Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrading the internal hard drive on an HR24

• Please log in to reply
497 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:26 AM

I don't get what the objection is to posting pictures of how to open a piece of equipment you own.... Weird.

Because maybe 1 out of 1000 of them are owned and the rest are property of D*.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:41 AM

You are correct, they both have the same mounting holes but there width is different. The Seagate is thinner drive. The hd cage inside the HR24-200 is thin, so while the thinner seagate drive drops all the way down in the cage (allowing screws to line up), a normal drive doesn't go far enough down in the cage to allow the screws to line up. I tried to turn the drive upside down so that the holes would line up, but then the drive was sticking to far out of the cage, thus hitting the main board. I didn't take any pictures and it is kind of hard to describe what I am talking about. If you look at the thread here, look at the picture with the mainboard and drive cage, you can see that if the drive is too thick it will hit against the top of the cage not allowing the mounting screws to line up. That being said, I was able to drill out holes below the previous holes on the mounting cage (there was barely enough room to do this, and I mean barely), thus allowing the hard drive to fit in the cage and screw in. The other option might have been to use the top screws on the hard drive and drill holes through the top of the cage (around where the acoustic foam is on the 24-200).

The Seagate model in the HR24-200 was a Pipeline hd.2 500 GB drive. The model I replaced it with was a WD15EADS. (1.5TB)

I used the credit cards to push in the side latches. Just pulled apart the sides enough to get a credit card in then shoved a credit card down where the latches where. The credit card was used for the side latches. For the front latches I used a small flat head and pushed them back. The front latches you can see clearly through the bottom grate, the side ones are harder to see, but shoving a credit card down there a. seemed to push the latches back, and b. reduced the chances of scratching like a butter knife could.

The thin-ness of the drive doesnt matter mine came with a stock thin seagate HD pipeline2. I replaced it with a standard size samsung 2TB and my HR24 had two screws to mount the drive, however since it had the thinner drive it also had a sponge in the HD casing to prevent shock movement, simply removed the sponge inserted the new drive (standard size) screwed in the screws put the case back on and was a done deal.

#83 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,374 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:20 AM

The thin-ness of the drive doesnt matter mine came with a stock thin seagate HD pipeline2. I replaced it with a standard size samsung 2TB and my HR24 had two screws to mount the drive, however since it had the thinner drive it also had a sponge in the HD casing to prevent shock movement, simply removed the sponge inserted the new drive (standard size) screwed in the screws put the case back on and was a done deal.

Was it a 24-200?

Rich

#84 OFFLINE   rlinsurf

rlinsurf

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:10 AM

Where are the side latches? Can you PM me a picture?

#85 OFFLINE   anleva

anleva

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:09 AM

Here are the pictures I took of the location of the clips for an HR24-500. All 6 circled in red. For the side clips you use something thin to trip the clips from the bottom. For the two clips on the bottom (near the front) you can trip them with a flathead screwdriver. Do that and the case comes off fairly easily. Not sure if this is the same for other types of HR24's.

http://www.dbstalk.c...13&postcount=31

#86 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,529 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:41 AM

Yup.

No own...no tamper.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#87 OFFLINE   adam1115

adam1115

Godfather

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:28 AM

What's wrong with talking about something that may interest 1 out of 1,000 people?

#88 OFFLINE   CBMC

CBMC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:42 AM

First off, my HR24-200 had 4 screws to mount the drive (plus 2 torx and 1 phillips to mount the cage to the box). Even without the acoustic foam the drive holes would not mount up, it just physically wouldn't line up. You can see in the picture (third look thread) that there is a open square hole on the top of the drive cage. The foam comes through that opening. Unfortunately, the opening is not big enough for the whole drive, therefore, the drives hits the metal around the hole. You can only put the drive so far down before it hits the metal cage around the foam. With the pipeline it lines up fine, with a WD15EADS it doesn't. I am close to pulling the box back out of the entertainment rack, taking it apart, and posting some pictures. Anyone else with an HR24-200 try this yet?

#89 OFFLINE   rlinsurf

rlinsurf

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:37 AM

Here are the pictures I took of the location of the clips for an HR24-500. All 6 circled in red. For the side clips you use something thin to trip the clips from the bottom. For the two clips on the bottom (near the front) you can trip them with a flathead screwdriver. Do that and the case comes off fairly easily. Not sure if this is the same for other types of HR24's.

http://www.dbstalk.c...13&postcount=31

Yes, thank you. I looked at the pictures, but I don't see where the side clips are when the case is still closed. Anyway, I've slid a credit card in every place on the side I can, and i don't feel anything releasing. Could possible circle where the credit card should be used on the image with the case still closed?

#90 OFFLINE   CBMC

CBMC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:56 AM

Yes, thank you. I looked at the pictures, but I don't see where the side clips are when the case is still closed. Anyway, I've slid a credit card in every place on the side I can, and i don't feel anything releasing. Could possible circle where the credit card should be used on the image with the case still closed?

Those locations (in that picture) are the locations that I would slide the credit cards in. Slide them in between the side plastic and the side metal. Use several credit cards. Push them in between the case at those locations, then push back the two front clips with a flathead, carefully pull up on the plastic top at the clip locations. You want to keep the credit card down the side so the clips don't reattach. It should open.

#91 OFFLINE   rlinsurf

rlinsurf

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:39 PM

Maybe I'm just stupid, but I can't even fit one credit card in the side anywhere. Please, if you can pm me the exact location circled in red?

#92 OFFLINE   CBMC

CBMC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:50 PM

Maybe I'm just stupid, but I can't even fit one credit card in the side anywhere. Please, if you can pm me the exact location circled in red?

Pull the side apart (enough to fit card) at the bottom with your finger, then slide credit cards in at those spots. The clips are more like latches, if you push in a credit card then just pull it right out the latch will snap right back into place. I used the credit cards to push the latch back while I lifted the plastic cover.

Edited by CBMC, 25 September 2010 - 01:11 PM.

#93 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,374 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:12 PM

First off, my HR24-200 had 4 screws to mount the drive (plus 2 torx and 1 phillips to mount the cage to the box). Even without the acoustic foam the drive holes would not mount up, it just physically wouldn't line up. You can see in the picture (third look thread) that there is a open square hole on the top of the drive cage. The foam comes through that opening. Unfortunately, the opening is not big enough for the whole drive, therefore, the drives hits the metal around the hole. You can only put the drive so far down before it hits the metal cage around the foam. With the pipeline it lines up fine, with a WD15EADS it doesn't. I am close to pulling the box back out of the entertainment rack, taking it apart, and posting some pictures. Anyone else with an HR24-200 try this yet?

I own one and you've got me interested now. I might give it a try with the 2TB WD EVDS I've got on it externally. Hate to go thru all the trouble if I have to modify the sled, but it sounds like something I could get into. I'll probably wait a while and see if anyone else answers that they've tried it and run into the same obstacles. I'm almost terminally lazy and I don't want to spend a lot of useless time with it. Don't think I doubt you. I don't and that alone is enough to turn me off.

Rich

#94 OFFLINE   CBMC

CBMC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:38 PM

I own one and you've got me interested now. I might give it a try with the 2TB WD EVDS I've got on it externally. Hate to go thru all the trouble if I have to modify the sled, but it sounds like something I could get into. I'll probably wait a while and see if anyone else answers that they've tried it and run into the same obstacles. I'm almost terminally lazy and I don't want to spend a lot of useless time with it. Don't think I doubt you. I don't and that alone is enough to turn me off.

Rich

Come on, doubt me. Hell, with all the responses I am starting to doubt myself. :lol: It only takes about 10 minutes to open one of these up. If you do, could you take a couple of pics.

#95 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,345 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:51 PM

Provoking him :) ...

#96 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,374 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 September 2010 - 08:23 AM

Come on, doubt me. Hell, with all the responses I am starting to doubt myself. :lol: It only takes about 10 minutes to open one of these up. If you do, could you take a couple of pics.

Oh, I hate to admit it, but my wife got a really expensive camera a year or so ago and I have no idea how to use it, or find it, for that matter. I've gotta get her to show me where she keeps the thing, how to use it and how to hook it up to my computer. Told you I was lazy, I wasn't kidding. :)

Maybe I'll do the 200 today. Maybe. :lol:

Rich

#97 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,374 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:13 AM

OK, I did it. Opened the box, piece of cake. Took out the internal, piece of cake. No way to put the WD EVDS 2TB drive in without drilling four holes in the sled. Didn't see any reason to go thru all that, replaced the original HDD in it and hooked up the docking station again.

You are ABSOLUTELY correct! You cannot put a thicker HDD in that sled without modifying the sled. No need to doubt yourself, you're dead on!

Rich

#98 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,829 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:35 AM

No own...no tamper.

Specifically (bolding mine):

You shall have no right to sell, give away, transfer, pledge, mortgage, remove, relocate, alter or tamper with the DIRECTV equipment at any time.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#99 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,374 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:54 AM

Specifically (bolding mine):

I own the 24-200. You are referencing leased receivers. I checked with the Protection Plan and the Case Management Group about putting large internals in the HRs and was told that since I own them, I can do what I want to with them. They do not belong to D*.

Rich

#100 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,374 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 September 2010 - 10:55 AM

I checked the Seagate site and was surprised to see that the Pipeline series of HDDs is made for DVRs. But they only go up to 1TB at this time. Give it some time and they'll probably go up to 2TB HDDs.

Rich

spam firewall