Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Farewell Mr. Harwell

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,425 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:42 PM

Many days of my youth/adulthood were spent listening to Ernie Harwell.

A class act and he'll be sorely missed.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 10:48 PM

I saw that a little while ago.... A sad day for baseball, and more specifically Tigers fans, for sure.
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#3 OFFLINE   max1

max1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 386 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 11:07 PM

yep agree truely a sad day for baseball he will be missed Godspeed Ernie you will be missed.

#4 OFFLINE   jodyguercio

jodyguercio

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,793 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:58 AM

Sad day for baseball, another true "voice" of a team is gone. RIP Mr Harwell.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

LIVE SIMPLE, LOVE GENEROUSLY , CARE DEEPLY, SPEAK KINDLY AND LEAVE THE REST TO GOD

#5 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,161 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:14 AM

Man was a legend and a genuinely nice guy. His obit in today's New York Times is a good read.

"He conveyed warmth through a relaxed and humorous style that mixed the precise details of the game, player anecdotes, tales about his wife, Lulu, and idiosyncratic phrases that defined him to millions of listeners.

A player retired on a called third strike “stood there like the house by the side of the road” or was “called out for excessive window shopping.” A double play was “two for the price of one.” A foul ball that reached the stands was caught by “a man from Saginaw” or any other city or town that came to mind at the moment."

Heard on the news this morning he's being honored tonight by Fordham University's radio station, along with CBS's Bob Schieffer.
/steve

#6 OFFLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 07:46 AM

God bless you, Ernie. You were the voice of summer while I was growing up. There will never be another like you. :(
- Tony

SWiM16, H21-100, H23-600, H21-700 w/AM21, HR24-500, HR24-100 w/AM21, (3) HR20-700
All receivers networked via DECA
MediaShare using TVersity on Win 7 VM over Mac Snow Leopard

#7 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,989 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:17 AM

:(

Ernie was simply great.
I listened to him almost every day as a kid.
He was a big part of my childhood memories.
Baseball will never be quite the same.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#8 OFFLINE   Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 09:55 AM

I heard on the radio on the way to work that they're having a public viewing at Comerica park today. Started at 7:00 am and will last until every person who wants to pay their respects has had the opportunity to do so!

I also saw a quote yesterday from Jon Miller, he said Ernie Harwell told him "On TV, you get the 'movie verson'. Radio is the Novel".

While my youth was spent listening to other radio announcers... it's sad to have another one of the greats taken from us.
"There's a statistical theory that if you gave a million monkey's typewriters and set them to work, they'd eventually come up with the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Internet, we now know this isn't true" -Ian Hart

#9 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 12:57 PM

I used to listen to Ernie Harwell on WJR when I lived in Erie, PA with my grandfather on summer nights. He was a Tigers fan (I was a Yankees fan). I can still remember the hot humid nights sitting on my grandfather's front porch listen on his little battery operated radio to Mr. Harwell calling balls and strikes. I can hear his call even now. RIP Mr. Harwell. I wasn't a Tigers fan, but you made me actually root for them at times (when they weren't playing NY).
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

spam firewall