Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

922 OTA Manual timers-no locals, no guide????

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rotryrkt

Rotryrkt

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:22 PM

I just got my 922 fully up and running with the OTA module only to discover I can't set a manual timer. I am not eligible to receive local channels from Dish, so I do not get guide data for the OTA locals. We want to record several programs from the OTA tuners on a recurring basis, and I don't see a way to do it. With the 622, 722, and 612 this was never a big problem. What gives, the wife is not a happy camper that I can't record her soap in HD on my new expensive toy. This really is a problem. Any ideas???
2-HR24-500, 1-H25-500 WHDVR, Wireless CCK
S-3 SWM Dish
OTA Winegard HD7698P Rooftop

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,010 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:58 PM

The only workaround I see at this point is IF you can still set manual timers through the Dish Remote Access Web site.

Have you tried that?

Not optimal, even if it works, but worth a try in the meantime.

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#3 OFFLINE   Rotryrkt

Rotryrkt

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:41 PM

Looks like it is possible to do a manual timer through remote access, but the OTA channels don't show up in the available channel list. I noticed also that recorded programs off OTA tuners don't show up in the My DVR list. Looks like it is not possible. Bummer. :mad:
S-3 SWM Dish

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,010 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 April 2010 - 10:22 PM

FYI, I have passed your concerns along to Dish so that they know it is a very real customer problem not to be able to create manual timers on the 922.

Dish Pass, which is also unavailable on the 922, might be a different ball of wax...

But in addition to your particular problem with OTA recording, I can think of other scenarios where I have wanted (and do on my 622/722) a manual timer even on a channel where I had EPG data.

#5 OFFLINE   Rotryrkt

Rotryrkt

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:09 AM

Thanks a lot Stewart for passing this along to Dish.

Hopefully, with the new bird going into service soon and the passing of the new law basically requiring carriage of all local channels and allowing Dish to sell locals into neighboring DMA's, this problem will go away. Or, maybe Dish will just enable manual timers on the 922. I guess I could just "move". ;)
S-3 SWM Dish

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,010 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:53 PM

I would really like to see Manual timers too... but also, I hope they will eventually add all the EPG data for OTA in markets they don't yet carry SAT locals. That, at least, would correct your situation for most things if they truly think Manual timers are not a needed thing.

spam firewall