Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

FCC to require All Vid IP video adapters from cable and maybe satellite

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:10 PM

Actually, I believe the RVU boxes can be set up to use the GUI that is sent out by the server box, or they can use their own GUI built into the box if that RVU box includes one.

I have never heard this before, and the RVU website is pretty clear about the RUI technology being it:

Rather than implementing an entire UI via client-side software, RVU RUI protocol clients are process-light or "thin" while providing a robust, consistent UI experience throughout the home.

The UI must come from the server.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:53 PM

I think it's an awesome thing and I hope it comes in 2012 and does what it's supposed to.

With the cable co you may be looking at 2015 or later.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#23 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:16 PM

I understand it is an output standard that the providers would have to meet. My concern is could that in itself stifle innovation? If all providers must output in a common format, and be restricted to that as well (will they be?), inevitably that format might end up stale.... or otherwise limit innovation possibilities. Face it, one of the drivers of innovation is in thinking you have an edge on something via a new product development. What if some genius comes up with a great new idea but it would require deployment on a platform/protocol the FCC does not bless.... what then?

Take cell phones for example. The fact that the U.S. did not adopt/mandate a common digital standard as did Europe has at times been annoying when it come to roaming and equipment portability, etc. But I would say the fact that the CDMA standard exists and has had commercial success probably forced the GSM world to take note and make progress they other wise would not have made, or at least not as quickly.

I will be happy if my concerns are mis-placed.

#24 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:44 PM

[quote name='tkrandall']While it may sound good to have a common standard that allows the consumer to shop around content providers more easily - is there a real potential for a down side such as adverse impact on innovation (or financial incentive for innovation) that having to hold devices to a common standard might impose? Forcing solutions that could end up imposing unintended or unforeseen limitations would be a concern I have.

Moreover, the FCC chair seems to have quite a vision for broadband as THE panacea for society, and the indications as to his commitment to achieve this vision and the level of social engineering the FCC is looking to impose to achieve it... well I find it all a bit unnerving. I guess I am just old school.......[/QUOTE]

I doubt it will be a problem. More than likely more funds will be focused on one target standard like in other technologies.

[quote name='Tom Servo']I'm wondering how much this magic box is going to cost if it has to decode all these different digital streams. Providers may only use a handful of encoding schemes, but don't they use a lot of different encryption schemes? Seems like that will drive up costs a lot.

It reminds me of the desire people have to be able to take a phone handset across multiple providers, which means having multiple transceivers for a myriad of frequencies. My (unsubsidized) GSM phone was $500 over four years ago. I can only imagine how big, bulky and expensive it'd be if it had integrated CDMA, TDMA, EV-DO, UMTS, iDEN and I dunno what else included.[/QUOTE]

This is already being done and its pretty cheap to do now. To manufacturer a phone that has all technologies is not very expensive for carriers anymore. Obviously in mass production.

[quote name='tkrandall']I understand it is an output standard that the providers would have to meet. My concern is could that in itself stifle innovation? If all providers must output in a common format, and be restricted to that as well (will they be?), inevitably that format might end up stale.... or otherwise limit innovation possibilities. Face it, one of the drivers of innovation is in thinking you have an edge on something via a new product development. What if some genius comes up with a great new idea but it would require deployment on a platform/protocol the FCC does not bless.... what then?

Take cell phones for example. The fact that the U.S. did not adopt/mandate a common digital standard as did Europe has at times been annoying when it come to roaming and equipment portability, etc. But I would say the fact that the CDMA standard exists and has had commercial success probably forced the GSM world to take note and make progress they other wise would not have made, or at least not as quickly.
I will be happy if my concerns are mis-placed.[/QUOTE]

Thats a good point but they went GSM for example because the ease of moving a chip from one phone to another. There is still other standards used throughout Europe and across the globe as will in this case. The FCC will not stop new innovations but they will make it so consumers will have much more flexibility. I think its a great start and I look forward to this really working by 2012 if not sooner.

#25 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,380 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:07 AM

With the cable co you may be looking at 2015 or later.

MoCA is widely available for use with cable TV today. It may take time to integrate it into the STB, but you can use it NOW with an adapter.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#26 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:23 AM

MoCA is widely available for use with cable TV today. It may take time to integrate it into the STB, but you can use it NOW with an adapter.

I highly doubt he meant it literally.

#27 OFFLINE   wavemaster

wavemaster

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 05:54 AM

In software I see it all the time where we have to "standardize" with multiple platforms and in the end it is ALWAYS a dumbed down version of our original. Innovation will suffer due to the very nature of it, I don't see how it can't.

In this platform I can do this.... In that platform I can't do this.... Result = scratch this

<sigh> I suppose this could be a new day where the cable company's and everyone else in the industry will WANT what is best for the consumer and actually work toward that goal.... </sigh> I think I've seen FTARH too many times and am starting to get a contact hi.

#28 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:03 AM

'Im sorry Mr. customer, but your sony-roku-tivo-netflix-directv client box has had some sort of tuner failure. I cant carry all of the 35 different brands and 117 individual types of receivers on my truck, so youre going to have to live without directv at this location until you go back to bestbuy and purchase another one for $200.00. Have a nice day.'
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#29 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:21 AM

'Im sorry Mr. customer, but your sony-roku-tivo-netflix-directv client box has had some sort of tuner failure. I cant carry all of the 35 different brands and 117 individual types of receivers on my truck, so youre going to have to live without directv at this location until you go back to bestbuy and purchase another one for $200.00. Have a nice day.'

No different than a few years ago when Directv used Sony, RCA, Hughes, and several other boxes. Wasnt a show stopper then. Dont see it as a show stopper in the future. Tech checks the dish signal, signal is good, tells customer his gateway has a problem. If DirecTv installed it, they will have the unit to swap it out with. If the customer bought his own third party unit, he has the option to deal with their tech support, or get you to install the DirecTv gateway in its place.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#30 OFFLINE   Tom Servo

Tom Servo

Icon

• Registered
  • 950 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:03 PM

Back then a lot more people did (could do) their own installations. They'd buy the dish and a receiver at Wal-Mart or Circuit City and install it themselves. All the receiver purchases were done at the store level, whereas now most people probably get their stuff off the truck and don't know or care what model it is.

#31 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:34 AM

We've enjoyed a spirited discussion about RVU/AllVid/CableCard 2 in a couple of DIRECTV thread, but this topic needs its own thread. Lo and behold, dvrblogger started one a year ago! (Rats, I missed it then.)

So I'm resurrecting a perfectly good thread to continue the discussion.

I'm also moving this to the General Satellite Legislative Forum.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#32 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:39 AM

I have a feeling this thread may stay dead, since it's not in one of the popular forums.

#33 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:44 AM

I have a feeling this thread may stay dead, since it's not in one of the popular forums.

That is a possibility. Maybe we'll just end up playing pinocle in this thread. :)

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#34 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:50 AM

Why would I call you when my sony-roku-tivo-netflix-directv client box fails? I don't call DIRECTV when my samsung TVs fail today.

If the gateway is working (and is verified such), I'd just call Sony. (Or more likely bestbuy if I purchased it from them.)

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

#35 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:52 AM

Why would I call you when my sony-roku-tivo-netflix-directv client box fails? I don't call DIRECTV when my samsung TVs fail today.

And even if I did call DirecTV for troubleshooting assistance, why would I expect them to replace a non-DirecTV branded box that I purchased from Best Buy?

#36 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:01 AM

That is a possibility. Maybe we'll just end up playing pinocle in this thread. :)

It likely has no place to go anyways. 99% of the people do not understand what the AllVid proposal is, let alone the reaons why it would be good for them. Hopefully, the FCC will stay on track and not be swayed by political influence again. Sadly, I have my doubts that will be the case.

The cable companies have too much influence and with the hiring of the ex-FCC chief to the top spot at the NCTA, I see real trouble on the horizon for the initiative. I think it's doomed... :(
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#37 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:02 AM

Who did you call when your cable-ready VCR quit working?
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

Protected By... spam firewall...And...