Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

RF remote doesn't work well

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Kayser22

Kayser22

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:10 PM

Hello - I recently bought a HR23NC - 700 receiver that came with an RC65r remote. My problem is that the remote just works crappy in RF mode. Even in the same room you have to press a button several times at several different angles to get it to work. I have seen references to problems that DirecTV has had with RF remotes in other posts, but I haven't seen any specifics. Has anybody else had similar problems? I believe the receiver has an internal antenna. Is there anything I can do to improve performance? Will Directv address this issue? Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:23 PM

Hello - I recently bought a HR23NC - 700 receiver that came with an RC65r remote. My problem is that the remote just works crappy in RF mode. Even in the same room you have to press a button several times at several different angles to get it to work. I have seen references to problems that DirecTV has had with RF remotes in other posts, but I haven't seen any specifics. Has anybody else had similar problems? I believe the receiver has an internal antenna. Is there anything I can do to improve performance? Will Directv address this issue? Thanks in advance.

I use the remote in RF mode for the same unit without a problem. Could their be an rf source in the room or nearby that interferes? Possible sources...

Fish Tanks, flourescent lighting, a "leaky" dimmer switch.. might be a bad remote...
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#3 OFFLINE   Kayser22

Kayser22

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:32 PM

I use the remote in RF mode for the same unit without a problem. Could their be an rf source in the room or nearby that interferes? Possible sources...

Fish Tanks, flourescent lighting, a "leaky" dimmer switch.. might be a bad remote...

I don't think so. The only fluorescent light in the area would be the squiggly light bulbs. Ithink we have a problem even if they are off.

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:32 PM

It is what it is, and likely won't get any better. I hate the internal antenna concept, but I understand why it's done that way. Nothing to get lost or broken. But it also limits the range.

But there's also the issue that it is a radio signal and as such, is subject to interference. For some folks, it works fine, and for others, poorly. Sometimes just moving the receiver an inch in one direction or another will make a big difference in performance.

Again, the only way to improve it is with an external antenna, and that doesn't seem to be a popular solution for DirecTV.

#5 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,724 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:40 PM

Would it improve if he was to switch the remote back to IR and try another Direct Remote in RF mode? They seem to have different frequencies and perhaps better operation? I have 2 RF set remotes in my home and they do not control the other remotes domain.

Don "just asking" Bolton

It is what it is, and likely won't get any better. I hate the internal antenna concept, but I understand why it's done that way. Nothing to get lost or broken. But it also limits the range.

But there's also the issue that it is a radio signal and as such, is subject to interference. For some folks, it works fine, and for others, poorly. Sometimes just moving the receiver an inch in one direction or another will make a big difference in performance.

Again, the only way to improve it is with an external antenna, and that doesn't seem to be a popular solution for DirecTV.

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#6 OFFLINE   Kayser22

Kayser22

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 06:48 PM

Would it improve if he was to switch the remote back to IR and try another Direct Remote in RF mode? They seem to have different frequencies and perhaps better operation? I have 2 RF set remotes in my home and they do not control the other remotes domain.

Don "just asking" Bolton

I only have on rf remote. The other three are strictly IR.

#7 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,979 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:57 PM

I have seen some complaints that the HR20-100s (which have an external antenna) are less sensitive than the models with an internal antenna.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:49 PM

I've got three receivers controlled through RF. One simply has a weak pickup. "I'd guess" these receivers, with weak RF, have a bad antenna inside and there isn't much one can do but exchange them.
With a good receiver, I can walk into another room and still control the receiver [same remote I use for all three].
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 06:44 AM

New batteries? My RF remotes usually need new batteries every 3 months.

:)

#10 OFFLINE   Dukester619

Dukester619

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:31 PM

I have three receivers (2 HR21's and 1 HR23) set to use RF as well and I have no problems at all. One is used for my wall mounted kitchen LCD with the receiver residing in the garage on the other side of the wall. It even works from outside the sliding glass door to the patio.

Another I use for both my living room and my office (through the wall as well). I use the HDMI out for the living room flat screen and the component out for my office PIP computer monitor with the audio going through the computer speakers.

I have a question for the gurus here though. I have an extra remote (same as the others) that I would like to keep in the office. Right now I am always using the same one for both the living room and my office so I have to bring it back and forth depending on where I am watching from. Is it possible to have two remotes for the same receiver, and if so, how do I marry the extra remote to the living room receiver?

#11 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:37 PM

Yes up can set up the receiver to respond to two (or more) RF remotes. You should be able to find the instructions here or on the D* site, but I don't know them off the top of my head.

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:44 PM

For AV1 or 2:
1. AV1 or AV2
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
3. enter 0 0 0 0 1

4. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
5. enter 9 6 1
6. press CH UP
7. enter the last 6 digits of the Receiver ID #, found on a sticker in the access card compartment
8. press SELECT

For the DTV postion on another remote:
1. dtv
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
3. enter 0 0 0 0 1

4. press and hold MUTE & SELECT for two blinks
5. enter 9 6 1
6. press CH UP
7. enter the last 6 digits of the receivers ID #, found on a sticker in the access card comparment
8. press SELECT
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   nitsudima

nitsudima

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:04 PM

Back to the topic from the OP, some LCD HD TVs cause interference with RF remotes. I don't recall specific brands, but some brands/models are known for being bigger culprits than others. Plasmas don't have this problem, and I suppose newer LCD TVs that use LED backlights probably don't have this issue.

If your TV is LCD with a fluorescent backlight, you might do a Google search for LCD remote problems. I think one simple fix is to try lowering your brightness level, but there might be a few other things you could try.

#14 OFFLINE   Dukester619

Dukester619

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:04 PM

Yes up can set up the receiver to respond to two (or more) RF remotes. You should be able to find the instructions here or on the D* site, but I don't know them off the top of my head.

Thanks, I found the programming info with a simple search.
Unfortunately I also found out the extra remote is not RF. All the others are RC64R's but the spare is an RC64 which I gather is not an RF remote.

Oh well.

#15 OFFLINE   Dukester619

Dukester619

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:10 PM

Thanks vos, I posted before I saw your reply.
I didn't mean to highjack the thread either.

#16 OFFLINE   sungam

sungam

Legend

• Registered
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:29 PM

Back to the topic from the OP, some LCD HD TVs cause interference with RF remotes. I don't recall specific brands, but some brands/models are known for being bigger culprits than others. Plasmas don't have this problem, and I suppose newer LCD TVs that use LED backlights probably don't have this issue.

If your TV is LCD with a fluorescent backlight, you might do a Google search for LCD remote problems. I think one simple fix is to try lowering your brightness level, but there might be a few other things you could try.

I think you have it backwards... flat panel TVs (as well as compact fluorescent lamps, LED Christmas lights and perhaps other IR sources) can interfere with IR remote controls... and the best solution is to switch to RF remote control. I've not heard of a TV interfering with RF remotes.

#17 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:50 PM

I think you have it backwards... flat panel TVs (as well as compact fluorescent lamps, LED Christmas lights and perhaps other IR sources) can interfere with IR remote controls... and the best solution is to switch to RF remote control. I've not heard of a TV interfering with RF remotes.

This is correct, the backlights from the TVs sometimes give off IR that causes problems. I have mostly heard of Comcast cable boxes having trouble with this, haven't heard of too many problems with D* receivers.

Dukester, you can buy RF remotes from D*. Otherwise I have heard that people have had good luck getting them pretty cheap online at amazon and ebay.

#18 OFFLINE   PressureContent

PressureContent

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:12 AM

I have two of these remotes in RF mode that control the same HR21-700. One in the room and one across the house in the kitchen (use an AV sender). Both remotes are quirky. Mostly the one in the kitchen but the one by the receiver works sluggishly also. It seems to me that is gets bogged down and will transmit several commands once it gets caught up (especially paging through lists).

#19 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:20 AM

I have two of these remotes in RF mode that control the same HR21-700. One in the room and one across the house in the kitchen (use an AV sender). Both remotes are quirky. Mostly the one in the kitchen but the one by the receiver works sluggishly also. It seems to me that is gets bogged down and will transmit several commands once it gets caught up (especially paging through lists).

This type of response is on the receiver end. If you watch the remote's blinking lights, I doubt you'll see them "blink later".
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...