Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hulu Starts $9.95 Subscription Service

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DirectMan

DirectMan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:35 PM

For all those who planned to "cut the cable" or "ding the dish" and go OTA, Netflix and Hulu, the price advantage will get slightly smaller.

http://latimesblogs....on-service.html

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,902 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:41 PM

Big mistake. I do not imagine myself ever paying for that service.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:41 PM

Yup.

Hulu: "We made money with our current model and rather refine that, we will change the way we do things because we think we can make more."

I hope they fall flat on their faces.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,902 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:44 PM

I'd also like to mention that many of the programs Hulu plans to charge for are available through Netflix, and without commercials. I didn't see that article saying that "Hulu Plus" content will be commercial-free.

We all knew this day would come and I just don't expect this to work for them.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:51 PM

I'd also like to mention that many of the programs Hulu plans to charge for are available through Netflix, and without commercials. I didn't see that article saying that "Hulu Plus" content will be commercial-free.

Maybe the contrary. Hard to tell from the wording about Hulu planning on going to the same commercial loads as the networks. Doesn't say that is for the newer, still free shows or for all including the Hulu Plus ones.

The crappy part about Hulu commercials is that you cannot skip or FF through them.

Sooo, come to Hulu. Pay us and we will force you to watch commercials. Or get a DVR and FF or skip to your heart's content.

Hmmm.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#6 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:53 PM

There was no way they could keep their current model and be profitable long term. They may see some slight increase in revenue but it will fade. Netflix and OTA are still better alternatives. Their market maybe people that travel a lot and dont have access to anything other than a laptop and for that their is the Sligbox. We will see. Someone in their marketing department feels they will be able to get away with charging so time will tell.

I wanted to add that if I could get better streaming from Netflix and a service like Hulu I would personally use it over any pay tv service.

#7 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:58 PM

I'll have to see exactly what they offer in terms of extra episodes and back catalog before I'll pay. But I have no problem with it at all if it provides value to me. However, if they increase the commercial load to what is on actual broadcast TV *and* that is also forced upon those that subscribe then no, I will not pay for it. I'll just make sure I catch things during the 5 episode window as it exists today. Even then, if the commercials become that bad then we'll just wait 6 months for Netflix to get it and stream it via Netflix if available or just get the DVDs.

This coming from someone who doesn't have any PayTV provider and has just OTA, Netflix and Hulu for all TV shows.

#8 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:09 PM

One thing that caught my eye in the article was that the TV folks don't want to be stuck like the music people with pirating. Gee, Hulu was doing well with the model it had. Imagine, free TV with commercials. That would never work (unlike it worked for 60 years!).

So, what do they do. They slap a fee on it all and add more commercials. THAT is their solution to lower revenues because of pirating? Driving more people to WANT to pirate??

#9 OFFLINE   bakerfall

bakerfall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:10 PM

I'd just like to point out that almost all current shows on Hulu have only had 5 episodes for years, as determined by the networks. I don't get the uproar over this as it's more of a value add then it is charging for what is currently free.
HR20-700 (w/1 TB eSATA drive), HR24-500 x3, HR22-100, SWM-16, DECA

#10 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:12 PM

I'll have to see exactly what they offer in terms of extra episodes and back catalog before I'll pay. But I have no problem with it at all if it provides value to me. However, if they increase the commercial load to what is on actual broadcast TV *and* that is also forced upon those that subscribe then no, I will not pay for it. I'll just make sure I catch things during the 5 episode window as it exists today. Even then, if the commercials become that bad then we'll just wait 6 months for Netflix to get it and stream it via Netflix if available or just get the DVDs.

This coming from someone who doesn't have any PayTV provider and has just OTA, Netflix and Hulu for all TV shows.

Im glad you posted cause i followed your previous posts about your transition to non-pay tv. I personally dont mind pay tv and if services like Hulu and Netflix would provide a good quantity of streaming I would do it and leave all paid services. (i know different thread). But there isnt enough on these sites yet and I rather pay than having to wait for a dvd in the mail.

#11 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:12 PM

I'd just like to point out that almost all current shows on Hulu have only had 5 episodes for years, as determined by the networks. I don't get the uproar over this as it's more of a value add then it is charging for what is currently free.

Because it is the start. Hulu has plans to go fully pay. This is how they start it off.

Edit to add (and clarify who I was responding to): Maybe you missed this part:

"train viewers to pay for online access to professionally produced content."

#12 OFFLINE   bakerfall

bakerfall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:14 PM

Because it is the start. Hulu has plans to go fully pay. This is how they start it off.

I don't believe this to be accurate and your statement is based solely on your own personal speculation. Hulu has a small profit margin as it currently exists and the networks want some free streaming options as many of them have their own on their site, in addition to Hulu.

I only use Hulu for missed recordings and travel as it is, if they chose to become a solely cost based provider, there are many other free options available.

#13 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:15 PM

I don't believe this to be accurate and your statement is based solely on your own personal speculation. Hulu has a small profit margin as it currently exists and the networks want some free streaming options as many of them have their own on their site, in addition to Hulu.

I only use Hulu for missed recordings and travel as it is, if they chose to become a solely cost based provider, there are many other free options available.

Sorry, I added something to the previous post.

this was from the article:

#14 OFFLINE   bakerfall

bakerfall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:19 PM

Sorry, I added something to the previous post.

this was from the article:

It's still speculation on the writer's part.

Regardless, if you are correct, there are many options available to those that want free content. OTA, Networks on streams, bittorrent. Legal or not, people that use Hulu as a free provider to watch current episodes are not going to pay for something they can continue to get for free by other means.

#15 OFFLINE   gfrang

gfrang

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:29 PM

I didn't use it much when it was free.

#16 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:35 PM

I have never used hulu before and dont plan to start now.

#17 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,495 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:49 PM

I have never used hulu before and dont plan to start now.

Ditto.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#18 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 April 2010 - 01:57 PM

It's still speculation on the writer's part.

Regardless, if you are correct, there are many options available to those that want free content. OTA, Networks on streams, bittorrent. Legal or not, people that use Hulu as a free provider to watch current episodes are not going to pay for something they can continue to get for free by other means.

Yes, I agree. That was my point. This will drive people away rather than bring them to Hulu.

Hulu should have been advertising its product and they could make some real money on commercials that cannot be skipped as the eyeballs increased. They had what OTA and cable channels do not have....a way of making commercials run (they can't force someone to watch them but they can make sure they are not skipped over). That was their competitive edge for making money, not charging customers.

BTW, the way it is written is not writer's speculation. Seems to be pretty much a direct quote without the exact words quoted.

#19 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:20 PM

I don't know how this could possibly be a surprise to anyone (I've been posting about sites like Hulu going subscription for over a year). These TV shows are not free to create, and the websites and bandwidth is not free to the networks.

Sure, they made a small profit off Hulu because the content was already largely paid for, and the ad revenue covered costs and left a small profit. But TV networks don't spend millions to produce content to end up with a SMALL profit; they do it to make big money. Plus, the networks know very well that Internet distribution is the future (even if it's not fully ready today), and they also knew that they needed to give stuff away to create a brand and get people used to using them. But those days were always numbered.

Hulu clients are now built into important pieces of hardware and software, which means that they have a big advantage. The next step will be to offer HD programming at a premium. People will grumble as they reach for their wallets, but folks want HD and it's proven that they'll pay extra for it.

Hulu is largely unnecessary IF you can get OTA service (many can't) and IF you have yourself a nice OTA DVR to capture your shows for time-shifted viewing, again something that most don't have. Hulu is otherwise a convenience, and it's one a lot of people will pay for.

#20 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,952 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 02:26 PM

I didn't use it much when it was free.

I checked it out when it first premiered, but I honestly can't recall the last time I went there. As far as Network shows go, the Thursday night NBC line-up is all I need, other than Sports, and I can record that via antenna in HD. It's fallen into the same category for me as Joost, something I craved and embraced in the beginning, then fell into irrelevance.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...