Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

1080i vs 720p

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Walters

Mark Walters

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:04 PM

I just finished watching TNT's (1080i) coverage of Suns @ Blazers. The game ended about 20 mins ago so I flipped to ESPN's (720p) coverage of Hawks @ Bucks and it looks like I'm watching SD programming.

TNT has superior picture quality over ESPN. I never had a chance to compare and contrast because usually both networks don't get games the same day. Usually it's ABC & ESPN (both 720p) doing the coverage or TNT & NBA TV (both 1080i) doing the coverage.

I've heard in the past that 720p is much better for sports. My eyes don't lie and I must say I think ESPN needs to upgrade to 1080i or be the first 1080p broadcaster.

As an NFL Sunday Ticket sub, I've always been of the opinion that the picture quality of the NFL on CBS is much better than the NFL on FOX. And this is another example where CBS is 1080i and Fox is 720p.

My opinion -- 720p has to go. I might have to give HD glasses a shot while I'm watching ESPN HD or just watch SD programming for a few minutes before I flip to ESPN HD. (Or any station for that matter that's in 720p)

:lol::lol:

That's my Jerry Springer thought of the day! (I know very old reference, but I think the show is still in syndication) :rolleyes:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 04:57 PM

I agree but with 1080i, I see a bit more mess-ups with video during quick motion than with 720p. 1080p would be better but just takes so much more bandwidth (higher data rate).
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

spam firewall