Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV Launches Univision and TeleFutura in Crystal-Clear HD

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   paco1986

paco1986

Icon

• Registered
  • 574 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:28 PM

I enjoyed the football games on Saturday, Pachuca v. Monterey, and Sunday, America v. Toluca, but I was disappointed that unlike ESPN 2 they were displayed in 4X3 and not 16x9. Hopefully this gets rectified before the World Cup.

The Pachuca v. Monterrey game feed provided to Univision was not produced in HD. So it wasn't a technical issue. But the World Cup will be in HD!:)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:46 AM

Telefutura Is Once Again America’s #2 Spanish-Language Network in Spanish-Language Primetime, Beating Telemundo

#143 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,525 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:04 PM

Hopefully this gets rectified before the World Cup.

ALL MATCHES will be shown in HD on the ESPNs. I suppose that commercials might be an issue one way or the other, but nobody should be shut out entirely from getting a live HD feed unless they are absolutely adamant about hearing the Spanish call.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#144 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,525 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:22 PM

The world cup will be aired in HD. That's is a major reason why these two channels were added.

The once a year World Cup was probably not a compelling reason to add Univision and Telefutura.

The compelling reason to add these two channels is for subscribers who want HD renditions (or significantly better renditions of SD programming) of conventional Latino television programming that isn't available otherwise.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#145 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,906 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:27 PM

The once a year World Cup was probably not a compelling reason to add Univision and Telefutura.

The compelling reason to add these two channels is for subscribers who want HD renditions (or significantly better renditions of SD programming) of conventional Latino television programming that isn't available otherwise.

World Cup is every 4 years. Harsh is wrong, again. Shocking! :rolleyes:
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#146 OFFLINE   Wicked

Wicked

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:01 PM

Check it's lineup.. Look at how much content on the channels are actual HD? And tell me the World Cup wasn't a major reason these channels were added.
Vizio E550VA 55"LCD HDTV 1080p
Panasonic TH-42PD12 42" Plasma HDTV 720p
DirecTV
-Lo Maximo/NFLST/MLBEI/FS+/SportsPack
HR24-500
HR23-700
SKY Mexico
-SKY UNIVERSE+La Liga
SKY+HD (HR23)

#147 OFFLINE   BigRick10

BigRick10

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:14 PM

Thank god i just got my SKYHD. I can't stand the announcers here :hurah:

#148 OFFLINE   bamaweather

bamaweather

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:36 PM

Check it's lineup.. Look at how much content on the channels are actual HD? And tell me the World Cup wasn't a major reason these channels were added.

Part of it probably has to do with the fact that Univision and TeleFutura didn't launch in HD until the beginning of this year. Is not as if they could have added it very far in the past. I'm sure the whole World Cup thing didn't hurt, though.

#149 OFFLINE   BigRedFan

BigRedFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 03:09 PM

Having trouble with Telefutura Ch 408HD I get ext. 721. Directv says issue with HD channel will not be resolved until May 7 something about a billing issue on their end not with me.

Finally today DTV resolved the black-out of TeleFutura-HD Ch.408 in the zip codes where Ch.408 had been previously blacked out (in TF local affiliate markets before HD was added last Wednesday).... I'm now receiving the HD channel for the first time since it was launched last week.... Nice !

If you're still not getting the TF-HD channel (721 message) do a receiver refresh.... It should come in because all zip codes are now open to receive it (if you subscribe to "Mas" or "En Espanol" packages).....This, according to the Tech Support Supervisor who was handling my account and called to give me the news this afternoon ......

#150 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,525 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:52 PM

World Cup is every 4 years.

That represents 75% less support for the idea that the World Cup 2010 is a "major" reason to add two full-time HD channels as Wicked had rationalized.

#151 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,525 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:13 AM

There are several HD channels that DIRECTV offers than have little to no HD content and no major sporting events to support their addition. If major sporting events were a concern, you would think they would have popped for the NBC/Universal channels for the Olympics.

I remain convinced that you're mistaken about DIRECTV's "major" motivation for adding the channels.

#152 OFFLINE   Wicked

Wicked

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:30 AM

Sigh..

If you don't want to believe fine.. But please do read today's press release..
DirecTV
HR24-500
HR23-700
SKY Mexico
-SKY UNIVERSE+La Liga
SKY+HD (HR23)

#153 OFFLINE   Smthkd

Smthkd

Icon

• Registered
  • 925 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:42 PM

Has anyone notics on D* HD channel lineup breakdown they are counting SmithsonianHD VOD, HDNET and HDNet Movies VOD as channels?
Media/Family Room:
Panasonic TC-P65S1 Plasma , Toshiba XA2 (28 HD DVD's),Sony 60gig PS3 (80 Blu-Ray/16 Games), Onkyo 705, Infinity CC2, 4 Infinity RS5, 2 Infinity Overture 3,Velodyne DDS12, Directv HR20,Monster Power HTS2500 MKII, SlingBox ProHD
Master Bedroom:
Hitachi 55HDS69 Plasma, Sony STR-DA4ES, Toshiba A2, Directv - H21
Seating Room:
Panasonic 34" HDtv, Toshiba A2, Directv H21

#154 OFFLINE   K1A

K1A

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 03:56 PM

Does anyone know when these channels be added to the Fresno-Visalia market?

#155 OFFLINE   BigRedFan

BigRedFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:25 PM

In this month's DTV Programming Newsletter (the insert with the monthly bill) they're listing the first 20 HD channels to be added in May/ June.... There are no surprises in this List except for one: TeleFutura-HD coming to Channel 74, not Channel 408 where it was recently added to the Spanish-language packages...

Since this Newsletter does not cover (or list) the Spanish-language packages' networks (there is a separate Newsletter for "Mas" subscribers), my assumption is that TF will now be made available outside of "Mas".....

Why they're putting it on Ch. 74 and not just opening up Ch. 408 for everyone is a question I posed to Sixto on his DTV Transponders thread....

Another question is whether this will be TeleFutura East or West (the Lineup Guide doesn't say).... It'd be great if it's East to complement the West feed on 408...

#156 OFFLINE   Woochifer

Woochifer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 02:19 AM

There are several HD channels that DIRECTV offers than have little to no HD content and no major sporting events to support their addition. If major sporting events were a concern, you would think they would have popped for the NBC/Universal channels for the Olympics.

I remain convinced that you're mistaken about DIRECTV's "major" motivation for adding the channels.

You're ignoring the fact that no other "major" sporting event can compare to the audience for the World Cup. The global TV audience for the World Cup dwarfs everything else, including the Olympics. It might not register as much for American audiences, but definitely does for Univision's viewers. And Univision's ratings for the World Cup are roughly triple those for ESPN and ABC's World Cup broadcasts.

The Olympics is a poor comparison because the events were split between multiple channels, with most of the audience watching on NBC and only one channel showing live Olympic events (MSNBC) was not in HD on Directv.

For Univision's viewers, the World Cup is appointment viewing and getting the event in HD would indeed be a major motivation for their audience. This is the same reason why HDTV sales every year peak during the week of the Super Bowl. At the very least, Directv should add Univision HD just to avoid a spate of cancellations during the World Cup. Failing to add any of the other missing HD channels won't have nearly as detrimental an effect on Directv's subscriber retention, as failing to add Univision HD in time for the World Cup would have.

Unlike other cable channels, sports is more of a make or break offering than any other programming. USA is the highest rated cable network, but dropping that network or not offering it in HD would not induce nearly as many cancellations as ESPN or the local RSN would. This is why ESPN's carriage fee is more than 6X greater than USA, despite USA having an average audience more than twice as big. It's also why the local RSNs' carriage fees are about twice as high as any of the national cable channels, except ESPN.

#157 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:13 AM

So, will we be able to see World Cup on both ESPN/ABC, as well as Univision here in the states? ESPN is not exclusive?

#158 OFFLINE   xyzzy42

xyzzy42

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:38 AM

So, will we be able to see World Cup on both ESPN/ABC, as well as Univision here in the states? ESPN is not exclusive?

ESPN has the English broadcast rights. Univision has the Spanish broadcast rights.

For the 2006 World Cup, Setanta (RIP) rebroadcast the host nation's coverage in German. Setanta Has World Cup Fever

#159 OFFLINE   Wicked

Wicked

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 10:35 PM

And ESPN Deportes 432 will air the games in Portuguese.. These will not be in HD..
DirecTV
HR24-500
HR23-700
SKY Mexico
-SKY UNIVERSE+La Liga
SKY+HD (HR23)

#160 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:29 PM

UniVision's Coverage in the past has been better than ESPN's too. Well at least during the last World Cup. I think the reason Both Direct and now Dish are carrying Univision and Tele has everything to do with the fact that the World Cup is right around the corner, and the market that watch's the World Cup is HUGE, and nobody wants to be left out.

spam firewall