Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What equipment do I need when new sattelite goes live?

l630

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hshendon

hshendon

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:12 AM

I recently had a tech visit me and adjust / reseat my dish as high winds had caused it to move slightly and degrade reception.

When he was visiting, he commented on my equipment and joked a bit about how old it was. He said I would need a new dish when the new sattelite went live in order to get everything I could out of it. He also said my receiver was pretty old and I should look into an upgrade there, too.

So, was he right? What equipment - both dish and reciever - is required when the new sattelite goes live? I will look up my model information when I get home and reply to this thread for a better assessment, but getting the requirements should be a good start.

My dish is not one of the new ones. It is an oval dish that I got some time ago with an extra lnb extender to make it work with HD.

Thanks in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,183 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 11:15 AM

If you can get the current HD, you can get the HD from D12.

Need H2x or HR2x receiver.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#3 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:43 PM

If you told us what equipment you have now we could tell you if you need anything new. As long as you can receive all the HD channels offered today, you'll be able to get all the HD channels when the new sat lights up, its being parked at one of the existing locations(99)

#4 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:46 PM

If you told us what equipment you have now we could tell you if you need anything new. As long as you can receive all the HD channels offered today, you'll be able to get all the HD channels when the new sat lights up, its being parked at one of the existing locations(99)

D12 is going to 103 not 99 but yes. If you can receive the current HD channels you will be able to receive the new ones from D12. One of the 2 channels fired up today seems to be on 110/119 which you might not be able to access but it is Spanish and you would have the correct dish to access it if you have the Spanish package.

#5 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:48 PM

Does your dish look like this?:
http://cdn.directv.c..._kaku_fl2-4.jpg
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#6 OFFLINE   lothario

lothario

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:27 PM

I'd like to know as well what model dish is the best out there right now. Plan for H24 boxes.

#7 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,712 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:45 PM

I'd like to know as well what model dish is the best out there right now. Plan for H24 boxes.

No real choices ... either SlimLine 3-LNB or SlimLine 5-LNB, depending on if you need the 119ºW satellite for your local SD channels, or want the Spanish Package.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#8 OFFLINE   hshendon

hshendon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:40 AM

Grentz, yes, my dish looks exactly like that!

#9 OFFLINE   hshendon

hshendon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:42 AM

What are h24 boxes?

Sorry if I am being such a noob here, folks. I used to surf here frequently, but have gotten out of the habit and have fallen behind on all the latest info on hardware and software.

#10 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:14 AM

The latest models in the series of HD products from DirecTV are the H24 and HR24. "H24 boxes" refers to those (as opposed to earlier models, H21, H23, HR20, HR21, HR22, HR23). However all will work with programming from the new satellite.

If you have a receiver that is not among the models I noted above, then you will probably need to upgrade.

#11 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,106 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:42 AM

That is the AT-9 (sidecar) dish which was used before the Slimline came out. It will work with D12.

#12 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:48 AM

Then you will have no trouble as bob said.

The AT-9 Sidecar sees all the same satellites as the current slimline 5, it is just a slightly different design.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#13 OFFLINE   lothario

lothario

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 04:47 PM

Thanks for reply.
I dont want SD locals.. :) only HD..
What about this one form solidsignal?
Model: AU9-SL5-SWM-B-PWS
It costs extra because it has a switch built in?

No real choices ... either SlimLine 3-LNB or SlimLine 5-LNB, depending on if you need the 119ºW satellite for your local SD channels, or want the Spanish Package.

#14 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,106 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:44 PM

Thanks for reply.
I dont want SD locals.. :) only HD..
What about this one form solidsignal?
Model: AU9-SL5-SWM-B-PWS
It costs extra because it has a switch built in?

Yes, but the difference in cost is less than if you added an external SWM8. That (or the 3 LNB version with SWM, which is slightly cheaper) will probably be the standard installation very soon, as a SWM is necessary for DECA networking.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: l630

Protected By... spam firewall...And...