Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrading the internal hard drive on an HR24

• Please log in to reply
510 replies to this topic

#421 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 17 May 2012 - 05:39 PM

Sorry, can't follow you ... you combined together two DVR two (or more ?) drives, processes ...
What is done ? What is working ? Which DVR ? Which drive ? Where ? ...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#422 OFFLINE   wcjulyan

wcjulyan

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:37 AM

I just replaced the internal drive on an (owned) HR24-200 with a WD20-EURS (AV-GP).

Thanks to the pioneers on here who went before me, I wasn't surprised or defeated by the problems I encountered. Opening the case was not difficult, due to the helpful information on this forum (finding the switches and opening them with strips cut from credit cards was relatively easy).

I was expecting the issues with the -200 drive (thinner vertically than normal HDDs) and its cage. I used oldvanhavenrules' suggestion of plastic zip ties to secure the new hard drive (since the holes don't line up with a normal-sized drive).

The most difficult part for me was removing the two screws that connect the drive cage to the back of the case. I didn't have the proper tool for that.

Anyway, it's working fine, and is not noisy or hot.

#423 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,884 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

I just replaced the internal drive on an (owned) HR24-200 with a WD20-EURS (AV-GP).

Thanks to the pioneers on here who went before me, I wasn't surprised or defeated by the problems I encountered. Opening the case was not difficult, due to the helpful information on this forum (finding the switches and opening them with strips cut from credit cards was relatively easy).

I was expecting the issues with the -200 drive (thinner vertically than normal HDDs) and its cage. I used oldvanhavenrules' suggestion of plastic zip ties to secure the new hard drive (since the holes don't line up with a normal-sized drive).

The most difficult part for me was removing the two screws that connect the drive cage to the back of the case. I didn't have the proper tool for that.

Anyway, it's working fine, and is not noisy or hot.

Huh. I was leery of that method of securing the HDD. Did you use the white (indoor usage and prone to heat related breaking) or the black (outdoor usage and not as prone to heat related problems) wire ties?

Rich

#424 OFFLINE   wcjulyan

wcjulyan

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

Huh. I was leery of that method of securing the HDD. Did you use the white (indoor usage and prone to heat related breaking) or the black (outdoor usage and not as prone to heat related problems) wire ties?

Rich

Uh oh! I hadn't thought about that. By chance (what I had available), I used some of each.

#425 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,884 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

Uh oh! I hadn't thought about that. By chance (what I had available), I used some of each.

Probably doesn't matter unless you bought the ties from an electrical supply house.

Rich

#426 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

Sorry, can't follow you ... you combined together two DVR two (or more ?) drives, processes ...
What is done ? What is working ? Which DVR ? Which drive ? Where ? ...

I put a new drive in the first SATA bay of the computer and the DVRs in the second bay then copied the original from the DVR to the new one. I had formatted the new drive in the DVR but it said unallocated still once put back in the computer and then again after copying the original drive to the new drive, the new drive still showed no partitions and unallocated even after refreshing drives/devices.

But I'm happy with it now.

#427 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

Something wrong with your PC; if DVR working fine with new HDD, then it has partitions.

#428 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:09 PM

Something wrong with your PC; if DVR working fine with new HDD, then it has partitions.

It is working fine in the DVR but was making a lot of clicking noise and I decided to overnight from Amazon a WD20EURS(I got one from after the flood March 2012 :) didn't know they were back in production) because it doesn't have error correcting.

Well the Seagate I found out is gpt and it should be mbr(ms-dos) I believe this is correct? Well the Seagate shows only one partition and its fat32 I'm trying to transfer my 1TB Seagate I put in like 3 days ago to a new 2TB WD.

Can I convert it to mbr without destroying data or somehow getting my stuff over?

#429 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 399 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:15 PM

FYI Disk management is seeing the 3 separate partitions in Windows 7

#430 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

That's close to real: yes, it has MBR-style partition table: 0.5 GB SWAP, EXT3+XFS:10 GB and XFS RT extension for rest of space.

#431 OFFLINE   rlinsurf

rlinsurf

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

Hi--

I'm desperate. I tried to have Weaknees upgrade my HR24 sent ,the unit back, it now freezes every few minutes, and they're refusing to fix it. So it's unusable for the Olympics :(

Anyway, I saw several posts on upgrading it yourself, and please be aware, I do in fact fully own my HR24! I see the images of where the clips are located with the case already open:

http://www.dbstalk.c...713#post2469713

But when I look at the sides, all I see are what look like empty holes? Can someone enlighten me where the side clips are located? This is an HR24-500.

#432 OFFLINE   palmgrower

palmgrower

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

4 corners, shove old credit cards/hotel keys in the 4 corners, you can feel them unlock

2- HR24-500 with AM21n OTA's & RC65RBX Backlit Remotes
1- HR34-700 with AM21n OTA & RC65RBX Backlit Remote
2- Samsung PN59D8000 Plasmas
Winegard YA 1713 Prostar 1000
Televes DAT 75 Deep Fringe UHF
DIRECTV AU9-SL3LNB-SWM16

#433 OFFLINE   palmgrower

palmgrower

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 08:25 PM

T10 Torx to remove drive cage, after you remove the cover

2- HR24-500 with AM21n OTA's & RC65RBX Backlit Remotes
1- HR34-700 with AM21n OTA & RC65RBX Backlit Remote
2- Samsung PN59D8000 Plasmas
Winegard YA 1713 Prostar 1000
Televes DAT 75 Deep Fringe UHF
DIRECTV AU9-SL3LNB-SWM16

#434 OFFLINE   rlinsurf

rlinsurf

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:20 PM

Wow. Thanks, guys. I'll give it a try. I also better ask how to release the top clips? If they are facing away from you, do they push forward or back?

#435 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:27 PM

Need 3 credit cards, slide em in between the clips to hold the clips open, and the top will pop off...at least on my HR24-500 thats how it worked.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#436 OFFLINE   rlinsurf

rlinsurf

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:58 PM

Need 3 credit cards, slide em in between the clips to hold the clips open, and the top will pop off...at least on my HR24-500 thats how it worked.

Ok, now I'm confused. I used 4 credit card at the sides, and did indeed hear a click near the top for each one. Then I saw two clips with releases I could see at the front, and released each one and shoved a credit card in each to prevent re-locking. But you're right, there seem to be 3 larger clips attaching the front to the casing, and I don't see how the credit cards could help. Here's an image of what I've done so far, and the clips in question:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Are these the three you mean? I don't see how to get a credit card in there?

#437 OFFLINE   JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:28 PM

Ok, now I'm confused. I used 4 credit card at the sides, and did indeed hear a click near the top for each one. Then I saw two clips with releases I could see at the front, and released each one and shoved a credit card in each to prevent re-locking. But you're right, there seem to be 3 larger clips attaching the front to the casing, and I don't see how the credit cards could help. Here's an image of what I've done so far, and the clips in question:

Looking at your picture, it looks like you have successfully retracted the four side clips and inserted the cards so the clips stay retracted. On the front, there are only two clearly visible clips. The way I do it, I use a needle-nose pliers to grab one side of the undercarriage, gently lift it with one hand while inserting a screwdriver to loosen the front clip towards the side you are lifting out. Once the undercarriage moves a bit, you don't need to worry about the front clip popping back in place. Keep lifting while you use the screwdriver to loosen the second front clip, and the undercarriage should pop right up and out.

It's hard to describe the actions, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes very simple.

Good luck on the repair. I have upgraded both of my (owned) HR24-500's with 2TB WD20EURS drives. Very quiet, and plenty of space!

#438 OFFLINE   Blurayfan

Blurayfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,748 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:38 PM

The three clips circled don't lock the cover. Your picture shows you successfully unlocked the sides. The front clips are small and hidden in the little squares on the bottom. To unlock these you need a piece of a credit card. The bigger ones won't fit in the squares. Sometimes the clips need two pieces of card inserted together in each to hold the clips open.

Slimlin-5 with SWM16
HR44-700 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 4.0 TB
HR24-500 with AM21 OTA tuner and eSATA 2.0 TB
HR21-700 with DECA adapter for network
Network: Netgear R7000
Internet: Comcast 105/20

#439 OFFLINE   rlinsurf

rlinsurf

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:42 PM

So the two credit cards at the front are also right? If so, I guess I'll try the pliers thing next :)

Thanks.

#440 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:45 PM

Its been a long time since I did mine, but I didnt have to use pliars. I just had the cards where you have them, and the top popped off without any problem. They might have changed the case since I got mine though.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...