Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrading the internal hard drive on an HR24

• Please log in to reply
510 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:43 AM

Interesting...the other 4 HR24-500 units I saw firsthand all had 2 screws holding on the case underneath. The -100 units had none.

I don't remember having to Unscrew any screws either. Just had to pop the Retainer Clips and keep pressure upwards so the Clips wouldn't Reseat in the groove that held them.

Can't Imagine this Process taking over an hour as was reported by one member of this Forum. :lol:

Edited by Richierich, 15 August 2010 - 11:28 AM.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 07:48 AM

It doesn't take even 5 minutes to open it once you understand the idea of how it clips shut. :) I still say it is easier than an older ones because the cover just snaps back in place with no fighting. :P
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#63 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,083 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 09:58 AM

It doesn't take even 5 minutes to open it once you understand the idea of how it clips shut. :) I still say it is easier than an older ones because the cover just snaps back in place with no fighting. :P

Agreed...the HDD swap time depends on which HR24 model...they are all mounted differently....but perhaps only 10 more minutes to do it correctly.

I don't remember having to Unscrew any screws either. Just had to pop the Retainer Clips and keep pressure upwards so it the Clips wouldn't Reseat in the groove that held them.

Yup...you're right...got them backwards. Now that I've seen all 3 HR24's close up...

The -100 has 2 bottom screws, the -500 has none. All share the same basic case and clip mounts. If one knows just how to carefully address the clips...its a 15 minute job to swap out the drive, if not....there's the risk of damaging the case on the way to the HDD swap, and the care needed for those small wires and connectors. Again - since very few folks have owned units - it is not advised whatsoever on leased units.

Corrected the original post with the reverse listed.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#64 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 11:39 AM

Agreed...the HDD swap time depends on which HR24 model...they are all mounted differently....but perhaps only 10 more minutes to do it correctly.

Yup...you're right...got them backwards. Now that I've seen all 3 HR24's close up...

The -100 has 2 bottom screws, the -500 has none. All share the same basic case and clip mounts. If one knows just how to carefully address the clips...its a 15 minute job to swap out the drive, if not....there's the risk of damaging the case on the way to the HDD swap, and the care needed for those small wires and connectors. Again - since very few folks have owned units - it is not advised whatsoever on leased units.

Corrected the original post with the reverse listed.

OK....

#65 OFFLINE   rlinsurf

rlinsurf

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:13 PM

Can someone post a video of the upgrade procedure, or maybe just a step by step with pictures? I'm considering whether to take this on myself or not.

#66 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:17 PM

Can someone post a video of the upgrade procedure, or maybe just a step by step with pictures? I'm considering whether to take this on myself or not.

Sorry but that ain't gonna happen because the Powers That Be will Not Allow it. But it is very easy and if you do a Search you will find the instructions as I have posted them many many times.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#67 OFFLINE   CBMC

CBMC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:11 AM

I have a HR24-200 and went ahead and did the upgrade. Problem is that the Seagate Pipeline hd.2 drive in the HR24-200 is smaller than a standard 3.5 sata drive. (thinner) If you look at the pictures (HR Series Third Look thread), you will see the hd cage. The screw holes in the hard drive are obviously in the same location as a standard 3.5 drive, but the problem comes in with the depth. The drive is too deep to allow it to line up with the cage holes. If you turn the drive upside down you can get it to line up, but then the drive sticks out to much and hits the main board. The only way to get the drive to fit, at least that I could figure, is to drill a couple of holes in the cage(either under, for bottom drive mounting holes, or on the side (above holes that are already there) for side mounting hd holes). What I did was drill out holes right above the side cage mounting holes (used 2 of the for screws). There was just enough room above the mounting holes to allow for the depth. Not hard, nor really dangerous, since if you mess up the screw holes there is a pretty good chance that you can still get the hard drive mounted onto the bracket somehow. I couldn't find any info on anyone updating the HR24-200 and was wondering if anyone else has come across this problem? What was your solution?

Just giving anyone who was thinking about doing this the heads up.

#68 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:57 AM

One way to avoid that Seagate problem is to use quality parts, like Western Digital.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#69 OFFLINE   CBMC

CBMC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:34 AM

One way to avoid that Seagate problem is to use quality parts, like Western Digital.

I am not sure if you were talking to me or someone else? If me, then I am not sure what you mean? I replaced the seagate that was in my HR24-200 with a Western Digital. The drive was not just swappable. I had to make a mod to the cage in HR24 to allow the larger WD drive to fit in the spot were the Seagate Pipeline originally was. The HR24-200 hd cage seems to only accommodate the smaller footprint of the Seagate Pipeline drive. (or similar sized drives) Anyone else notice this? Assuming by the threads in this post neither the HR24-100, nor the HR24-500 have the same problem.

Edited by CBMC, 23 September 2010 - 07:57 AM.

#70 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,083 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:16 AM

To reiterate several key points on this topic:

As always....leased units should not be touched/opened for internal component changes...as it voids the warranty and folks could very well be charged hundreds of dollars for that violation.

This is not as simple a task as some would make it appear, but also not overwhelming or near-impossible either. It requires some knowledge, care, and the correct tools.

That said - its important to note that the multiple models of the HR series (HR24-100, -200-, and -500 actually may contain different manufacturer hard drives within them. Seagate and WD have both been seen in the field.

Not all HDD replacement is "plug and play", as some have already stated through their experiences where potential replacement drives simply were not physically sized the same.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#71 OFFLINE   CBMC

CBMC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:27 AM

To reiterate several key points on this topic:

As always....leased units should not be touched/opened for internal component changes...as it voids the warranty and folks could very well be charged hundreds of dollars for that violation.

This is not as simple a task as some would make it appear, but also not overwhelming or near-impossible either. It requires some knowledge, care, and the correct tools.

That said - its important to note that the multiple models of the HR series (HR24-100, -200-, and -500 actually may contain different manufacturer hard drives within them. Seagate and WD have both been seen in the field.

Not all HDD replacement is "plug and play", as some have already stated through their experiences where potential replacement drives simply were not physically sized the same.

Yeah, and that was what I was pointing out. Getting the unit apart was really pretty easy. You don't have to force, and I would suggest using some old credit card to release the clips. But once I got it open and took the drive out of the cage I sat there for an hour trying to figure out a way to arrange the drive to fit. Finally, the only option left was to modify the cage (basically add holes). Like I said, I am just pointing this out for owners of the HR24-200, because from what I was reading on the HR24's, the HR24 would fit a regular 3.5 drive. Once I opened the box and saw the drive was smaller I searched around for about 20 minutes and could find no information on the drive being smaller.(might very well be out there, I just couldn't find it)

So to the HR24-200 owners, if you don't have a low profile drive replacement, be prepared to drill some holes in the hd cage.

#72 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,392 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:25 AM

Yeah, and that was what I was pointing out. Getting the unit apart was really pretty easy. You don't have to force, and I would suggest using some old credit card to release the clips. But once I got it open and took the drive out of the cage I sat there for an hour trying to figure out a way to arrange the drive to fit. Finally, the only option left was to modify the cage (basically add holes). Like I said, I am just pointing this out for owners of the HR24-200, because from what I was reading on the HR24's, the HR24 would fit a regular 3.5 drive. Once I opened the box and saw the drive was smaller I searched around for about 20 minutes and could find no information on the drive being smaller.(might very well be out there, I just couldn't find it)

So to the HR24-200 owners, if you don't have a low profile drive replacement, be prepared to drill some holes in the hd cage.

Makes me wonder how the specs for ALL the 24s that were sent to the manufacturers could possibly be the same. Send the identical specs to a bunch of manufacturers and you should get identical devices or items. This is like Budweiser sending out identical specs to different glass manufacturers (which they do) and getting back different bottles. That would be cause for Bud to immediately drop the glass house as a supplier.

Be nice for someone with knowledge of the specs sent out to comment on this.

Rich

#73 OFFLINE   rlinsurf

rlinsurf

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 01:49 PM

Yeah, and that was what I was pointing out. Getting the unit apart was really pretty easy. You don't have to force, and I would suggest using some old credit card to release the clips.

Ok, this is what I did. With two clips facing away from me, I pulled back on the first clip pulling it towards me (away from the forward panel. I then placed a butter knife between the clip and the front panel frame. I then repeated this with the second, so both clips are now loose from the assembly. I tried lifting up anywhere that I could get a screwdriver in place, but nothing budged. In fact it looked like I was about to bend the metal. I checked, and both clips were still free. What am I doing wrong?

BTW, I guess I am missing something. Where would you put a credit card?

#74 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,392 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:53 PM

I am not sure if you were talking to me or someone else? If me, then I am not sure what you mean? I replaced the seagate that was in my HR24-200 with a Western Digital. The drive was not just swappable. I had to make a mod to the cage in HR24 to allow the larger WD drive to fit in the spot were the Seagate Pipeline originally was. The HR24-200 hd cage seems to only accommodate the smaller footprint of the Seagate Pipeline drive. (or similar sized drives) Anyone else notice this? Assuming by the threads in this post neither the HR24-100, nor the HR24-500 have the same problem.

The Seagate and WD have identical locations for the mounting screws. If you got a Seagate out, the WD should have just gone right in. Do you still have the Seagate? Would you post the model number, please? I've got an owned 24-200 and I'm sure the time will come that I want to stick it's 2TB EVDS in it. Now it's in a docking station. I'm really curious about what you found.

Rich

#75 OFFLINE   CBMC

CBMC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:01 PM

The Seagate and WD have identical locations \]for the mounting screws. If you got a Seagate out, the WD should have just gone right in. Do you still have the Seagate? Would you post the model number, please? I've got an owned 24-200 and I'm sure the time will come that I want to stick it's 2TB EVDS in it. Now it's in a docking station. I'm really curious about what you found.

Rich

You are correct, they both have the same mounting holes but there width is different. The Seagate is thinner drive. The hd cage inside the HR24-200 is thin, so while the thinner seagate drive drops all the way down in the cage (allowing screws to line up), a normal drive doesn't go far enough down in the cage to allow the screws to line up. I tried to turn the drive upside down so that the holes would line up, but then the drive was sticking to far out of the cage, thus hitting the main board. I didn't take any pictures and it is kind of hard to describe what I am talking about. If you look at the thread here, look at the picture with the mainboard and drive cage, you can see that if the drive is too thick it will hit against the top of the cage not allowing the mounting screws to line up. That being said, I was able to drill out holes below the previous holes on the mounting cage (there was barely enough room to do this, and I mean barely), thus allowing the hard drive to fit in the cage and screw in. The other option might have been to use the top screws on the hard drive and drill holes through the top of the cage (around where the acoustic foam is on the 24-200).

The Seagate model in the HR24-200 was a Pipeline hd.2 500 GB drive. The model I replaced it with was a WD15EADS. (1.5TB)

Ok, this is what I did. With two clips facing away from me, I pulled back on the first clip pulling it towards me (away from the forward panel. I then placed a butter knife between the clip and the front panel frame. I then repeated this with the second, so both clips are now loose from the assembly. I tried lifting up anywhere that I could get a screwdriver in place, but nothing budged. In fact it looked like I was about to bend the metal. I checked, and both clips were still free. What am I doing wrong?

I used the credit cards to push in the side latches. Just pulled apart the sides enough to get a credit card in then shoved a credit card down where the latches where. The credit card was used for the side latches. For the front latches I used a small flat head and pushed them back. The front latches you can see clearly through the bottom grate, the side ones are harder to see, but shoving a credit card down there a. seemed to push the latches back, and b. reduced the chances of scratching like a butter knife could.

Edited by CBMC, 24 September 2010 - 04:08 PM.

#76 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:14 PM

CBMC,
Perhaps using a word "tall" instead of "width" will help better.

Also pictures or drawings could cut the ambiguity.

#77 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:48 PM

I wonder if fire and brimstone would rein down from D* is someone posted a youtube video on how to open an HR24?
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#78 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:20 PM

For sure URL to it wouldn't work here. ;)

#79 OFFLINE   CBMC

CBMC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:12 PM

CBMC,
Perhaps using a word "tall" instead of "width" will help better.

Also pictures or drawings could cut the ambiguity.

I would have taken pictures, but forgot. But like I said, if you look at the picture of the box open that is online and figure that the drive fits pretty tight in the cage (which it does) you can understand what I mean by the height not working (screw holes lining up). I can't draw, but I will give you an example. Take a long stick put it in a 2 liter bottle, put a mark right where the stick exits the mouth of the bottle, now take the stick and put it in the can (in the same direction) and try to get the mark to line up with the top of the can. You can't because the can is shorter and the stick is hitting the bottom. If I am still not clear, then let me know. Not trying to be ambiguous, just trying to explain through words. (If not very clearly :) )

Edited by CBMC, 24 September 2010 - 08:21 PM.

#80 OFFLINE   adam1115

adam1115

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:43 PM

I don't get what the objection is to posting pictures of how to open a piece of equipment you own.... Weird.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...