Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2nd Tuner out on 722...they want $95 to have a look. Help!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   beagan

beagan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:50 PM

Okay, so one of my tuners started to give me the 'acquiring signal' screen every now and then. Until yesterday it happened all day. Tried the reset and hard reset (unplug) with no luck. Called tech support and they ran me through the same tests, with all three signals having the dreaded red box. They said that's all they can do and will need to send a technician out. "Would you like to pay the $95 for that or sign up for the $6 monthly insurance?". Neither. It's so odd that I'm about one month shy of my 2-year commitment and this is the first time I've ever requested help with their equip. Now I need to fork over more $$ to get their equip to work again? I don't get it. I told her I'd get back with them.

Messing around with the box last night, I discovered that I could still access the 'good' tuner when I get the 'acquiring signal' screen by starting playback of a recording and then hitting PIP. This seemed to bring up the active tuner. Then swap and PIP until it exits the recording entirely. I can also access my OTA channels still. However, as soon as I hit swap (for the other tuner) I'm back to the 'acquiring signal' screen and must repeat the above to exit it (guide,up/down...none of that works).

So, then I decided that I would swap out the coaxial inputs on the back in hopes to eliminate if it's a box problem or cable/satellite. However, I didn't get anything when swapping, but I'm not sure if that's really a true test. I'm not really certain how to tell which tuner I'm currently on. Maybe I wasn't able to get to the 'good' tuner with the method described above.

I don't think this is relevant, but just more info: I'm currently running component to my main living room HDTV and HDMI to the master bedroom HDTV.

Anyone have ideas on a fix? Or at least how to determine where the problem lies...box or satellite? I'm sure I left out some vital information to help with this, so please let me know. I need your help. Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 11:00 PM

This is almost certainly a bad tuner in the receiver, meaning the receiver needs to be replaced. That's the case about 80-90% of the time. The other 10% or so it's a bad DPP Separator or the LNB/switch, but again, the vast majority of the time, it's the receiver.

As of Feb 1, 2010, all tech visits are $95 without the Service Plan and $15 with. And the CSRs have been trained NOT to waive these fees anymore unless Dish has already screwed up somehow (missed appointment, etc.).

The problem is that Dish generally won't RA a receiver for signal issues; it's assumed it *isn't* the receiver and they'll want a tech to check it out. But with this specific failure (one tuner; the other is fine), it'll be a receiver problem.

Too bad your receiver isn't power-cycling, as that would pretty much force them to send you a replacement receiver. Hint-hint.

#3 OFFLINE   tcooper185

tcooper185

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:26 AM

Too bad your receiver isn't power-cycling, as that would pretty much force them to send you a replacement receiver. Hint-hint.

I've got a post on power-cycling if you need some background...

#4 OFFLINE   inazsully

inazsully

Icon

• Registered
  • 781 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:21 PM

Simple solution. See ya Dish and hello DirecTv.

#5 OFFLINE   slarkins64

slarkins64

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:43 PM

do u have another reciever in another room? if so swap them and see if the problem persists.

#6 OFFLINE   beagan

beagan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:11 PM

Thanks for the replies. Fortunately, I did another reboot and both tuners are working. Not sure how long it will last though. If it acts up again, I'll call it in as a power-cycling failure. Thanks again!

BTW, I don't have a second box but am utilizing the HDMI out to feed to the master bedroom HDTV (75 feet away). I'm so happy I'm able to have this setup with the Dish box. Not an option if I went with DirecTV...so switching is not an option either. I like the content and the superior DVR, just not the resistance when there's a problem.

#7 OFFLINE   lujan

lujan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:09 AM

Simple solution. See ya Dish and hello DirecTv.

That's what I'm doing as soon as the HR24's come out on May 1st.
171 Blu-ray
83 DVD
63 HD DVD

#8 OFFLINE   beagan

beagan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:51 PM

Well, the DVR was acting up again the other day, so I'm sure its only a matter of time before it becomes a permanent problem. Decided to call it in tonight as a power cycling issue as described and it resulted in them sending me out a replacement 722. I should receive it in a few days. My only concern is that the CSR stated that if it is repairable, then I'll be charged the repair if it's out of warranty...which it definitely is. I hope I'm not going to have to eat some $$ for this problem. Does Dish follow through with stuff like that? The few places I've worked at that had RMA processes, the turnaround time to investigate those matters were always delayed big time...weeks and months.

#9 OFFLINE   beagan

beagan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:30 PM

Just got the replacement in the mail today, will try it out later tonight. Anyone have any input to them charging me a repair fee on the one I'm going to send back? Thanks.

#10 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:23 PM

It's unlikely that you'd be charged unless there was obvious customer damage.

spam firewall