Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How many HRs on MRV + Ethernet

on demand

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:59 PM

just rotate the mrv playback.. hr#1>hr#2, hr#2>hr#3...
also maybe hr#1>hr#2, hr#2>HR#1....

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,120 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:37 AM

Finally got around to adding the tenth HR to my Ethernet network and began to experience problems. A couple HRs dropped off the net. And I couldn't access a couple others. Took a seldom used HR off the net and as soon as I was back to nine HRs, the problems went away. So, at least for me and my setup, nine HRs is the limit.

Still haven't had a chance to check the HRs ability to run multiple shows on multiple HRs and TVs and see what limitations exist there. I keep starting it and...well, I'm just lazy and it seems like a lot of work and I end up watching something, and nothing gets done. :lol:

I'll get around to doing it one of these days.

Rich

#28 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,120 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 09 May 2010 - 08:38 AM

just rotate the mrv playback.. hr#1>hr#2, hr#2>hr#3...
also maybe hr#1>hr#2, hr#2>HR#1....

I was just gonna put five HRs on five TVs and see what happens.

Rich

#29 OFFLINE   DTV_Man

DTV_Man

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:34 AM

So if I connected 2 swm-16's via deca to the same network would I be able to handle 10 DVR's with both Tuners (20 Channels)?

#30 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:25 PM

So if I connected 2 swm-16's via deca to the same network would I be able to handle 10 DVR's with both Tuners (20 Channels)?

We believe so, but I don't think anyone has been able to verify it yet.

#31 OFFLINE   webcrawlr

webcrawlr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:16 PM

That's a really interesting question about the bandwidth issues. I can try and see if there's a point where problems occur. Might as well use all five TVs and have them tuned to five HRs that are on my network. I guess that that's the limit I can test at. If you have any thoughts on how else to do it, tell me and I'll try to do it tomorrow. If five won't work, I'll knock it down to four and so on. Any other thoughts?

Rich

I can tell you from my testing that a "typical" 1080i program streamed from one DVR to the next shows around 8 megabits /sec. I've gone as far as steaming two programs off a single DVR while steaming one in to it (3 streams total) and showed peek rates around 24 megabits /sec on that switch port (16 out and 8 in). As far as bandwidth is concerned I don't think you'll see any issues. What the limit of the DVR is for encoding/decoding packets is the question.

#32 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,089 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:27 PM

I've gone as far as steaming two programs off a single DVR while steaming one in to it (3 streams total)

I find this a bit hard to believe since "one DVR" is limited to one incoming & one outgoing stream [two total].
A.K.A VOS

#33 OFFLINE   urnote96

urnote96

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:38 PM

i can tell you that i have a SWM LNB cloud and a SWM8 multiswitch cloud....two differnt networks talking to one another.

hr24 - h23 - d12 on swm lnb - deca cloud

hr23 - hr22 - hr22 on swm8 switch - hard wired via ethernet

all hx's see and share with one antoher
Exede Installer

#34 OFFLINE   webcrawlr

webcrawlr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:33 PM

I find this a bit hard to believe since "one DVR" is limited to one incoming & one outgoing stream [two total].

Hm. I'm going to have to go back through my notes. I swear it was 2 out and 1 in on a single dvr using direct2pc as one of them. I could be wrong, that was a while back.

#35 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:44 PM

i can tell you that i have a SWM LNB cloud and a SWM8 multiswitch cloud....two differnt networks talking to one another.

Any reason you didn't dump the 2 dish solution for a dual SWM8 approach, or are you just waiting on a SWM16?
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#36 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,089 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:56 PM

Hm. I'm going to have to go back through my notes. I swear it was 2 out and 1 in on a single dvr using direct2pc as one of them. I could be wrong, that was a while back.

If you have more than one DVR, it can be easy to get them mixed up.
In the early days it was one stream in or out and couldn't do one each way, but that has been resolved so it's one in and one out now.
If you use DirecTV2PC, it doesn't change the total count, so the DVR will feed either it or another client, while the DVR can still MRV from another DVR [staying within the one in & one out limit].
If you've started streaming to one client, another client will see a red circle with a white - in the center, in the playlist, to show the DVR's recording aren't available at the time.
A.K.A VOS

#37 OFFLINE   urnote96

urnote96

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 06:59 PM

Any reason you didn't dump the 2 dish solution for a dual SWM8 approach, or are you just waiting on a SWM16?

NO reason, just wanted to play with it and see how well the system works, its limitations and such. so far so good...no issues.
Exede Installer

#38 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 22,120 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:37 AM

Two nights ago, the wife and I settled down to watch TV. First time that day I'd had an HR on. I was using one of my 20-700s with a WD EADS 2TB internal and the picture was very jittery. Every program that I tried was jittery, whether it was recorded on that HR or one of the other ones.

OK. Figured there was something wrong with either the 20-700 or, worse case scenario, the WD HDD. So I switch to another 20-700 with a Seagate 1.5TB internal and the same thing happens. Now I'm getting worried. Off to the master bedroom, where the 20-700 with a Seagate 1.5 is. Same thing. But, now I've tried both dishes and gotten the same results.

Back to the HR I started off with. Unwatchable, but no problems with live programming. Thoroughly puzzled, I sat back and thought. The only common thing the two dishes have is the MRV. I shut the MRV down on that HR and the picture on a recording is still jumpy, but not as bad. Watched a couple hours of shows and it seemed to get better.

Figured it was because D* was gonna do the switch from beta to a permanent MRV and gave it no further thought. Yesterday, I considered the Ethernet system that I had installed myself and wondered what would happen if I started isolating HRs. Ended up taking them all off the MRV beta mode. All the HRs cleared up. Began adding the MRV to each HR and the jittering began on the recorded shows again.

Gave up and took all the HRs off MRV. Now they are all playing properly. Must be the Ethernet system. I was totally convinced that I had screwed something up. But then I thought that the problem had just popped up and I have been running nine HRs on the Ethernet system without any problems. More confusion.

Then, I go downstairs and turn on my computer. Can't access the Internet. My firewall is shut down and won't come back on. Reboot the cable modem and the router and the computer. All come back up and look OK. Computer still can't get the Internet. Reboot modem again. This time, after all the proper lights come on, the modem goes into standby. Reboot the modem four more times and the same thing happens.

Now I'm running out of patience and call Cablevision. They tell me to go get a new modem. I take the old modem and get ready to go to the CV store. Front door lock won't work. Have to use the deadbolt lock.

Finally, I get home, hook up the modem and call CV to authorize it. Internet comes up and when I go to the HRs they are fine. Turn on MRV for all nine and all is well. All that trouble and just a bad modem, which is pretty common for CV. At least I'll know what to do the next time the picture gets jittery.

But, what I don't get is how the doorknob got screwed up. Coincidence or convergence? Or just my bad luck? :)

Rich

#39 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,226 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:24 PM

9 DVRs with both tuners active could be run off 1 SWiM-16 & 1 dish.
8 in the SWiM mode and the ninth connected to the legacy ports with full function.
The 8 could used DECA and be bridged to your ethernet [with another DECA].
The ninth would be ethernet connected.
You could still add another DVR since there are another two legacy ports on the SWiM-16.
When you finally exceed 10 DVRs, you next step would be to add another SWiM-16 which can cascade off the first [by using the four legacy ports].
These two SWiM-16s could have their DECA clouds combined into one, as long as the total DECA count doesn't exceed 16, so that means 15 DVRs + one DECA to ethernet.

The SWiM-16 First Look says that the DECA cloud is limited to 16 nodes. So in your scenario, only nine nodes are being used. If you have a ninth and tenth DVR coming off of the legacy ports, could you send a third cable (off the SWiM splitter) to the ninth and tenth DVRs and use DECAs with PIs to connect them to the cloud?

Or if you connected a multiswitch (6x8) to the 4 legacy ports, couldn't you add 4 more DVRs, and by adding a third cable to each, make use of the SWiM-16 to add DECA only to these 4 locations?

#40 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,089 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 12:30 PM

The SWiM-16 First Look says that the DECA cloud is limited to 16 nodes. So in your scenario, only nine nodes are being used. If you have a ninth and tenth DVR coming off of the legacy ports, could you send a third cable (off the SWiM splitter) to the ninth and tenth DVRs and use DECAs with PIs to connect them to the cloud?

Or if you connected a multiswitch (6x8) to the 4 legacy ports, couldn't you add 4 more DVRs, and by adding a third cable to each, make use of the SWiM-16 to add DECA only to these 4 locations?

"Seems correct".
Keep the number of tuners at or below the SWiM limit, use coax from the SWiM to connect DECAs to receivers not on the SWiM, and keep the total number of DECA devices to at or below the 16 limit of the DECA cloud.
A.K.A VOS

#41 OFFLINE   webcrawlr

webcrawlr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:25 PM

If you have more than one DVR, it can be easy to get them mixed up.
In the early days it was one stream in or out and couldn't do one each way, but that has been resolved so it's one in and one out now.
If you use DirecTV2PC, it doesn't change the total count, so the DVR will feed either it or another client, while the DVR can still MRV from another DVR [staying within the one in & one out limit].
If you've started streaming to one client, another client will see a red circle with a white - in the center, in the playlist, to show the DVR's recording aren't available at the time.

You were 100% correct. I went back and sure enough it was two dvrs connected to a switch in the media room which in turn went back to the "core". Old setup which isn't how it is today. I also went and tested the scenario you just described and sure enough. 2 streams, no more. If you try it basically tells you no.. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: on demand

Protected By... spam firewall...And...