Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

When did you first get cable TV (non OTA)?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,740 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 16 May 2010 - 09:25 PM

Mom and Dad had cable at home (not that I watched alot). The Residence Hall at KU did not have cable for the common TVs.

Wife had "bootleg cable" when she moved into an apartment at KU.

Most of the first 2-3 years out of college - I didn't even OWN a TV, then got a 12 inch B/W (which still works with a converter box) which I used OTA. When we moved to an apartment in Jacksonville Fl - we did have cable, as well as the condo in Reston VA (there was no TV at all in the building without it).

Wife had cable in her apartment here. and we kept it for awhile when we moved into this house until we got Dish in Oct 2000 and locals became available later, then we dropped TWC like a hot potatoe (36 channel system at the time, and Dish was already beating it). Been OTA / Dish ever since.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 07:31 PM

About 1980 or so in Garden Grove, CA. They pulled the cables from power pole to power pole along the property lines. My wife was beside herself waiting to get it. And when the pull was completed I think they started hooking up on the other end of town. That really had her going :lol: They pulled a dual cable into the house and the STB had an a-b switch. Don't remember how many channels but a bunch compared to what was coming down off Mt Wilson :). And before the cable we had On-TV with an antenna mounted on our OTA antenna.

When I transferred to Bakersfield in 1985 we were amazed that the area had underground utilities including cable. Time-Warner it was.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#43 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 01:46 PM

My first cable TCI of Berkeley in 1977 just had ch 2-12 and A through O. All locals from SF, San Jose and Sacramento. They had a movie channel that came on 6PM with one movie a night. In 1979 they got CNN, WTCG (WTBS), ESPN, HBO. Horrid Service. You had to get up to change channels from a big box hooked to the TV.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#44 OFFLINE   Skyboss

Skyboss

Icon

• Registered
  • 585 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:28 AM

Late 80's in San Diego. Cable was available then, but I think it was in the early 1980's when it launched. They didn't have much to offer outside of locals other than ESPN, HBO, Showtime and MTV if I recall, so dad didn't really care to pay for what was then crystal clear pictures by way of OTA. If he could watch Padre games OTA he wouldn't have cable now, so during baseball season he has cox turn on basic cable. Otherwise, he's back to OTA.

#45 OFFLINE   purtman

purtman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,950 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:32 PM

We had it in Pawcatuck, CT in the early-mid 70s. However, across the river in Westerly, R.I., cable was introduced in the 1960s. I believe it was the first town in the U.S. to have cable TV.

#46 OFFLINE   Yes616

Yes616

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 07:04 AM

May 1977 brought the cable down my street and luckily too as a new radio station at 98.3 placed their tower less 1000 feet from my location effectively killing channel 11 for me. I complained to WSUL about this and they paid the $250.00 cable installation fee.

We had Cablevision Industries (CVI) in Monticello, NY. The channels were..

2 - WCBS (CBS) New York, NY
3 - Home Box Office
4 - WNBC (NBC) New York, NY
5 - WNEW (Ind. / Metromedia Television) New York, NY
6 - Local (Reuters News printed on screen / Stock prices scroll and some pictures)
7 - WABC (ABC) New York, NY
8 - WNEP (ABC) Scranton, PA
9 - WOR (Ind. / RKO Television) New York, NY
10- WBRE (NBC) Wilkes-Barre, PA
11- WPIX (Ind.) New York, NY
12- WDAU (CBS) Scranton, PA
13- WNET (PBS) Newark, NJ

The cost was $9.95 for everything except that HBO was an extra $9.95 for total monthly bill of $19.90. More channels using a set top box were added in October 1979 but that is the start of a very long story. ;)

#47 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:54 AM

1978 Bayshore Cablevision - Middletown NJ. 25 miles via the crow to NYC but had each and every PHL channel and WTBS ch 17 from ATLANTA.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#48 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:11 PM

First apartment right out of college, December '83.

Moved to very rural house on a lake, eventually a cable company that serves that type of area came in.

Moved into the city, cable again.

Got a bonus and NFL Sunday Ticket Launched on BUD. Had one as quickly as I could get it in. (DIRECTV didn't have NFL ST yet, looked very closely.)

Dad and I both moved about the same time beginning 1998. Him into a new rural house in WI, me to Phoenix. Caught a fantastic deal on 2nd gen panny DIRECTV receiver/dish combos for both of us. Been DIRECTV ever since.

Cheers,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#49 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:35 PM

FirstGot a bonus and NFL Sunday Ticket Launched on BUD. Had one as quickly as I could get it in. (DIRECTV didn't have NFL ST yet, looked very closely.)

There was a very small window where DirecTV didn't have ST. I got it sometime in October/November 1994. Paid for a partial season.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#50 OFFLINE   Game Fan

Game Fan

Baseball Is Life

• DBSTalk Club
  • 739 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:36 PM

1981 for me. I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

#51 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,908 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:11 PM

NYC (South of E96th Street)
Time Warner Cable TV
Either late 60's or early 70's

Paid for basic, but if you went to the roof, you could remove the filter and get MSG.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

Protected By... spam firewall...And...