Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV, Alcatel-Lucent target MDU service over twisted pair

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   markrubi

markrubi

Icon

• Registered
  • 692 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:18 PM

DIRECTV is tuning into the idea that a multi dwelling units (MDU) existing copper wiring is a sound conduit to deliver a triple play package (video, broadband Internet and VoIP) to residential subscribers.

Read more: http://www.fiercetel...9#ixzz0mXBNHfUm

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Fabuloso

Fabuloso

AllStar

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:24 PM

tags: Video · business · hardware · alternatives · DIRECTV
Alcatel-Lucent has dropped us a line to note that the company has partnered with DirecTV for what they're calling an "industry first": delivering DirecTV video services via VDSL2. According to the company, they've partnered with DirecTV to use existing phone wires to help deliver video in the 1,296-unit condo community of Shelter Creek in San Bruno, California. While many cable and phone companies are targeting greenfield (newly built) development communities with fiber to the home, DirecTV and Alcatel-Lucent apparently hope to carve out a niche in already-built brownfield deployments:
The Shelter Creek project is the largest installation using DIRECTV’s IPAdvantage technology and provides a model for offering DIRECTV’s services portfolio to large, older properties where rewiring poor-quality coaxial cable is not cost-effective or feasible. Using the existing, in-building telephone wiring is significantly less expensive and extends the investment in that infrastructure. It also minimizes the aesthetic impact on the community as well as inconvenience to residents.
DirecTV normally uses in-home coaxial to deliver TV services from the dish to the consumer's set top (and it's not clear that this solution is substantially better than coax, or a dozen other in-building networking options). The company insists this technology is "not to be confused with IPTV," and converts DirecTV video signals into IP video packets to IP-enabled receivers over a single home-run wire, delivering satellite TV, VoIP and data from a private "on property" head-end to each dwelling. DirecTV's almost-but-not-quite-interesting move comes three years after the FCC banned (sort of) exclusive cable development deals.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,548 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:29 PM

http://www.alcatel-l...icle_002053.xml

#4 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:44 PM

The company insists this technology is "not to be confused with IPTV,"...

Good.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#5 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,289 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:47 PM

So in summary it is a MFH3 installation using VDSL2 instead of ethernet. As I highly doubt DirecTV is building custom boxes that means a DSL modem in each unit to convert to ethernet that the boxes will recognize. Sounds expensive just to avoid stringing new cable.
My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:51 PM

DIRECTV and Alcatel-Lucent provide condo communities with the best in advanced video entertainment and telecommunications

El Segundo, Calif., and Paris -- DIRECTV (NASDAQ: DTV | Quote | Chart | News | PowerRating) and Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU | Quote | Chart | News | PowerRating) today announced that through the combination of DIRECTV's IPAdvantageaEURAc satellite-based IP platform and Alcatel-Lucent's VDSL2 technology and multimedia professional services, multi-dwelling unit residents will have access to a whole new world of advanced video entertainment services, blazing high-speed Internet access and voice over IP (VoIP) services.

Residents of the 1,296-unit condo community of Shelter Creek in San Bruno, Calif., are the first in the United States to benefit from the combination of these technologies that provide access to advanced video and telecommunications service bundles that were typically available only to residents in single family homes.

The Shelter Creek project is the largest installation using DIRECTV's IPAdvantageaEURAc technology and provides a model for offering DIRECTV's services portfolio to large, older properties where rewiring poor-quality coaxial cable is not cost-effective or feasible. Using the existing, in-building telephone wiring is significantly less expensive and extends the investment in that infrastructure. It also minimizes the aesthetic impact on the community as well as inconvenience to residents.

'The Shelter Creek project is a great example of how DIRECTV's services offering can be extended to properties of any age and any size on a nationwide basis - in a simple and cost-effective way,' said Dan Terheggen, CEO Consolidated Smart Systems, DIRECTV's Gardena, Calif.-based MDU service operator that spearheaded the project.

'The Shelter Creek residents tell us they are thrilled to now have more choice in services and be able to enjoy the same DIRECTV experience as those living in single-family homes. And we're getting rave reviews from the property managers who now have a terrific amenity to enhance the property's value and appeal, helping to increase occupancy in a competitive market.'

'DIRECTV's IPAdvantage technology has exponentially expanded the business opportunities for DIRECTV in the multi-dwelling unit market and we will continue to aggressively roll out this innovative technology in 2010 with 300 installations already planned,' said Mike Olson, vice president, MDU Sales for DIRECTV.

'Living in a large apartment or condo complex no longer means consumers have to settle for only one provider for their video entertainment and telecommunications services. DIRECTV believes in supporting choice for MDU residents and building owners, and Shelter Creek is an excellent example of how we can use IPAdvantage technology to provide that competitive choice.'

DIRECTV IPAdvantage, not to be confused with IPTV, converts DIRECTV video signals into IP video packets to IP-enabled receivers over a single home-run wire, delivering satellite TV and other services from a private 'on property' head-end to each customer's unit. The IP distribution platform, in addition to supporting advanced video services like HD and HDDVR receivers, also supports voice, internet and interactive services now enabling dealers to deliver IP-based dual or triple-play bundles. For more information visit: http://www.directv.c...rs/installation

'Essentially, Alcatel-Lucent's VDSL2 technology and multimedia integration services - including design, implementation, testing and 24 x 7 technical support - enable DIRECTV to target a new customer base, leveraging the existing copper infrastructure to provide residents in large, multi-dwelling developments with a wide range of exciting, bandwidth consuming services,' said Charles Marsh, vice president of Sales for Alcatel-Lucent North America Strategic Accounts.

'Alcatel-Lucent's VDSL2 solution is all about delivering high speeds at low cost, in the shortest possible timeframe. Through our continuous innovations in the DSL space, we significantly extend the life of the existing copper infrastructure. As such, we are enabling DIRECTV to address the condo market, positively impacting the 'digital life' experience of thousands of U.S. citizens,' he added.

About the Alcatel-Lucent solution

Alcatel-Lucent's VDSL2 solution is based on its 7330 Intelligent Services Access Manager (ISAM), part of Alcatel-Lucent's ISAM family - the world's most widely deployed IP access platform. Also included are the Alcatel-Lucent 7342 ISAM Fiber-to-the-User (FTTU) and the Enterprise family of products including the OmniSwitch 6850s and 6400s, OmniAccess 5740 and OmniVista 2500. Alcatel-Lucent also is serving as the master network integrator for the project and is providing everything from design to implementation, testing and 24 x 7 technical support.

About DIRECTV

DIRECTV (NASDAQ: DTV) is the world's most popular video service delivering state-of-the-art technology, unmatched programming, the most comprehensive sports packages available and industry leading customer service to its more than 25 million customers in the U.S. and Latin America. In the U.S., DIRECTV offers its more than 18.5 million customers the capacity for more than 200 HD channels in Dolby 5.1 theater-quality sound, access to exclusive sports programming such as NFL SUNDAY TICKETaEURAc, award winning technology like its DIRECTV DVR Scheduler and higher customer satisfaction than the leading cable companies for nine years running. DIRECTV Latin America, through its subsidiaries and affiliated companies in Brazil, Mexico, Argentina, Venezuela, Colombia, and other Latin American countries, leads the pay-TV category in technology, programming and service, delivering an unrivaled digital television experience to 6.5 million customers. DIRECTV sports and entertainment properties include three Regional Sports Networks (Northwest, Rocky Mountain and Pittsburgh) as well as a 65 percent interest in Game Show Network. For the most up-to-date information on DIRECTV, please call 1-800-DIRECTV or visit directv.com.

About Consolidated Smart Systems

Consolidated Smart Systems is a recognized industry leader in providing a variety of ancillary services to the multiple dwelling communities, including DIRECTV, America's most popular direct broadcast satellite, broadband high speed internet, digital voice services and domestic appliances. Operating for over 60 years Consolidated Smart Systems is known among property owners and management companies as a trusted partner in providing these service to their residents, which enhances ancillary service profits and resident retention in these communities. For more information on Consolidated Smart Systems, please visit our website www.consolidatedsmart.com.

About Alcatel-Lucent

Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) is the trusted transformation partner of service providers, enterprises, strategic industries such as defense, energy, healthcare, transportation, and governments worldwide, providing solutions to deliver voice, data and video communication services to end-users. A leader in fixed, mobile and converged broadband networking, IP technologies, applications and services, Alcatel-Lucent leverages the unrivalled technical and scientific expertise of Bell Labs, one of the largest innovation powerhouses in the communications industry. With operations in more than 130 countries and the most experienced global services organization in the industry, Alcatel-Lucent is a local partner with a global reach. Alcatel-Lucent achieved revenues of Euro 15.2 billion in 2009 and is incorporated in France, with executive offices located in Paris. For more information, visit Alcatel-Lucent on the Internet: http://www.alcatel-lucent.com

CONTACT: Alcatel-Lucent, Press Office e-mail: press@alcatel-lucent.com

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 April 2010 - 09:52 PM

Interesting technology. I know someone that is using this and was scratching my head as to what they were talking about. Now I get it.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:41 PM

So in summary it is a MFH3 installation using VDSL2 instead of ethernet. As I highly doubt DirecTV is building custom boxes that means a DSL modem in each unit to convert to ethernet that the boxes will recognize. Sounds expensive just to avoid stringing new cable.

Considering that some of those older developments use lots of materials that are not easy to string wiring through, such as brick, I think its smart to look at using existing infrastructure.

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,261 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 10:51 PM

So I assume that means there is still a dish, and its just one for the whole building? And it sounds like they are using the phone lines... Did I read it right each line needs to be a home run? If so, that won't work for every MDU... Probably only newer ones, so I must not be understanding that right...

#10 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

Under Suspicion

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:23 PM

Sounds similar to AT&T U-Verse; replacing the fiber backbone with a satellite?
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#11 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:32 PM

I like it, as long as it means D* isn't turning into an IPTV service :)

It seems like a good way to give customers a modern service on an 'obsolete' infrastructure.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#12 OFFLINE   brett_the_bomb

brett_the_bomb

Legend

• Registered
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 11:37 PM

i like the sounds of this, it will stop the apartments from saying no to sat tv as much.

#13 OFFLINE   Avder

Avder

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:01 AM

I like it, as long as it means D* isn't turning into an IPTV service :)

It seems like a good way to give customers a modern service on an 'obsolete' infrastructure.

Exactly. If they can manage to pull a hundred or so megabits out of existing copper that means they should be able to feed a couple of tuners over each phone line in the building.

#14 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 04:53 AM

http://en.wikipedia....bscriber_line_2

I think u-verse is ADSL2 or 2+

#15 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:04 AM

that's more bandwidth than u-verse presently provides with ADSL2/2+.

#16 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,646 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:23 AM

Qwest got out of the Triple Play over VDSL business this year. They transitioned their "Choice TV" subs to DirecTV. Let's see how this pans out.

#17 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:11 AM

I know someone that has received DIRECTV as part of this program. My friend has stated that it works well, but there are times when it cuts out causing programs to be missed. So I'm not sure it's going to work for everyone.

#18 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,289 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 30 April 2010 - 06:22 AM

Qwest got out of the Triple Play over VDSL business this year. They transitioned their "Choice TV" subs to DirecTV. Let's see how this pans out.

However Qwest's service was a solution similar to cable or FIOS in that the signal has to travel miles. This requires FTTN as VDSL2 can only handle a mile or two and still have the bandwidth necessary for video. In a MDU VDSL2 has more than enough bandwidth for video. I would be interested in what the issues that Doug referred to were.
My Setup

#19 OFFLINE   fornold

fornold

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:30 AM

I think u-verse is ADSL2 or 2+

U-Verse is VDSL and they are slowly upgrading to VDSL2. Houston was one of the first, San Antonio is getting it and Dallas is starting to upgrade. My neighborhood is supposed to be upgraded sometime this year. Don't know how quickly they are moving elsewhere.

#20 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

Under Suspicion

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:44 AM

U-Verse is VDSL and they are slowly upgrading to VDSL2. Houston was one of the first, San Antonio is getting it and Dallas is starting to upgrade. My neighborhood is supposed to be upgraded sometime this year. Don't know how quickly they are moving elsewhere.

That's what I gathered from this quote:

http://en.wikipedia....2#North_America

"AT&T has deployed Alcatel-Lucent VDSL2 equipment in street cabinets as a part of its U-verse service in FTTN based service. It plans to expand this to FTTC service in 2010."

So, this really is basically U-Verse with a satellite backbone, then...
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

Protected By... spam firewall...And...