Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone own a Roku streaming player?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:01 AM

I picked up the Roku HD player (http://www.roku.com/roku-products) last week. My first impression, very cool! Video quality very good (on Sony 52" TV)! Also surprised to see Amazon streaming DD 5.1 audio with their HD movies. I wish Netflix would stream DD 5.1 too.

Anyhow, any cool channels I should know about? Any cool features to share?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:40 PM

Roku Adds UFC Channel to Sports Lineup:

Roku is boosting the amount of sports content available on its Broadband set-top box with a new Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) channel just added to its Channel Store. The two companies have agreed to a multi-year deal through which UFC will make all major pay-per-view events available for live viewing on the Roku player.

The first event takes place Saturday, May 29, when Rampage Jackson and Rashad Evans will battle it out in a match that will be streamed live from the MGM Grand Arena in Las Vegas. In addition to live events, the UFC channel also has an archive of past matches in the UFC Vault, access to live, pre-fight events like official weigh-ins, and video from press conferences held before and after the fights.

Full story: http://newteevee.com...-sports-lineup/

Roku site: http://www.roku.com/ufc-partner

#3 OFFLINE   DavidMi

DavidMi

Legend

• Banned User
  • 123 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:42 PM

I want one of these, how is the video quality in HD?

#4 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 01:52 PM

I want one of these, how is the video quality in HD?

Far better than I expected. Some Amazon movies play in DD 5.1 too. On a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being DIRECTV HD, I give Roku HD an 8. A fast internet is a must for HD content.

My internet speed details are within my setup link.

#5 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,667 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 03:41 PM

I suspect now that Walmart bought them....you'll see and hear more about them as well.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#6 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:41 PM

I suspect now that Walmart bought them....you'll see and hear more about them as well.

i dont remember walmart buying roku. i think they bought vodu.

#7 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,667 posts

Posted 17 May 2010 - 06:49 PM

i dont remember walmart buying roku. i think they bought vodu.

DOH - you're absolutely right.

I seem to confuse those the two names.

My bad. :blush:
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#8 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:44 PM

Word around the campfire, Roku will release the new, fully revamped Netflix interface today or tomorrow. A free download. You’ll no longer need to add streaming movies via PC. You’ll now have the option to browse the entire streaming database via the Roku player.

http://www.roku.com/netflix-partner

#9 OFFLINE   reber1b

reber1b

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:34 PM

Far better than I expected. Some Amazon movies play in DD 5.1 too. On a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being DIRECTV HD, I give Roku HD an 8. A fast internet is a must for HD content.

My internet speed details are within my setup link.

How fast is your internet connection on speedtest.net? I tried to view your setup, but apparently I lack some privileges here. Other than Netflicks, how much stuff are you having to pay for, and where's the best place to find what's available?

Thanks

#10 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:03 AM

How fast is your internet connection on speedtest.net? I tried to view your setup, but apparently I lack some privileges here. Other than Netflicks, how much stuff are you having to pay for, and where's the best place to find what's available?

Thanks

5.13 Mb/s via speedtest.net

Most channels are free. Check the Roku site: http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store

This will give you an idea what is free.

#11 OFFLINE   reber1b

reber1b

Legend

• Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 02:45 PM

5.13 Mb/s via speedtest.net

Most channels are free. Check the Roku site: http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store

This will give you an idea what is free.

Thanks Hutch, I'll check out the Roku channel store pages. I'm seriously intrigued by Roku, and I think it's gonna grow a lot in the near future.

spam firewall