Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Weird OTA reception

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bleggett29

bleggett29

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:34 AM

Can anyone tell me why I can't get any OTA reception 50 miles away but can get full power for stations 100 miles away?
My approx. location 38.256953,-76.479306 -- about 50-55 SW of Wash., DC. I've mounted an 8-bay bowtie antenna up about 15 feet several days ago. Been trying like mad to get DC stations. Once in a while I'll get 66.1 from DC, and 22.1 from Anappolis; both with crappy signal. Or I can turn the ant. toward Salisbury, MD and get 16.1, 47.1, and 28.1 with reasonable signal. Tonight, I noticed 15.1 WHRO was showing up during a scan. I lived in Norfolk back in the late 80's and knew instantly where that was from---just a bit over 100 miles away! My curiosity go me and pointed the ant. due south. OMG! I was getting nearly all the major stations from Norfolk at full power. WTH? Can someone explain this to me?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:53 AM

There are all kinds of possible reasons:

- The broadcasting antennas aren't going to be completely omni-directional; you may be in a null area of the antenna.

- Terrain features between you and the antenna (hills/trees).

- RF interference from nearby sources.

- Inadequate or inappropriate antenna (are any of these stations transmitting on VHF frequencies [2-13]?)

- Stations not broadcasting with adequate power.

Start by going to http://www.tvfool.com, enter your address, select "Digital Only", and post the resulting plot here.

#3 OFFLINE   bleggett29

bleggett29

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:32 PM

There are all kinds of possible reasons:

- The broadcasting antennas aren't going to be completely omni-directional; you may be in a null area of the antenna.

- Terrain features between you and the antenna (hills/trees).

- RF interference from nearby sources.

- Inadequate or inappropriate antenna (are any of these stations transmitting on VHF frequencies [2-13]?)

- Stations not broadcasting with adequate power.

Start by going to http://www.tvfool.com, enter your address, select "Digital Only", and post the resulting plot here.

tvfool report
Yes, I know I'm in an area that's in a void. Hell, we can barely get any decent FM here. My ant. is rated for 12db gain in the mid UHF range. I have a pre-amp only to compinsate for the 75 foot RG6 run. I figure I should be able to pick up anything with -10db(NM) or less(UHF of course).
But I believe I have found the answer for my original question---Tropo Ducting. I was actually able to get decent signals from DC, Baltimore, Richmond and the Norfolk stations last night after posting. Hell, I was able to get Richmond and Norfolk or Richmond and DC at the same time with the ant. pointed midway between.
I knew from the start it would be unlikely to pick up anything useful. I was just wondering why I was getting long distant stations and not mid distant stations. Looks like I found my answer. And got the mid distant stations after some tweeking the direction of the ant.

Pretty interesting stuff Tropo ducting does.

#4 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:49 PM

Stations in Maryland are mostly over water from you, whereas DC is overland.

Over water is much easier for signal propagation plus Salisbury is 10 miles closer.

The 100 mile away signal was probably tropospheric ducting which will occur occasionally allowing reception 200, 300, 400 miles, but it is not reliable in any sense.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...