Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV, YES, and FS Northwest partner for first MLB broadcast in 3D

tv show

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:24 AM

Linky

Snippet for the story....

The YES Network, FSN Northwest and DIRECTV will present the first-ever Major League Baseball telecasts in 3D on Saturday, July 10 and Sunday, July 11 when the New York Yankees take on the Seattle Mariners. DIRECTV and Panasonic will be presenting sponsors of the two 3D telecasts.

The historic 3D broadcasts from Safeco Field in Seattle will be made available to DIRECTV HD customers who have 3D TV sets and live within the YES "home team footprint," which includes all of New York State and Connecticut, north and central New Jersey, and northeast Pennsylvania.

The 3D telecasts will also air live within the FSN Northwest footprint, including the entire states of Washington, Oregon, Alaska and parts of Montana and Idaho. The Saturday, July 10 game telecast will begin at 10:00 p.m. ET, and the Sunday, July 11 game telecast will begin at 4:00 p.m. ET. YES and FSN Northwest will both also produce their traditional HD telecasts of both games.

My big question is will it be available to MLB EI subs on CONUS beams or will this 3D broadcast be on Spot Beams just into to two DMAs?
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Bedroom: H21-200 w/AM-21 | Westinghouse LVM-42w2 (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 05 May 2010 - 10:34 AM

Bummer, I don't get YES or FSNNW.

Probably won't have my TV adapter by then anyway.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:27 AM

it would be nice if it were on EI

#4 OFFLINE   mikewsu

mikewsu

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:29 AM

No 3D HDTV, but cool that FSN NW is participating in the first MLB broadcast.

#5 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:31 AM

it would be nice if it were on EI

From theDTV twitter inresponse to my question...

linky

theDTV

@jefbal99 I believe if you have HD Access and a compatible TV that should work. Will investigate, though.

Sounds like it will be CONUS

No 3D HDTV, but cool that FSN NW is participating in the first MLB broadcast.

Doesn't shock me as FSN NW is DirecTV owned and they did some of the first Fox Sports HD regional telecasts when NHK came over to broadcast Ichrio games back to Japan. I remember reading over at AVS about the TV broadcasters calling the game and having no clue when/if replays would come up, what camera angles would be used, etc because they were just using the HD feed.
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

#6 OFFLINE   KNPKH2ster

KNPKH2ster

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 11:42 AM

I dont have a 3DTV but thats pretty cool to hear.

#7 OFFLINE   Whogaman

Whogaman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:01 PM

I have heard that 3D tv is on the horizon, but there aren't that many 3D sets out there and those there are cost a lot. Perhaps this is a gimic. I wonder where I can get 3D glasses?
"Like the only real magic--the magic of knowledge"

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,749 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:27 PM

I have heard that 3D tv is on the horizon, but there aren't that many 3D sets out there and those there are cost a lot. Perhaps this is a gimic. I wonder where I can get 3D glasses?

Cheapest I've seen at Best Buy is about $1800 for a 40" that comes with 2 pair. Not sure if it supports the type of 3D DirecTV will support though.

#9 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 03:48 PM

The showing will be on a national Directv beam. It probably will be on one of the announced national channels of 3D however it will probably be blacked out in non market areas. Sort of a non event for most of us.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#10 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:30 PM

Cheapest I've seen at Best Buy is about $1800 for a 40" that comes with 2 pair. Not sure if it supports the type of 3D DirecTV will support though.

I have been extremely underwhelmed by the 3D floor demo at Best Buy. And even if it was mind blowing, those glasses get old real quick. I think I'll take my baseballs to the face live and in person, thank you. :eek2:

#11 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,178 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 05:05 PM

Thanks for the heads up

JACK,

#12 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,434 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:02 PM

I paid $650 for my 60" Mits back in November or so and with the $100 adapter it will support D*'s 3D implementation. Today it's easily found for $900 or so and the 65" is often had for around $1300. Of course, I'll have to get the glasses too, but still pretty cheap overall.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:41 AM

Thanks for the heads up

Can't help but wonder how Yes got involved. They can't broadcast a Yankees' game without dropouts and pixellations and now they are gonna try 3D? Yes is the only channel that I have these problems with and it can't be blamed on my HRs, the problems persist no matter which of my eleven HRs are used. It's not horrible, but I can't help but wonder why Yes is the only channel I have these problems with. Don't you notice them during a game? And these are Yankees games, you'd think the Yankees' management would strive for perfection in it's broadcasting as they do on the field.

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 11:54 AM

Can't help but wonder how Yes got involved. They can't broadcast a Yankees' game without dropouts and pixellations and now they are gonna try 3D? Yes is the only channel that I have these problems with and it can't be blamed on my HRs, the problems persist no matter which of my eleven HRs are used. It's not horrible, but I can't help but wonder why Yes is the only channel I have these problems with. Don't you notice them during a game? And these are Yankees games, you'd think the Yankees' management would strive for perfection in it's broadcasting as they do on the field.

Rich

Very strange, I watched many YES HD broadcasts during the MLB EI preview and they were top notch. I enjoy YES and NESN as I think they are top class in regards to game production among the RSNs.

I'd look at the TP map and see where YES is located, then check that TP on your HR signal strength screens. Perhaps you have an infrastructure issue with Wiring from the Dish to your Multiswitch(es) or an LNB issue that is just starting to manifest itself.

#15 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:26 PM

Very strange, I watched many YES HD broadcasts during the MLB EI preview and they were top notch. I enjoy YES and NESN as I think they are top class in regards to game production among the RSNs.

I'd look at the TP map and see where YES is located, then check that TP on your HR signal strength screens. Perhaps you have an infrastructure issue with Wiring from the Dish to your Multiswitch(es) or an LNB issue that is just starting to manifest itself.

I gather you're getting it on the MLB package. Might be the difference. I get it on two dishes, so I'm pretty sure it's the broadcast and not anything in my system. This has been going on for a long time, as long as I've been watching Yes on D* in HD. That would be over three years. As far as I know, I have two very well aligned dishes and have the HRs split between the two dishes. If it were what you propose, I would think one of the two systems would function differently than the other and they both return high signal strengths.

As I said in an earlier post, it's not horrible, it's not even annoying. It just bothers me that it happens on the Yankees station, where I expect perfection, both on the field and off. :)

Rich

#16 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 01:42 PM

I gather you're getting it on the MLB package. Might be the difference. I get it on two dishes, so I'm pretty sure it's the broadcast and not anything in my system. This has been going on for a long time, as long as I've been watching Yes on D* in HD. That would be over three years. As far as I know, I have two very well aligned dishes and have the HRs split between the two dishes. If it were what you propose, I would think one of the two systems would function differently than the other and they both return high signal strengths.

As I said in an earlier post, it's not horrible, it's not even annoying. It just bothers me that it happens on the Yankees station, where I expect perfection, both on the field and off. :)

Rich

Very interesting situation you have. No difference between watching on MLB EI or in the home team area, both use the same feed from the same satellite on the same TP. Prior to D10/D11, there was a dedicated feed into the DMA from SW1/SW2, but that was changed in 2007.

Next free preview, I will watch more closely to see if there is anything noticeable in my setup for YES.

Give this a go... YES HD is on D10 TP8, check both of your ODUs and see what the signal strength is there. Also watch 207 ESPNews HD, 248 FX HD, 554 TMC HD, and/or 639 SNY HD. Those channels share that TP with YES HD, see if you notice break up on those feeds as well.

#17 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:21 AM

Very interesting situation you have. No difference between watching on MLB EI or in the home team area, both use the same feed from the same satellite on the same TP. Prior to D10/D11, there was a dedicated feed into the DMA from SW1/SW2, but that was changed in 2007.

Next free preview, I will watch more closely to see if there is anything noticeable in my setup for YES.

Give this a go... YES HD is on D10 TP8, check both of your ODUs and see what the signal strength is there. Also watch 207 ESPNews HD, 248 FX HD, 554 TMC HD, and/or 639 SNY HD. Those channels share that TP with YES HD, see if you notice break up on those feeds as well.

Oddly, last night's game with Boston was perfect. I do watch a lot of programming on FX and TMC and ESPN and see nothing like what I see on Yes. I do watch every Yankees game and only see those issues I mentioned during the games. I usually record Mike Francesca's show in the afternoon on Yes and see no problems with that. As I said, this has been going on for years with the Yankees' games. During that time, I've had many realignments and a couple dishes and and an extra dish added. I really think it's the broadcast, not my system. Other Yankees' fans in my area have told me the same thing. When they ask me what I do about it, I just tell them live with it and hope the Yanks win. :)

Rich

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:31 AM

I really wish I had some idea whether 3D is gonna catch on. I'm sitting on $3,000 for a new TV and I had my eye on a Sony LCD that isn't 3D ready, but now I'm hesitant to pull the trigger. One reason is that I can't imagine a TV worth that much money, another reason is that the Sony will be selling for half that price in less than a year and to add to the confusion, Panasonic's new line of plasmas is coming out. And they are 3D capable.

The glasses are a problem. I can't wear contact lenses and I would spring for prescription 3D glasses if I was certain that this wasn't just a passing fad.

Unfortunately that three grand isn't gonna last forever. If I don't spend it, my wife will. :)

Rich

#19 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 06:34 AM

I've been watching YES since it was first lit up back in 2006 (?) and never noticed anything out of the ordinary wrong with the signal. Like jefbal99 mentioned, they have as good a picture as any of the rsn's, if not the best IMHO. I'm also guessing it's something in your setup.

#20 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,474 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:22 AM

I've been watching YES since it was first lit up back in 2006 (?) and never noticed anything out of the ordinary wrong with the signal. Like jefbal99 mentioned, they have as good a picture as any of the rsn's, if not the best IMHO. I'm also guessing it's something in your setup.

OK, I give up. I'll check everything, just as I do at least once a week. :)...

Just got done checking both dishes, and the signals are fine. Nothing has changed. Please note that my entire system, from the dishes to the HRs has been rebuilt using the PP who were authorized to do so by the CMG. Every connector is compression, not crimped, and all cables were replaced during the rebuild. I have two multi-switches, one on each dish and both function as they should.

So, I have two systems, and each one is pretty near the other as far as sat sigs go. I've stayed on top of my system since it was rebuilt in 2008 and see no changes. But I do get dropouts and pixellations while watching games. Only games and only on Yes. I can live with this, I appreciate the help, but I wasn't asking for help. It just struck me as strange that Yes would be the one channel to preview baseball games in 3D. It's nice to see that others have no problems, but, as I said in a previous post, other people in my area see the same things I do. It's not just me and it's not every game. I see no reason to pursue what I find only mildly annoying, let's go back on topic.

Rich

spam firewall