Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrading the internal hard drive on an HR24

• Please log in to reply
497 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 06:49 AM

:lol: They are too smart for that, they will just get the warranty stickers off amazon to avoid it! :D

2 of my 4 "refurbs" never had warranty stickers and on one of them it was so obviously removed that the outline of "void" is still there.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,204 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:31 AM

The thin-ness of the drive doesnt matter mine came with a stock thin seagate HD pipeline2. I replaced it with a standard size samsung 2TB and my HR24 had two screws to mount the drive, however since it had the thinner drive it also had a sponge in the HD casing to prevent shock movement, simply removed the sponge inserted the new drive (standard size) screwed in the screws put the case back on and was a done deal.

That Samsung must be a lot thinner than the WD EVDS. There is NO WAY you could fit that WD EVDS into the sled without modifying the sled.

Rich

#123 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,204 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:33 AM

yes, it has a black plastic box for the hard drive case (not metal) with screws which hold the drive in place.

Mine had a gray sled for the HDD. I even tried putting the WD EVDS in upside down and it wouldn't fit.

Rich

#124 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:18 AM

2 of my 4 "refurbs" never had warranty stickers and on one of them it was so obviously removed that the outline of "void" is still there.

While the stickers are the most obvious...that's not the only way they can tell if one has been tampered with...
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#125 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:57 AM

While the stickers are the most obvious...that's not the only way they can tell if one has been tampered with...

Like the paint coming off on the screws, like the one I just got from D* last week? :lol:
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#126 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:45 AM

Like the paint coming off on the screws, like the one I just got from D* last week? :lol:

How about a quick bench test that can be done, as well as the operational device information (which included HDD information) that can be obtained. ;)

#127 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,204 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 September 2010 - 09:52 AM

How about a quick bench test that can be done, as well as the operational device information (which included HDD information) that can be obtained. ;)

And the "quick bench test" would be done by the "refurbishing" contractor? Before or after they repack and send the "refurb (what a joke!)" out to some unsuspecting customer? :lol:

Rich

#128 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:01 AM

And the "quick bench test" would be done by the "refurbishing" contractor? Before or after they repack and send the "refurb (what a joke!)" out to some unsuspecting customer? :lol:

Rich

Then again...they can request a status report at will, which includes all the diagnostic information, including model, serial number, and other information on the internal hard drive.

#129 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:03 AM

Rich

No one said they were good at "refurbishing" a DVR, just that it's done. :lol:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#130 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:09 AM

Then again...they can request a status report at will, which includes all the diagnostic information, including model, serial number, and other information on the internal hard drive.

Ah, now it makes sense! I was wondering how they would have known if you put the original drive back in before sending it back for "refurbishment", but if they did an audit while it was in service, that would sure do it.

Wonder what their recourse would be? Total disconnection or just bricking the receiver?
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#131 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:20 AM

Ah, now it makes sense! I was wondering how they would have known if you put the original drive back in before sending it back for "refurbishment", but if they did an audit while it was in service, that would sure do it.

Wonder what their recourse would be? Total disconnection or just bricking the receiver?

I suspect it depends on the age/condition of the units.

In the case of the newer HR24's (topic of this thread), they could do a refurbish pretty quickly from the looks of the "innards".

#132 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:22 AM

In the case of the newer HR24's (topic of this thread), they could do a refurbish pretty quickly from the looks of the "innards".

Especially with the mythical tool they have to open them. Would be funny if there were a bunch of cut up credit cards in the refurb place :lol:
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#133 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:32 AM

Especially with the mythical tool they have to open them. Would be funny if there were a bunch of cut up credit cards in the refurb place :lol:

Isn't that tool called a spudger?

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#134 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:51 AM

What I can't understand is why everyone is SO CONCERNED about someone else opening their equipment despite whether it is owned or leased. Every time someone discusses it (usually the same) people jump out of the woodwork repeating the same warnings over and over again ad nauseum every other message in the same thread. If someone opens their box whether leased or owned it has no effect on me or anyone else. I think we are all old enough here to take responsibility for what we do to our "stuff." So if someone asks for help either don't respond if the guilt is so overwhelming to you or help them. The constant warnings and quoting of TOS over and over is a bit silly.

There are no "laws" against it. You can't go to jail and never once in the 5 or so years I have been reading these forums has ANYONE announced DirecTV has charged them $$$ for "tampering or altering" their equipment. I can say I once blew up a TiVo HR10 (don't ask) and DirecTV had no problem replacing it under the PP and if they weren't able to determine I destroyed that one then everyone is safe forever.

There is no way that DirecTV would force YouTube to take down a video showing how to open a DirecTV receiver. That's just absurd.

Let's all show this same concern over not letting our friends drink then drive or not text while driving. Doing Those things can have a direct effect on other people. Opening a leased DirecTV box cannot.

Couldn't agree more with you, when I said I opened up my HR24 I got attacked. It's absolutely ridiculous. There are a few people here who go around trolling reminding any rule breakers the law of the land, it's very annoying.

No one cares about some stupid lease agreement that 99.9% don't read and it's not the trolls job to enforce it. I'm not saying there needs to be any discussion on it, but not once did I ever say I opened a leased receiver and frankly it is no ones business if I decide to open an IRD.

You are always going to have those few people out there who have nothing better to do with there time then 2 be trollin.

If anyone needs help opening there HR24 just let me know. (Owned of course :D)

I have a 2TB internal WD-EVDS drive installed on my HR24-500 and it works wonderful. It is a little over kill now that I have 4 DVR's on MRV.

Edited by Doug Brott, 27 September 2010 - 11:11 PM.
removed image link

#135 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:22 AM

Couldn't agree more with you, when I said I opened up my HR24 I got attacked. It's absolutely ridiculous. There are a few people here who go around trolling reminding any rule breakers the law of the land, it's very annoying.

No one cares about some stupid lease agreement that 99.9% don't read and it's not the trolls job to enforce it. I'm not saying there needs to be any discussion on it, but not once did I ever say I opened a leased receiver and frankly it is no ones business if I decide to open an IRD.

Promoting an act that violates a lease agreement is trolling, as opposed to pointing out those provisions. :rolleyes:

That's done to help unknowing users from doing the wrong thing - simple as that.

If you own yours - do what you will. I saw no evidence of anyone who indicated they had an owned unit being "attacked" in this thread.

#136 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,716 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:38 AM

Irony or Catch-22 - the info about HDD serial number, model, etc stored inside of system logs on THE drive. :D

#137 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:40 AM

Irony - the info about HDD serial number, model, etc stored inside of system logs on THE drive. :D

:lol: Yup.

#138 ONLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,204 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:03 PM

:lol: Yup.

Think we could go back to the topic now? This is getting kinda boring. I believe we were told by the Mods that any conversations we had on the topic of putting large internals would be taken to mean that we were doing that to "owned" HRs and I've been doing just that.

Rich

#139 OFFLINE   Sim-X

Sim-X

Godfather

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:16 PM

Promoting an act that violates a lease agreement is trolling, as opposed to pointing out those provisions. :rolleyes:

That's done to help unknowing users from doing the wrong thing - simple as that.

If you own yours - do what you will. I saw no evidence of anyone who indicated they had an owned unit being "attacked" in this thread.

Pretty sure no one promotes opening leases irds at all. Helping unknown users? Constant nag and reminders about opening up lease equipment is NOT needed. If you don't know that opening up your IRD that you leased violates the lease agreement then your an idiot. Owned or not it is NONE of your business if it is or not. I can't tell you how many comments I have seen of nags when a person is just asking for help and instead they are getting questioned by trolls. I have seen numerous people here purposely go out of there to chime in about the stupid lease agreement that most people don't care about. From now on just pretend that everyone owns there HR24 then you can quit losing sleep about the people that may be violating there lease agreement.

I don't see people coming in here saying hey help me open my leased HR24. So stop assuming and stop caring if it is leased or not. It in NO WAY affects you what so ever. Stop thinking about it and maybe you can stop yourself from questioning it.

If anyone wants advice on opening an HR24-500 I would be more than happy to help you as well as some other fine people here. I'm so sick of babies crying about the lease agreement when they shouldn't even be concerned about it in the first place.

Don't Ask, Don't Tell, pretty simple

#140 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:16 PM

Hey, I've got an idea .. Let's get back on topic and off this whole "troll" kick. There really is no need for name calling by anyone.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

spam firewall