both the DVR and the Free Agent several times. First I power up Free Agent and then DVR. Still continuously reverts to internal drive only.

Drive seems to power up and run ok with no extra noises.

Has it failed. Do cables ever fail. Perhaps the DVR Esata hardware or firmware is failing.

Any ideas?

Also I've been looking at external boxes for my other D* DVR's. I have 3 other D* units, plus 5 Tivos. Tivo's I've upgraded internal drives and all has been well for several years. Was wondering if this external box will serve me as a shelter for external sata 1 gig drives. Thermaltake N0012USU Max 4. Any one using them. Their reviews seem quite good on Amazon

#25 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,969 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:44 PM

Get another eSATA cable for final check.

#26 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,106 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:52 AM

OK, I'm probably the only person who will freely admit that he's tried this.

Why? because I took the pictures in the first look and I had DIRECTV's permission. So I have a bit of advice for you: don't do it.

I'm not going to give you detailed instructions, but I'm going to tell you that it took every flathead screwdriver I had, plus plastic putty knives and folded up pieces of paper. That was just to get the case off. I also removed a bunch of screws that I didn't need to, apparently.

It took me close to an hour to do all this and I darn near broke the front panel several times.
Then I got the thing open and you'll find two things: The drive is secured to the sled with wire and the SATA cable is so short it sits flush against the drive. Look at the pictures in the first look.

It was hard to be sure but the sled might also be soldered in.

As far as 2TB is concerned, I am not 100% sure you can even go up that high with an HR24. I know there are some other members of the HR2x family that won't run a 2TB internal.

My suggestion to you, sir... is eSATA.

And there goes the lust my heart was filled with. No more eSATAs for me.

Thanx for the tip. Saved me a lot of trouble. Great post!

Rich

#27 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 08:03 PM

So has anyone posted pictures/guide about doing an hr24 internal upgrade? I have one coming shortly and was thinking about maybe posting pictures if someone hasn't done so already.

#28 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,025 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:39 AM

So has anyone posted pictures/guide about doing an hr24 internal upgrade? I have one coming shortly and was thinking about maybe posting pictures if someone hasn't done so already.

In general...that tends to be frowned upon, especially since most users have leased units that should not be tampered with, per the subscriber agreement.

The "First Look" reports for the HR24-500 and HR24-100 models do show internal photos taken by the authors, as authorized by DirecTV.

Here are the post links, which contain PDF documents you can view:

http://www.dbstalk.c...819&postcount=4

http://www.dbstalk.c...376&postcount=1

Note: Often, folks think they are "buying" a unit from 3rd party vendors...when in fact...they are "leased" instead. Always check DirecTV first to see what their records indicate. With leased units - you break it, you buy it. :eek2:

If someone truly has an owned unit (which is very rare), they can pretty much do whatever they want to it. The risk of breaking something (the case, the internal components) is very high if you do not really know what you are doing.

P.S.....the housing cases on the HR24-500 and HR24-100 are virtually identical, but not exactly the same in terms of how they "mount" to the main frame of the DVR itself...more opportunity for damage without intimate experience.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#29 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:51 AM

Since the one you've got coming appears to be a lease, I'd recommend going the eSATA route anyway.

#30 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,025 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 05:56 AM

Since the one you've got coming appears to be a lease, I'd recommend going the eSATA route anyway.

Agreed.

#31 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:12 AM

I did post some pictures in another thread doing it on my OWNED HR24.

http://www.dbstalk.c...13&postcount=31

#32 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:27 AM

Those photos don't seem to address the mounting screw differences in addition to the clips...

Nor the drive mounts inside which are also different...like I said...the -500 and -100 models differ... as you likely know...one slight wrong move...and those clips (or case) are toast as well.

I've seen 3 HR24's opened, and the expert doing it looked like he was performing delicate surgery in the process - and he knew what he was doing.

Mine was an HR24-500. There was no screw removal required nor mounting screws for taking the cover off. Once you figured out the clip system and how to trip them it was very easy to take the cover off. However without pictures the first time, just a verbal description, it was tough to figure out exactly where they were and how to trip them.

Once inside you do need to remove screws to access the hard drive and hard drive sled and undo the clips for the ribbon cables.

#33 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,025 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:33 AM

I did post some pictures in another thread doing it on my OWNED HR24.

http://www.dbstalk.c...13&postcount=31

Those photos don't seem to address the mounting screw differences in addition to the clips...the photo angle is a bit tough....but you seem to show the -100.

LIkewise... the drive mounts inside are not alike...like I said...the -500 and -100 models differ... as you likely know...one slight wrong move...and those clips (or case) are toast as well.

I've seen 3 HR24's opened, and the expert doing it looked like he was performing delicate surgery in the process - and he knew what he was doing.

#34 OFFLINE   jgriffin104

jgriffin104

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:13 PM

I've put three 2tb drives in my HR24's. I also have 2 set up with RAID 1 2tb cases.
I use 4 table knives and two thumbs to access the case.
I archive my war movies to the two RAID units. I was tired of losing hard drives and all the contents. I also copied the original hard drives to the new drives including the RAID cases. I used the Gparted cd and the graceful power down on all drives. I did copy the two raid case drives one right after the other. Just as soon as the one showed sucess, I shut the PC down changed drives and rebooted Gparted again and did the second drive.

#35 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 04:22 PM

I opened my owned HR24 just to see how hard it was. I wasn't planning on it when I got it but I got a wild hare looking at it and I thought "I can do it, it doesn't look that hard". It was super easy IMHO. I used common household tools. I actually think it was easier than the older ones because I always had to fight with the cover to get it back on...

EDIT: For the reasons posted above, I will not share my techniques on this one :D
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#36 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,025 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:38 PM

I opened my owned HR24 just to see how hard it was. I wasn't planning on it when I got it but I got a wild hare looking at it and I thought "I can do it, it doesn't look that hard". It was super easy IMHO. I used common household tools. I actually think it was easier than the older ones because I always had to fight with the cover to get it back on...

EDIT: For the reasons posted above, I will not share my techniques on this one :D

In terms of the physical work...yes...in some ways....it is "easier". The challenge is making sure something doesn't get broken along the way, especially if someone is doing this for the first time. Stuart eluded to this some time ago.

It can be done, I've seen a drive swapped our in more than one owned HR24 in less than 15 minutes each. That said....there is absolutely risk in doing it.

#37 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:45 PM

Yeah, mentally it was harder, I didn't want to break something I had just shelled out so little money for...:rolleyes:
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#38 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:57 PM

Yeah, mentally it was harder, I didn't want to break something I had just shelled out so little money for...:rolleyes:

I will say this. It is MUCH easier for DirecTv to identify Hx24s that were broken while being opened up compared to prior models. I'll leave it at that. ;)
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#39 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,475 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:01 AM

I will say this. It is MUCH easier for DirecTv to identify Hx24s that were broken while being opened up compared to prior models. I'll leave it at that. ;)

I don't think Directv cares as I have never heard of anyone being reprimanded or written up as a Violator of the TOS and I'll just Leave it at that!!! :)

It's a Piece Of Cake for anyone with a little Intelligence and Patience to look at what they are doing carefully before they proceed and you do not even need butter knives if you just keep pressure upwards on the case lid so it doesn't come back down into the groove that holds it in place initially. It took less than a minute to take the lid off once I proceeded.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#40 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,025 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:15 AM

Yup.

For most, it's simply not worth the stress and potential headaches. Add on a layer that most folks lease their HR24's and don't own them....and even thinking of doing this leaves a very, very short list of candidates.

Compare that to a plug and play eSata setup...and the choice seems pretty obvious.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...