Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrading the internal hard drive on an HR24

• Please log in to reply
510 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 12:40 PM

What I can't understand is why everyone is SO CONCERNED about someone else opening their equipment despite whether it is owned or leased. Every time someone discusses it (usually the same) people jump out of the woodwork repeating the same warnings over and over again ad nauseum every other message in the same thread. If someone opens their box whether leased or owned it has no effect on me or anyone else. I think we are all old enough here to take responsibility for what we do to our "stuff." So if someone asks for help either don't respond if the guilt is so overwhelming to you or help them. The constant warnings and quoting of TOS over and over is a bit silly.

There are no "laws" against it. You can't go to jail and never once in the 5 or so years I have been reading these forums has ANYONE announced DirecTV has charged them $$$ for "tampering or altering" their equipment. I can say I once blew up a TiVo HR10 (don't ask) and DirecTV had no problem replacing it under the PP and if they weren't able to determine I destroyed that one then everyone is safe forever.

There is no way that DirecTV would force YouTube to take down a video showing how to open a DirecTV receiver. That's just absurd.

Let's all show this same concern over not letting our friends drink then drive or not text while driving. Doing Those things can have a direct effect on other people. Opening a leased DirecTV box cannot.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:04 PM

What I can't understand is why everyone is SO CONCERNED about someone else opening their equipment despite whether it is owned or leased.
<snip>

Because it’s a violation of the lease addendum. This forum does not condone such things and would like to make sure the person asking the question is aware. IMHO, the only reason it’s allowed at all is because of the owned receivers. If they were all leased then discussions about changing hardware inside the receiver would not be allowed...I think. :grin:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#103 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:44 PM

Because it’s a violation of the lease addendum. This forum does not condone such things and would like to make sure the person asking the question is aware. IMHO, the only reason it’s allowed at all is because of the owned receivers. If they were all leased then discussions about changing hardware inside the receiver would not be allowed...I think. :grin:

Mike

Do these same people send emails detailing the TOS to "certain" websites that openly modify leased equipment? And have openly modified leased equipment since the leasing program went into effect. I do think that an occasional reminder is warranted, but here we are discussing the same old thing again. And from a Dish customer? C'mon. How many times do I have to state that I bought 6 HRs just so I could modify them with larger internals? I bought them, I own them and I could take all six of them out and smash them with my trusty sledgehammer to bits and D* wouldn't do a thing about it. You could put that on You Tube and what could they do?

Rich

#104 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,057 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:47 PM

Here we're going again ... same circle ... ad nauseum. It will never change.

[Mike, you are in tight loop. :) We read that sentences many times already.]

#105 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:51 PM

Do these same people send emails detailing the TOS to "certain" websites that openly modify leased equipment? And have openly modified leased equipment since the leasing program went into effect. I do think that an occasional reminder is warranted, but here we are discussing the same old thing again. And from a Dish customer? C'mon. How many times do I have to state that I bought 6 HRs just so I could modify them with larger internals? I bought them, I own them and I could take all six of them out and smash them with my trusty sledgehammer to bits and D* wouldn't do a thing about it. You could put that on You Tube and what could they do?

Rich

I can tell you what they wouldn't and shouldn't do. Replace them under the protection plan. Afterall, you did modify them with your sledge. :P
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#106 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:34 PM

Mike

It's not you're problem if it's a violation of the TOS (I'm not referring to "you" specifically, just all the "you's.") You're not "the forum." That's my point. If the mods want to say something they will. Is it really necessary for 4 or 5 people to repeat the same thing over and over again in the same thread? It's like everyone is trying to get "goodboy" points.

#107 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 02:37 PM

I can tell you what they wouldn't and shouldn't do. Replace them under the protection plan. Afterall, you did modify them with your sledge. :P

Maybe they SHOULDN'T but they do. If "they" don't care why should you?

#108 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:00 PM

Rich

It's not always clear if someone owns their receivers. Heck, someone who doesn't know you might mention it in response to your post. The fact is, just as hacking discussion isn’t allowed, neither is modifying leased receivers. It is what it is. :shrug:

Here we're going again ... same circle ... ad nauseum. It will never change.

[Mike, you are in tight loop. :) We read that sentences many times already.]

Hey, he asked why it’s mentioned...I’m just sayin’ :grin:

A tight loop? What sentences? :scratchin

It's not you're problem if it's a violation of the TOS (I'm not referring to "you" specifically, just all the "you's.") You're not "the forum." That's my point. If the mods want to say something they will. Is it really necessary for 4 or 5 people to repeat the same thing over and over again in the same thread? It's like everyone is trying to get "goodboy" points.

Yes I am the forum. So are you. Now I’m not sayin’ everyone should moderate because that would be wrong. However, that doesn’t mean a member can’t toss a back to topic smiley or point out something to someone else. If someone oversteps into Mod territory I’m pretty sure the Mods will let them know. ;)

How about this? A fairly new member reads a thread about opening up a receiver and thinks he can go ahead do the same. Now if there is a warning post (you’re right there doesn’t need to half a dozen in a row) then that new member will then know.

I understand how tedious it is to read such posts, and I agree that it’s way over done, but it does have its place. Personally I believe it’s an important point that shouldn’t be lost on newer members who may have missed previous threads. I for one try not to post about this particular point if it’s already been done in that thread. I will if no one else had already done so. If you don’t like it, skip over those posts...I try to. :grin:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#109 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,057 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:06 PM

A tight loop? What sentences?
- not sentences exactly, with the idea to catch an attention of everyone who're talking about of opening a box.

#110 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,953 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:21 PM

A tight loop? What sentences?
- not sentences exactly, with the idea to catch an attention of everyone who're talking about of opening a box.

Still gon't get your meaning but that's ok. :D

Mike

µß

#111 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 03:22 PM

Because it has the potential to drive up the costs for you, me and everyone else.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me

#112 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,408 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 September 2010 - 04:29 PM

I own the 24-200. You are referencing leased receivers.

Understood and yes. I was following up on hdtvfan0001's post that, as is all to common in these forums, stopped short of quoting the much talked about (but strikingly unfamiliar) "TOS".

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#113 OFFLINE   am7crew

am7crew

Legend

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:15 PM

Was it a 24-200?

Rich

yes, it has a black plastic box for the hard drive case (not metal) with screws which hold the drive in place.

#114 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:13 PM

Because it has the potential to drive up the costs for you, me and everyone else.

Horse poop. They have thousands of receivers sitting in piles like scrap. All they do is send out one of those. They are depreciated to $1. That's the main purpose of their lease program, to reuse receivers until they are trash then throw them away.

Edit: Of the millions of DirecTV customers what percentage MIGHT even attempt to open their box .... maybe 1/4 of 1%. How many of those will kill their receivers? How much are those infinitesimal few going to "drive up costs for you, me and everyone else." I really wouldn't lose any sleep over what a few people might do. I'd let DirecTV worry about it. Quite obviously they don't. Can you find a post here going back 5 years of someone who was charged for either opening a box or damaging one while doing so?

Edited by TBlazer07, 26 September 2010 - 07:22 PM.

#115 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:58 PM

Horse poop. They have thousands of receivers sitting in piles like scrap. All they do is send out one of those. They are depreciated to $1. That's the main purpose of their lease program, to reuse receivers until they are trash then throw them away.

Edit: Of the millions of DirecTV customers what percentage MIGHT even attempt to open their box .... maybe 1/4 of 1%. How many of those will kill their receivers? How much are those infinitesimal few going to "drive up costs for you, me and everyone else." I really wouldn't lose any sleep over what a few people might do. I'd let DirecTV worry about it. Quite obviously they don't. Can you find a post here going back 5 years of someone who was charged for either opening a box or damaging one while doing so?

If a tree falls in a forest and no one around to hear it, does it still make a sound?

The lack of posts does not mean it has not or will not happen.

Push comes to shove, perhaps they should just modify the firmware to only recognize specific models. I'd hate to see that, but maybe thats a route they should explore.

#116 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,084 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:23 AM

If a tree falls in a forest and no one around to hear it, does it still make a sound?

Push comes to shove, perhaps they should just modify the firmware to only recognize specific models. I'd hate to see that, but maybe thats a route they should explore.

Unlikely...I have seen at least 4 different internal HDD models from 2 different manufacturers in the HR24's already...would be more trouble than its worth.

Once more folks start getting hit with $500+ charges for violating the warranty by opening leased units...those who think they can just do what they want will become a bit wiser.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#117 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:37 AM

Once more folks start getting hit with $500+ charges for violating the warranty by opening leased units...those who think they can just do what they want will become a bit wiser.

:lol: They are too smart for that, they will just get the warranty stickers off amazon to avoid it! :D
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#118 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,084 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 03:53 AM

:lol: They are too smart for that, they will just get the warranty stickers off amazon to avoid it! :D

:lol::lol:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#119 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:38 AM

Puhhhhleeze. :lol: This is the same place where if someone is charged 2cents more on a bill they scream their heads off and a 300 message long thread is created.

#120 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:47 AM

Yea, that'll show 'em that they can't mess with DirecTV! :lol::hurah::lol::hurah:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...