Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Yamaha A/V Reciever Question

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:56 AM

I'm glad things are going well for you, Polardog, and that you are having so much fun learning about your equipment. When I got into home audio, it was still a hobby. It became an appliance over the years and most people stopped playing around with the boxes. Not you. :) This stuff can bring enjoyment, not just a way to watch the news. Good work.

:joy:

Since you are using two subs, make sure they are in phase with each other. On the back of the Energy sub there is a phase switch. You want it in the position that gives you the most bass. Depending on the source and location of the two subs, the difference could be subtle. Maybe in the middle of watching a movie, flip the phase switch and watch some more. With time you'll hear the difference. You don't want the two subs moving opposite of each other, canceling each other out. You want them in phase with each other, reinforcing each other's bass.

The other sub hint I can give you is once you get the output of the Energy sub close to where you want it, fine tune it by using the crossover and volume controls on the back of the sub in tandem and opposite of each other. In other words, if you turn up the output, turn down the crossover. If you turn down the sub's volume, tweak up the crossover point.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Polardog

Polardog

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:41 AM

Since you are using two subs, make sure they are in phase with each other.

Good morning Carl.
I played a bit with the energy sub last night trying to see if the subs were out of phase. I need to set aside enough time to watch a movie that will give the subs a workout so I can make any adjustments.
Up until yesterday I was only using the Bose passive sub which is located behind my sofa in the only open area (a window opening) behind me. It is a small opening that also is the location for my L&R back speakers. The room is quite small so much so that if I were to locate the Bose sub up front it would stick out into the room. Chosing a second sub (the Energy ESW-C8) required care in making sure the new sub did not stick out into the room. The Energy was perfect (although I would have liked a 10" sub). So, 1 sub foward and 1 sub behind me.

My setup before yesterday with the Bose sub behind me was good. The bass was very evenly distributed through the room and the lowest notes rumbled your butt. The front firing Bose was not in anyones line of sight or sound. It was literally unseen.....but you could hear & feel it's effects very well.
Now with the Energy up front and left my eyes travel to the sub because the sound seems to be more directional to me. Something I guess I need to work with.

Most of you would probably gasp at the room I have my home theatre in. Lots of sharp angles, a steeply angled ceiling that runs down to a 52" hip wall on 2 sides, many openings. The LF speaker is mere inches from the kitchen threshold which sports a half wall. The RF speaker is mere inches from the front entrance "hall". The entire room is approx 12' X 15".
Not complaining. I completely enjoy my media setup. And, living in the middle of 34 acres allows me to watch and listen to movies and music loudly anytime of day or night, even with windows open.

Ed.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...