Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV, Alcatel-Lucent target MDU service over twisted pair

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   CKNAV

CKNAV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 320 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:54 AM

http://en.wikipedia....bscriber_line_2

I think u-verse is ADSL2 or 2+

No it is not. ADSL is used for internet. UVERSE uses VDSL2. You can't send video thru ADSL2 as it does not have enough bandwith for decent video.

Alcatel supplies AT&T with UVERSE backbone equipment.
2 HR20-700
1 HR21-700
1 HR21-200
1 SWM8

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   CKNAV

CKNAV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 320 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:55 AM

U-Verse is VDSL and they are slowly upgrading to VDSL2. Houston was one of the first, San Antonio is getting it and Dallas is starting to upgrade. My neighborhood is supposed to be upgraded sometime this year. Don't know how quickly they are moving elsewhere.

All of UVERSE is now VDSL2.
2 HR20-700
1 HR21-700
1 HR21-200
1 SWM8

#23 OFFLINE   Bigg

Bigg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:28 AM

It's the same as U-Verse essentially, the big difference being a condo complex might have the dish system within, say 1000 feet of the unit or a lot less, not 3000 feet like AT&T, and the copper is in-building, not the older stuff out on the poles.

It's a sort of shoe-string and bubble gum solution, but it's a brilliant system for DirecTV to fall back on if a condo/ apartment owner/ association won't let their installers in to drop RG-6/RG-11.

Does anyone know what dishes they use? I can't imagine them just using a Slimline 5, but is there anything bigger, or do they have a 5-dish solution that uses bigger dishes.

I know someone who lives in an apartment (off-campus for a college) where they have DirecTV over a QAM-Modulated cable system, and they must be using an SL5 and a shoddy installation because it goes out all time (weather related, locals are fine).

#24 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:19 PM

I guess AT&T wont be making any bids for Directv any time soon. Its good technology to use if it works. Nothing wrong with a company finding new ways to transmit their programming and maybe this will get U-Verse to setup up their deployment and fix their current delivery system for tv.

#25 OFFLINE   tkrandall

tkrandall

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,795 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:42 PM

Thanks for the corrections on U-verse and vdsl.

#26 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:50 PM

I guess AT&T wont be making any bids for Directv any time soon.

What does this have to do with AT&T making a bid for DirecTV?

#27 OFFLINE   Movieman

Movieman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:33 PM

What does this have to do with AT&T making a bid for DirecTV?

I dont see AT&T making any bids when Directv is making introductions into similar technology and already having satellite. I think this is going to just make AT&T more aggressive in getting there product improved and expanded but I could easily be wrong. :)

#28 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:38 PM

I dont see AT&T making any bids when Directv is making introductions into similar technology and already having satellite.

While the delivery method is similar, the similarities stop there. DirecTV is not marketing this to end users.

#29 OFFLINE   Bigg

Bigg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:58 PM

I dont see AT&T making any bids when Directv is making introductions into similar technology and already having satellite. I think this is going to just make AT&T more aggressive in getting there product improved and expanded but I could easily be wrong. :)

This exact product is too small to show up on AT&T's radar, but more competition is always good! And, obviously it's good for the people who will get it, since they can get away from the local cable monster.

#30 OFFLINE   slimoli

slimoli

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 10:16 PM

My building has a MFH2 MDU system and it works very well but we need a separate provider for high-speed internet. I think this system will be a direct competition to the so called "triple-play" offered by ATT and cable companies. I have U-Verse DSL (no video) and Directv.

#31 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 03:44 AM

I think this system will be a direct competition to the so called "triple-play" offered by ATT and cable companies.

DirecTV isn't providing Internet or phone service. So no.

#32 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

*Recently Declassified

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:08 AM

DirecTV isn't providing Internet or phone service. So no.

Also I don't think this technology would include DirecWay internet service, either. Simply a video medium.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

#33 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,163 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:35 AM

So does anyone know how many HD and/or SD streams can be squeezed (or maybe typically squeezed) through the twisted-pair phone lines of this system?

I certainly like the concept, but wonder how much it suffers from the same bandwidth issues U-verse does in limiting the number of simultaneous program streams per phone line home run feed.

#34 OFFLINE   Bigg

Bigg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:25 PM

Also I don't think this technology would include DirecWay internet service, either. Simply a video medium.

The article says triple-play. I don't know whether DirecTV directly is doing triple-play, or whether another company handles phone lines and internet, but it's all three like U-Verse.

#35 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 05:51 PM

The article says triple-play. I don't know whether DirecTV directly is doing triple-play, or whether another company handles phone lines and internet, but it's all three like U-Verse.

The reason the article mentions triple-play is because this technology makes it possible to include DirecTV in a triple-play that is offered via regular phone lines. DirecTV has nothing to do with the data and voice, aside from allowing their service to be bundled alongside them on the same cable.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...