Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrading the internal hard drive on an HR24

• Please log in to reply
498 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,065 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:47 AM

Are internal drive changes and external drives all that important now that we have MRV? I have to admit that I tend to delete things right after watching them except for a few kids movies and shows so most things are fairly recent, but I do record entire series before watching them. Before I spent the money I'd probably just but another DVR and then there is more storage and more tuners.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:09 AM

Are internal drive changes and external drives all that important now that we have MRV? I have to admit that I tend to delete things right after watching them except for a few kids movies and shows so most things are fairly recent, but I do record entire series before watching them. Before I spent the money I'd probably just but another DVR and then there is more storage and more tuners.

I think so. For us, anyway. My wife isn't home that much, she works a lot of hours and she travels all over the world for the corporation she works for and we usually end up watching whole series during the summer and into the next season. Without added capacity, we couldn't do this. And you can't beat the added capacity for backing up programs. I've just found another eSATA that is probably shot and I've got all the programs on it backed up on other HRs.

I keep buying owned HRs and putting large internals in them because that method seems to work a whole lot better than eSATAs.

Rich

Edited by Rich, 26 July 2010 - 08:10 AM.
Duplication

#43 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:58 AM

I Own my DVRs so the First Thing I do when I acquire one is to put a 2 TB Hard Drive in it and be done with it. I didn't find anything that would break unless you force it open by not looking at what you are doing and seeing how it works to hold the lid on.

Very Easy and Very Nice to have a 2 TB Drive sitting in it doing it's thing.

Just Love having the storage and if Directv gave us sufficient storage then we wouldn't have to open up the box and do it ourselves.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#44 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,915 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:28 AM

I don't think Directv cares as I have never heard of anyone being reprimanded or written up as a Violator of the TOS and I'll just Leave it at that!!! :)

It's a Piece Of Cake for anyone with a little Intelligence and Patience to look at what they are doing carefully before they proceed and you do not even need butter knives if you just keep pressure upwards on the case lid so it doesn't come back down into the groove that holds it in place initially. It took less than a minute to take the lid off once I proceeded.

I thought someone who's very good with HRs swapped drives for you?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#45 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:50 AM

Perhaps he uses someone such as the the very good electrician that does my electrical work.

Rich

#46 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:14 PM

Well, he did the First One and I aided him but then I did the rest of them after seeing how Simple an Operation it turned out to be!!! :)
Here's My Setup

#47 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:25 PM

if Directv gave us sufficient storage then we wouldn't have to open up the box and do it ourselves.

+20 million
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#48 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,669 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:47 PM

.....if Directv gave us sufficient storage then we wouldn't have to open up the box and do it ourselves.

Of course that word "sufficient" is in the eyes of the beholder... ;):lol:

More important...if there was a viable way to archive content folks want to offload and store....then real-time drives would require less capacity.

To me....archiving content is the biggest gap in all DVRs today.I understand all of the security and copy protection arguments, but those can be addressed with a household only code where the content can be restricted - as oppossed to how it all works today.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#49 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:24 PM

Of course that word "sufficient" is in the eyes of the beholder... ;):lol:

More important...if there was a viable way to archive content folks want to offload and store....then real-time drives would require less capacity.

To me....archiving content is the biggest gap in all DVRs today.I understand all of the security and copy protection arguments, but those can be addressed with a household only code where the content can be restricted - as oppossed to how it all works today.

NetFlix=Archiving.

Rich

#50 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,065 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:38 PM

I think so. For us, anyway. My wife isn't home that much, she works a lot of hours and she travels all over the world for the corporation she works for and we usually end up watching whole series during the summer and into the next season. Without added capacity, we couldn't do this. And you can't beat the added capacity for backing up programs. I've just found another eSATA that is probably shot and I've got all the programs on it backed up on other HRs.

I keep buying owned HRs and putting large internals in them because that method seems to work a whole lot better than eSATAs.

Rich

Ok that makes sense. I guess my life is much simpler than a lot of other folks, I really only need to go away for long periods of time for pleasure. Maybe a case of tunnel vision. :)

For the backup issue, more often than not I am around when a recording is being made, so if I were to miss it due to bad weather, I know to look for it in other places.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#51 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:44 AM

I'm taking a WD15EADS out of my desktop, as it's too big for what I need, and putting to better use and installing it in my owned HR24-100. Can I put it in as is? or do i need to erase everything on it & reformat it? If I reformat it, is it just plain Fat 32 and anything else sector wise? Or just do nothing and plop it into the HR24 & it will format it for me? Thanks.
HR34-700(leased)
HR24-100 x 2(1 leased, 1 owned)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#52 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,669 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:47 AM

NetFlix=Archiving.

Rich

Not even close.

I'm taking a WD15EADS out of my desktop, as it's too big for what I need, and putting to better use and installing it in my owned HR24-100. Can I put it in as is? or do i need to erase everything on it & reformat it? If I reformat it, is it just plain Fat 32 and anything else sector wise? Or just do nothing and plop it into the HR24 & it will format it for me? Thanks.

It will reformat upon bootup of the HR24.

#53 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,468 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:49 AM

It will Automatically Reformat upon Booting Up the HR24.
Here's My Setup

#54 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,764 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 14 August 2010 - 12:34 PM

Just do nothing - it will format it as EXT3 with XFS without any problem.

#55 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:44 PM

i got the case off & laid my WD15EADS on top of existing drive, carefully placing it on not to short anything out. And it synced up no problem. Now to remove existing drive, do i simply take out the 2 phillips head screws & out pops current drive? or do i need to get my neighbor's torq screwdriver & remove the 4 or 5 screws and then proceed to pull out drive enclosure and then swap out drives? if it's the latter, what size torq screwdriver do i need?
HR34-700(leased)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#56 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,669 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 03:48 PM

i got the case off & laid my WD15EADS on top of existing drive, carefully placing it on not to short anything out. And it synced up no problem. Now to remove existing drive, do i simply take out the 2 phillips head screws & out pops current drive? or do i need to get my neighbor's torq screwdriver & remove the 4 or 5 screws and then proceed to pull out drive enclosure and then swap out drives? if it's the latter, what size torq screwdriver do i need?

The answer to that questoin varies depending on which HR24 model you are talking about...the -100, the -200, or the -500. The drives are mounted differently in each of those units, as seen in the First Look, Second Look, and Third Look articles with photos on the HR24 series.

#57 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:18 PM

all done thanks for the help.
HR34-700(leased)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#58 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,669 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

Mine was an HR24-500. There was no screw removal required nor mounting screws for taking the cover off. Once you figured out the clip system and how to trip them it was very easy to take the cover off. However without pictures the first time, just a verbal description, it was tough to figure out exactly where they were and how to trip them.

Once inside you do need to remove screws to access the hard drive and hard drive sled and undo the clips for the ribbon cables.

CORRECTED POST: Only the HR24-100 had 2 screws holding on the case underneath. The 4 HR24-500 I saw units had none.

Edited by hdtvfan0001, 15 August 2010 - 09:57 AM.

#59 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 11:13 PM

Interesting...the other 4 HR24-500 units I saw firsthand all had 2 screws holding on the case underneath. The -100 units had none.

None on mine. Just needed to trip the clips to get the cover off my HR24-500

#60 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,669 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 05:19 AM

None on mine. Just needed to trip the clips to get the cover off my HR24-500

OK....

spam firewall