Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrading the internal hard drive on an HR24

• Please log in to reply
510 replies to this topic

#381 OFFLINE   pennsylvaniaRON

pennsylvaniaRON

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:27 PM

So we've learned that Sata II is the standard used, and 2TB is the cap size for the drive.

Lesson learned.

probably correct on the 2tb size. I'll get that WD 3TB drive tomorrow and finally chiesel it in stone, but lets wait and see:( regards..

\\\\|////
~ÖÖ~
-----oOOo-(_)-oOOo-----
PennsylvaniaRON

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#382 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,798 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:28 PM

probably correct on the 2tb size. I'll get that WD 3TB drive tomorrow and finally chiesel it in stone, but lets wait and see:( regards..

I'll actually be rooting for ya to prove us wrong on the 2TB limit...but then again...I'd bet....
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#383 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:31 PM

Going to say it's not going to work for 2 reasons

1) Limitations of the linux kernal used
2) I believe the drive in question is one of the newer larger sector drives.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#384 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,798 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 04:37 PM

Going to say it's not going to work for 2 reasons

1) Limitations of the linux kernal used
2) I believe the drive in question is one of the newer larger sector drives.

I'd be listening to the expert here...good for me.

#385 OFFLINE   davel

davel

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 11:46 PM

Guys...

I'd prefer this not be a general discussion thread.

Thanks.

So delete the 10+ pages of crap in this thread. Frankly it is useless to read for the 5 posts of truly helpful information.

#386 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,798 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:41 AM

So delete the 10+ pages of crap in this thread. Frankly it is useless to read for the 5 posts of truly helpful information.

Then again...with maybe 1% of people having HR24's as owned devices...this thread is really content for a very limited audience. Since what and how things can be done have been extensively covered, and also even a trial of something new (that didn't work)...there is really not much to add.

Edited by hdtvfan0001, 25 January 2011 - 06:49 AM.

#387 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:15 AM

Don't tempt me.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#388 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 10:56 AM

Don't tempt me.

:bonk1:
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#389 OFFLINE   pennsylvaniaRON

pennsylvaniaRON

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:43 PM

I'll actually be rooting for ya to prove us wrong on the 2TB limit...but then again...I'd bet....

The 3Tb experiment is over. It's now official (and no surprise) that the D* dvr's of today cannot handle hard drives larger than 2TB.

When I installed the WD 3tb drive into an hr24-100 she ran the dvr self check. About 1 minute or so later a BSOD appeared with the error code 14-198. FWIW its a different code than the Hitachi 3tb came up with.

For curiosity sake I ran gparted on the drive and there were no changes made to it. Just **** it when in, it came out. 2.73tb of unallocated space...regards...

\\\\|////
~ÖÖ~
-----oOOo-(_)-oOOo-----
PennsylvaniaRON

#390 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:49 PM

Well, I guess when they say it has a Linux Kernel Limitation of 2 TB that they really meant it.

Now whether they will change that in the future who knows but I am guessing they did it because of the Limitations of the CPU and RAM involved in the older units and didn't want to overwork the CPU with the Burden of 3 or more TB of Recordings.

Just a WAG!!! :)
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#391 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,868 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:04 AM

The 3Tb experiment is over. It's now official (and no surprise) that the D* dvr's of today cannot handle hard drives larger than 2TB.

When I installed the WD 3tb drive into an hr24-100 she ran the dvr self check. About 1 minute or so later a BSOD appeared with the error code 14-198. FWIW its a different code than the Hitachi 3tb came up with.

For curiosity sake I ran gparted on the drive and there were no changes made to it. Just **** it when in, it came out. 2.73tb of unallocated space...regards...

Thanx for trying Ron. Really appreciate the effort.

Rich

#392 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,798 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:41 AM

Thank you for blazing the trail to at least try it...

While the outcome was predicted perhaps...sometimes surprises happen with experimentation (good ones, as well as not so good).

Appreciate your time, reporting, and effort.

#393 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,913 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:43 AM

That some intersting, and telling, stuff pennsylvaniaRON.

Thanks for the work. :)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#394 OFFLINE   pennsylvaniaRON

pennsylvaniaRON

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 10:33 AM

Hey guys. All are welcome! That's what makes this forum so good. We all experiment and that's how we learn!

Well at least I'll get to keep this 3TB drive. Since my disaster of losing all my stuff has been rectified, I've begun the arduous task of moving all the important programming off the dvr and onto the 3TB. Now I'm trimming out the commercials (been experimenting with video editing software) and then burning to blu ray!

Lets see what happens with the next HR model 25? We might have to wait awhile because I don't think D* considers anything larger than a 1tb important. The only saving grace might be that hard drives are not expensive. But from a manufacturers point of view a 3tb today costs $200. Right now that's the entire cost of an HR24 with a 500GB drive. When 3TB come down to the $60 level then you might see the barrier broken. But once they break that barrier I guess by using GPT then the sky's the limit. Regards..

\\\\|////
~ÖÖ~
-----oOOo-(_)-oOOo-----
PennsylvaniaRON

#395 OFFLINE   glen4cindy

glen4cindy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:34 PM

I did an upgrade saving my old recordings, if you just nix the old drive it isn't needed. Clarified my original instructions.

This is exactly what I am looking for. I've been reading through this thread, page by page, looking for these instructions. My current drive is about 55% full, and I want to throw a 2TB drive in there in it's place, but, I was hoping to preserve everything like I did with my Tivo a couple or 3 years ago.

Is this possible? Looks like the person here saved the old recordings. I'd appreciate someone pointing me to where I can find the instructions for doing this.

Thank you.

#396 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:24 PM

This is exactly what I am looking for. I've been reading through this thread, page by page, looking for these instructions. My current drive is about 55% full, and I want to throw a 2TB drive in there in it's place, but, I was hoping to preserve everything like I did with my Tivo a couple or 3 years ago.

Is this possible? Looks like the person here saved the old recordings. I'd appreciate someone pointing me to where I can find the instructions for doing this.

Thank you.

Try again ;) - page#1, post#20, URL is there ...

#397 OFFLINE   pennsylvaniaRON

pennsylvaniaRON

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:17 PM

I think this is what you want??

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=148760

regards,

\\\\|////
~ÖÖ~
-----oOOo-(_)-oOOo-----
PennsylvaniaRON

#398 OFFLINE   newmartinr

newmartinr

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 08:56 PM

Thanks for the info

#399 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,471 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 06:54 AM

Well, now it is Official that 2 TB Kernel Limitation is what it is, a Limitation of the amount of allocated space that the Directv DVR can use as has been noted by a couple of others who tried this experiment.

I also believe that Directv thought that perhaps 3 TBs of Recordings would Overwork the CPU causing it to be horrendously Slow so even if you could do it the result in the end would be a Slow DVR!!! Just my $.02!!! :D

Thanks though for your efforts on everyone's behalf so now we can put this Puppy to bed as it is Tired!!! :lol:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#400 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,798 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:09 AM

Well, now it is Official that 2 TB Kernel Limitation is what it is, a Limitation of the amount of allocated space that the Directv DVR can use as has been noted by a couple of others who tried this experiment.

I also believe that Directv thought that perhaps 3 TBs of Recordings would Overwork the CPU causing it to be horrendously Slow so even if you could do it the result in the end would be a Slow DVR!!! Just my $.02!!! :D

Thanks though for your efforts on everyone's behalf so now we can put this Puppy to bed as it is Tired!!! :lol:

One 2TB drive holds a ton of recordings...those like Rich who have more than 1 HD DVR with 2TB in each realize that to an even greater degree.

The experiment results were interesting...glad they were shared.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...